Author Topic: New to me C14  (Read 3579 times)

Offline Art708

New to me C14
« on: November 15, 2017, 05:55:49 PM »
 Hi everyone..... My name is Art and I am from Jacksonville, Fl.  I just traded an FJR for a 2014 C14 and am in the process of getting used to the heavier bike. I think that it rides smoother, engine is quieter but I am going to have to add risers to the handlebars. The bike has a Sargent seat on it and it isn't really very comfortable to me. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and learn more about the Concours.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: New to me C14
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 06:06:39 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline tonedeaf1

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 07:53:28 PM »
Welcome.

I would give the Sargent a little more time. I was skeptical about the Sargent when first I put it on my C14 but committed to giving it a fair test. It has now been on the bike for seven years. I think I will now end the testing phase.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 08:18:35 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Art!  A bunch of good guys here with tons of knowledge and expertise.  Just about everything you have questions about the C14 can be found on this site.  I have an ‘09 and love it.  I went with Helibars instead of the risers to dial in the comfort level. 

By the way, and I just thought of this, ::) I have a pair risers I can sell you for cheap.  I think I have them listed for $40 in the for sale section but could go lower.  They’re just sitting in my garage not getting used.  It could be an inexpensive way to see if risers work for you.

Anyway, enjoy the bike! 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Art708

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 05:41:04 AM »
  I will see how the Sargent seat works after I get some risers on the bike. I may even go talk to them about doing some modification to the seat.....they are about 2 miles from me.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 08:03:00 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Art.
Enjoy your new toy.

Will be interested to hear the differences between the 2 bikes after you get to know your new Connie.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 11:19:25 AM »
Welcome  :chugbeer:  to the forum, Art!!!
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Art708

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 04:12:13 PM »

Well I took off this morning and rode about 300 miles round trip. The weather was gorgeous....56* when I left home and 72* when I got back. The bike rides well and cruising at 100 is effortless (only for about 3 miles). Most of the ride I was between 75 and 90. Bike handled well and I didn't notice much buffeting with the stock windshield. However......the bike is Very uncomfortable to me. I can see that I am going to have to spend 500 bucks or so on risers and highway pegs.  My legs got really tired and I wanted to stretch them out. The seat kept sliding me into the tank which is uncomfortable and the bars definitely need to come back and up. These things plus I am not totally used to this bike yet. I am hoping that I can get it all sorted out in the next few weeks.

Offline Art708

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 04:16:18 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Art.
Enjoy your new toy.

Will be interested to hear the differences between the 2 bikes after you get to know your new Connie.

Ride safe, Ted

This bike is smoother than my FJR was but I think it's like apples and oranges....the FJR was a 1st generation and I feel sure that a 3rd gen FJR is much more refined than mine was. I think a '14 FJR would compare nicely with my '14 Connie (plus the FJR has cruise control), but the Connie definitely beats My FJR for quiet, smoothness, and long distance riding. I just have to spend some  money to make it comfortable for me.

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 10:25:42 AM »
Welcome!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 10:46:00 AM »
Hey Art,

Congrats on the bike and welcome.

It took most of us quite a bit of time and effort (and often expense) to fit these bikes to our tastes and needs. I was a long time finding the windshield, handlebar placement, peg position and type and saddle that I could ride for extended amounts of time, though a few of my rides have been a little 'long' and so comfort is of much higher priority than it probably is to some others. Still, it is very common to 'twiddle' with these bikes (sport tourers) to get them to be a better fit for each of us.

At least the model is now old enough that there are a lot of farkles out there. When I bought mine, I had one choice in larger windshields (CalSci) and no choices in handlebar alterations, not even risers available yet. But now there are plenty of places to get between you and your money. :-)  But it really is a nice, rugged and reliable bike overall and most like it a lot.

Brian

Hi everyone..... My name is Art and I am from Jacksonville, Fl.  I just traded an FJR for a 2014 C14 and am in the process of getting used to the heavier bike. I think that it rides smoother, engine is quieter but I am going to have to add risers to the handlebars. The bike has a Sargent seat on it and it isn't really very comfortable to me. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and learn more about the Concours.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rob9876

• Beginner Motorcycling
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 01:52:56 PM »
I'm new to the forums also and just stopping by to say hello!
2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Kawasaki Versys ABS, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (sold)
Beginner Motorcycling