Author Topic: does anyone have led accent lighting on their connie.  (Read 8012 times)

Offline bigfraid

does anyone have led accent lighting on their connie.
« on: December 27, 2014, 06:35:01 PM »
Happy holidays everyone,I am looking into putting some joe Florida led light kit on my 2012 connie for the sake of the wife.i searched on here trying to find some pics or info on what you have done and if there was any difficulty or hint to install.since my wife was t-boned in her car she insists I put lights on to better seen.

Have a safe and happy new year
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 08:28:14 PM by maxtog »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: does anyone have led accent lighting on their connie.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 08:28:53 PM »
Not familiar with it, but if you end up doing so, make sure to post pictures!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 08:38:44 PM »
I think that we had some sort of discussion on this in the past and the legalities depending on what state you live in...I'll see if I can dredge it up.  I don't think that you can run it while moving which would defeat it's intended purpose.  I think that was the consensus.  Assuming you go that route get SteveWFL to take the picture.  He's our resident photo rteest. 

http://www.joeflorida.com/
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 06:51:35 AM »
I think that we had some sort of discussion on this in the past and the legalities depending on what state you live in...I'll see if I can dredge it up.  I don't think that you can run it while moving which would defeat it's intended purpose.  I think that was the consensus.

I think you can have running lights (low intensity and always on) of certain colors legally.... pretty much only yellow on the sides, only yellow or white on the front, and only red on the back (except the white license plate).  But it might depend on vehicle type/size as to how many.  The bikes you see with green or blue effects are certainly doing so illegally (and dangerously).  And the ones with proper colors but running all over the vehicle are probably also not legal but the police probably don't care.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 07:58:48 AM »
The PO installed leds on my bike. I just removed them the other day. He had blue led strips installed inside the mid fairings so they could be seen thru the side vents.

The leds were a flexible, self adhesive strip about 12 inches long and maybe 3/4 inch wide. He had a switch in the round plug on the left of the dash.

Certainly not my style but to each their own. I find that the really good reflective materials used in riding clothes is more of an attention grabber, at least for me. Maybe because it's bright white,  maybe because of the uncommon shape, whatever it is it works for me.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 08:20:46 AM »
I don't think that any low intensity accent lighting installed on a bike is going to help with your conspicuity, especially during the daytime. If folks can't see that big ole bike as it is a few LED strips aren't going to help much, if at all. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 08:30:49 AM »
^+1
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline bigfraid

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 10:11:34 AM »
In pa you can have leds lights on when riding, http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Rights/State-Laws.aspx?stateid=38.my wife wants these for when we are riding when the sun goes down not during the daylight.i have looked  at the reflective strip to put on the bike but thought  the lights could be seen further away,just looking for a better way to have the other motorists to be aware I'm on the road to.

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 11:53:56 AM »
Here are a couple pictures of my 2012 Arabian red with red leds I installed myself. Bought them from Advanced auto parts. I have one in each air intake, One tucked into each side fairing, One above the front fender near the horn, One on each side under rear tail section, One above the swingarm under the battery box area, And one stuck across the oil pan. The one on the oil pan I was skeptical about but it's been on there for 2 years without burning or any signs of damage. The ones in the air intakes look like a pair of evil eyes coming at you !!. Here in florida it's illegal to run them down the road but I mainly just use them when I'm parked at different bike events. I'll post some better pictures some day  :chugbeer:
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 12:08:21 PM »
If you are serious about it, check in to Hi-Vis riding gear. There is a TON of info available.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 12:32:30 PM »
it's illegal to run them down the road but I mainly just use them when I'm parked at different bike events.

Yeah, a lot of people use them for "show", which is neat.  I have seen some really wild light displays before on parked bikes.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 12:38:40 PM »
i have looked  at the reflective strip to put on the bike

I put a pair of those reflective sticker things, custom made for the C14, on the rear of the bags and it is pretty impressive stuff.   Sold by "Real Time" and it really works, yet looks black during the day.  Augment with strips in other locations for a full effect.  You might want to check it out...

http://www.realtimeindustries.com/products.php?product=Concours-14-{47}-GTR1400-Reflective-decals

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=7888
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16774
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=6218
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3423

Offline bigfraid

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 06:51:02 PM »
Thanks for the pics,links and info I will check it all out and weight the options on the best one that works the best.thanks again.

elp_jc

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 09:30:13 PM »
If you are serious about it, check in to Hi-Vis riding gear.
Yep, that helps. But even with all the lights in the world and high-viz gear, there's ONE thing much more effective than all of that combined: Pretend nobody can see you, and that everybody wants to kill you ;D. That's it. And if somebody cuts you off, you're not going to get mad, because you already have the proper frame of mind that everybody wants to kill you. So whoever don't succeed, you should be happy, instead of mad. I learned that lesson the hard way, so now I ride super defensively. Anybody that could pull in front of me, I slow down enough that I can stop if they do (or get covered by a car). Always watching my 6, obviously, but it's been well over a decade since that last accident. I also don't commute at all; only use the bike for trips to the twisties a few times a year... and on weekdays (no traffic in the mountains, so more fun). I'm fully conscious that in heavy traffic, no matter how defensive you ride you could still get T-boned, or run over a crate or something (I've seen washing machines and couches, folks :o). Tons of ultra-stupid drivers with crappy (and uninsured) vehicles here, so I don't push the envelope. If I have to drive in heavy traffic, I take a car instead. Good luck.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 10:16:34 PM »
Pretend nobody can see you, and that everybody wants to kill you

Yep

Tons of ultra-stupid drivers with crappy (and uninsured) vehicles here

It is pretty much that way everywhere

Offline bigfraid

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 09:09:26 PM »
I agree on being defensive  on riding I do and never assume the other person knows  you are there, I have been almost side swiped,pulled in front of.there is no day dreaming when I ride my eyes are always scanning in front and on my mirrors.my wife is the one that is wary I almost went into a center lane where there was a car sitting when my wife decided to make sure the car coming from the other direction was going to stop while I was trying to turn the opposite way and the bike didn't  want to turn that was scary.she is better I have her leaning the way the bike is turning.she just needs to relax a bit and throw some bright colors on.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 04:37:18 AM »
Get her to take a basic riding course. Even if she doesn't continue to her own bike it'll make a better passenger out of her.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 05:57:50 AM »
When I first started riding with my wife as passenger, she decided to help me by putting her feet down at stops.  Took me awhile to figure out that one, thankfully before I dumped the both of us.

Some rules of the road with a passenger..

• Don't put your feet down on stops
  • Lean with me
  • Wait until I tell you to get on or off the bike
  • No sudden movements while stopped and riding
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2014, 06:22:31 AM »
fortunately Teressa is an awesome passenger, both on the road and the race track!

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline bigfraid

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2014, 07:30:48 AM »
When I first started riding with my wife as passenger, she decided to help me by putting her feet down at stops.  Took me awhile to figure out that one, thankfully before I dumped the both of us.

Some rules of the road with a passenger..

• Don't put your feet down on stops
  • Lean with me
  • Wait until I tell you to get on or off the bike
  • No sudden movements while stopped and riding
you could not of said it any better.