Author Topic: 2018 Kawasaki H2 SX SE first ride review  (Read 8269 times)

Offline mikeb2411

Re: 2018 Kawasaki H2 SX SE first ride review
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 03:18:04 PM »
Oh, almost forgot the most important upgrade...STEVE'S FLASH...100%!
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2018, 03:54:08 PM »
I wasn’t saying you couldn’t install the CC. I was just saying for the amount you would save, you could easily afford to have all the work done as if it had come that way from the factory, and still save a boatload of money vs the beemer.

I have no idea if the BMW motorcycles are like their cars or not, but the cars had idiot lights for everything and the dealer was the only one that could rest them for $150 each time. It was ridiculous! Oil change light, air filter light, brake service light, you name it there was a light for it! None were able to be reset by the end user or even a shop other than the dealership. Just before I sold it, I took it in one time and had all the lights reset. Dash looked like a Christmas tree the whole time I owned that car! I vowed never to buy another BMW... EVER!!! It was a nice car, but I refuse to be held hostage to a dealership like that!
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2018, 04:03:49 PM »
Sorry, Poseidon, I wasn't implying you were saying anything against my awesome and sick ability to install my own cc ::)! I was just saying I would do it because I could and I enjoyed it...as twisted as that sounds :o! And, your story, along with those from others, make BMW a scary choice! But, my only 2 choices will be the C14 or RT, not sure I am ready for the Adventure bike, and nothing else out there appeals to me, and the Concours still has my heart! Here's my ONLY hesitation on a new C14, THE SEAT! I had the 2012 and went through 4 different seats and nothing could keep me on that bike all day and be comfortable...I was sore! With the Triumph Trophy, and the optional Triumph comfort seat, ALL DAY COMFORT and then some! The seat on my Trophy is sooooo good it's ridiculous! I feel the BMW RT would offer similar comfort as does the Trophy and that is why I even lean in the direction of the RT...comfort! Just like the RT's maintenance and ownership costs scare me, the comfort, or lack of, on the Concours scares me! I did a 10 day, 5k mile road trip on my C14 and was SORE. I could do that same trip on my Trophy and never want to get off the bike...could literally ride it all day, every day, with ease! So you can see my dilemma!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline olie

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2018, 04:43:01 PM »
mike, I should try the Kawasaki Touring seat.... it's that good...even my pillion agrees. ;)
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2018, 04:43:57 PM »
mike, I should try the Kawasaki Touring seat.... it's that good...even my pillion agrees. ;)

The optional Kawi touring seat with the gel inserts?
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline olie

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2018, 04:59:16 PM »
no, it's a completely new one, released in 2015 I believe. I bought it 2y ago, sold my Sargent, never looked at anything else. I will get you a Kawasaki site link

https://www.kawasaki.com/accessories/item/2016-concours-14-abs/touring-seat/ZG1400EGFL/999940500
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2018, 05:17:09 PM »
One other thing to consider is warranty comparison between brands.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2018, 05:42:35 PM »
One other thing to consider is warranty comparison between brands.
True.  When I retired, I was considering a new BMW.  The mechanics were insisting on buying the $1500, five year unlimited mileage warranty.  Then I came across my Sergeant’s C14...
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2018, 10:17:15 PM »
Sorry, Poseidon, I wasn't implying you were saying anything against my awesome and sick ability to install my own cc ::)! I was just saying I would do it because I could and I enjoyed it...as twisted as that sounds :o! And, your story, along with those from others, make BMW a scary choice! But, my only 2 choices will be the C14 or RT, not sure I am ready for the Adventure bike, and nothing else out there appeals to me, and the Concours still has my heart! Here's my ONLY hesitation on a new C14, THE SEAT! I had the 2012 and went through 4 different seats and nothing could keep me on that bike all day and be comfortable...I was sore! With the Triumph Trophy, and the optional Triumph comfort seat, ALL DAY COMFORT and then some! The seat on my Trophy is sooooo good it's ridiculous! I feel the BMW RT would offer similar comfort as does the Trophy and that is why I even lean in the direction of the RT...comfort! Just like the RT's maintenance and ownership costs scare me, the comfort, or lack of, on the Concours scares me! I did a 10 day, 5k mile road trip on my C14 and was SORE. I could do that same trip on my Trophy and never want to get off the bike...could literally ride it all day, every day, with ease! So you can see my dilemma!

I have nothing to compare to since my 2017 Concours is the only one I've been on, but my stock seat is all day comfortable. I have rode fuel stop to fuel stop and not wanted to get off for a break the way I normally would on other bikes. When I do stop for a break, it is normally to stretch my legs. Coming from the cruiser world, I'm still not 100% used to the foot position yet.

I've read that Kawasaki changed the seat in 2015 I believe. Must have been a big improvement because I have also read where lots of guys complain about the stock seat on the older bikes.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2018, 05:11:50 AM »
Best way to describe the early seats is like sitting on a slanted, banana skin covered two by six that used the gas tank for a stop so you didn't slide off.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2018, 11:11:38 AM »
no, it's a completely new one, released in 2015 I believe. I bought it 2y ago, sold my Sargent, never looked at anything else. I will get you a Kawasaki site link

https://www.kawasaki.com/accessories/item/2016-concours-14-abs/touring-seat/ZG1400EGFL/999940500

Thank you Olie, that is the seat I saw and would order when that time comes!

Best way to describe the early seats is like sitting on a slanted, banana skin covered two by six that used the gas tank for a stop so you didn't slide off.

That is so true, that seat was TERRIBLE!

I've read that Kawasaki changed the seat in 2015 I believe. Must have been a big improvement because I have also read where lots of guys complain about the stock seat on the older bikes.

From what I understand, the seat AND the riding position changed in 2015 due to all the complaints about comfort, or lack of.

I dropped my Trophy off yesterday to get it repaired under warranty and they had a brand new 2018, no miles, Connie on the floor for $11,8k...I was so tempted to sit down and deal right then and there but I want to wait a year and get the Trophy paid down...then it'll be time! Also, I spoke with the guys I know at the shop and they seem to think there is no plan to discontinue the Concours, so I really do hope they are correct!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2018, 01:15:08 PM »

I dropped my Trophy off yesterday to get it repaired under warranty and they had a brand new 2018, no miles, Connie on the floor for $11,8k...

WOW  :o

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2018, 01:16:49 PM »
kind of my reaction too!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2018, 05:13:20 AM »
I dropped my Trophy off yesterday to get it repaired under warranty and they had a brand new 2018, no miles, Connie on the floor for $11,8k...I was so tempted to sit down and deal right then and there but I want to wait a year and get the Trophy paid down...then it'll be time! Also, I spoke with the guys I know at the shop and they seem to think there is no plan to discontinue the Concours, so I really do hope they are correct!

I hope they are correct, but I can say from experience that the dealerships had absolutely no warning before Polaris dropped the Victory line. Most manufacturers keep info like that to themselves until the time comes.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R