Author Topic: Need an ERGO do over  (Read 3527 times)

Offline eng943

Need an ERGO do over
« on: April 30, 2018, 02:51:41 PM »
The AST riser with pull back are not quite enough, and the Laam seat are not going to cut it for me. I think I need to go to the Heli-Horizon risers and a Russell seat.

My current set up has me feeling like I am sliding forward, and on decel or decline roads I feel a lot of pressure on my wrists and strain in my neck.   
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Need an ERGO do over
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 03:05:47 PM »
Not a cure but an aid....have you invested in tank pads so your knees grip?
https://techspec-usa.com/motorcycles/kawasaki/kawasaki-concours-2010-current-snake-skin-tank-grip-pads.html

Offline PH14

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 04:07:38 PM »
The AST riser with pull back are not quite enough, and the Laam seat are not going to cut it for me. I think I need to go to the Heli-Horizon risers and a Russell seat.

My current set up has me feeling like I am sliding forward, and on decel or decline roads I feel a lot of pressure on my wrists and strain in my neck.

The Kawasaki Touring seat cured it for me. I am in a much better position, do not slide forward, and the seat is comfortable on 800+ mile days. YMMV

Offline eng943

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 06:17:21 PM »
Not a cure but an aid....have you invested in tank pads so your knees grip?
https://techspec-usa.com/motorcycles/kawasaki/kawasaki-concours-2010-current-snake-skin-tank-grip-pads.html

I did do that. It helps to an extent when wearing full aerostitch. If just jeans, than not real help. 
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 06:40:13 PM »
The Kawasaki Touring seat cured it for me. I am in a much better position, do not slide forward, and the seat is comfortable on 800+ mile days. YMMV

I am looking for an upgrade to the stock seat also.  Where do I find this Touring seat?  I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 07:42:16 PM »
The Helibar HorizonSTs made an enormous difference for me.  They are damn expensive, but I wouldn’t ever go back.  They gave my back relief and helped my hands from going numb so often. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline PH14

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 08:36:46 PM »
I am looking for an upgrade to the stock seat also.  Where do I find this Touring seat?  I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Here it is on the Kawasaki site. Amazon used to have it. https://www.kawasaki.com/accessories/item/2017-concours14-abs/touring-seat/ZG1400EHFL/999940500

Offline eng943

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 04:18:34 AM »
The Helibar HorizonSTs made an enormous difference for me.  They are damn expensive, but I wouldn’t ever go back.  They gave my back relief and helped my hands from going numb so often.

Did you have risers before going to the Horizon ST?

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 08:37:16 AM »

I see from your equipment listed that you started with a Baldwin seat and probably had Laam modify it. IMHO, you can't do better than Laam. He completely rebuilt my seat at no cost after 8 years and 75,000 miles when the leather was getting a little worn from all the sun and rain exposure. He will make you happy no matter if the first go around didn't work. What other company has this type of warranty these days?

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 08:44:31 AM »
Did you have risers before going to the Horizon ST?

Yes.  The lean was still a little too much for me compared to the BMW RT1200.
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 08:47:16 AM »
Here it is on the Kawasaki site. Amazon used to have it. https://www.kawasaki.com/accessories/item/2017-concours14-abs/touring-seat/ZG1400EHFL/999940500

Thanks for the link.  I saw one on Amazon just now for the same price as the Kaw site.

Offline eng943

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 10:30:09 AM »
I see from your equipment listed that you started with a Baldwin seat and probably had Laam modify it. IMHO, you can't do better than Laam. He completely rebuilt my seat at no cost after 8 years and 75,000 miles when the leather was getting a little worn from all the sun and rain exposure. He will make you happy no matter if the first go around didn't work. What other company has this type of warranty these days?

Baldwin was on my old C14. I had Seth do my seat this time around, and they are an outstanding group. Going to try the Horizons first, that may help the comfort and stop the slide forward.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 03:39:00 PM »
Baldwin was on my old C14. I had Seth do my seat this time around, and they are an outstanding group. Going to try the Horizons first, that may help the comfort and stop the slide forward.

Keep in mind that installing the Horizons requires adding to the clutch and brake lines.  If you’re comfortable with bleeding the clutch and brakes, then it shouldn’t be a problem.  Give yourself plenty of time. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 04:12:45 PM »
Keep in mind that installing the Horizons requires adding to the clutch and brake lines.  If you’re comfortable with bleeding the clutch and brakes, then it shouldn’t be a problem.  Give yourself plenty of time.

Yeah, it is a bigger installation that one might first think.  And even the Horizons have certain limitations, but it is, by far, the most configurable/pretty handlebar mod I have seen.  There are times I wish they were available back when I was first modding.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline eng943

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 04:18:34 PM »

Is there any change in vibration felt in the grips with the Horizons?

Offline eng943

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 04:22:44 PM »
Yeah, it is a bigger installation that one might first think.  And even the Horizons have certain limitations, but it is, by far, the most configurable/pretty handlebar mod I have seen.  There are times I wish they were available back when I was first modding.

How's your sargent seat working for you? 

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 04:58:53 PM »
Is there any change in vibration felt in the grips with the Horizons?

I really hadn’t noticed one way or the other.  I suppose it might be incrementally less so, since the bars are longer, but I doubt that it made much of a difference. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 05:01:32 PM »
How's your sargent seat working for you?

It is OK (Sargent World Low, with Pod)

Cons:
* Difficult to install/remove.
* Hard (kinda goes with "low")
* Pressure points on inner thighs (kinda goes with "low")

Pros:
* Low!  (Main reason to use it)
* Pod is great- love it
* Heated is nice
* Has held up very well
* Looks great
* Doesn't seem to force me forward

Keep in mind I have never used any other seat on the C14.  I think the stock one is in the attic somewhere.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 05:03:43 PM »
I really hadn’t noticed one way or the other.  I suppose it might be incrementally less so, since the bars are longer, but I doubt that it made much of a difference.

I don't notice much vibration on the C14, regardless.  In the case of the Horizons, I would expect that the additional mass would reduce whatever is there a little more.

Now my very first bike- the EX250- yeesh, that sucker was a vibrating SOB!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 04:15:45 AM »
Any change in seat will affect the reach to the bars and to the ground.   The Russell will sit you higher in the seat.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.