Author Topic: "RAM" Mounting systems.  (Read 2804 times)

Offline Tele130

"RAM" Mounting systems.
« on: February 15, 2013, 10:22:30 AM »
I'm currently using two Diamond shaped base mounting plates with the 1" balls attached to my dash for my GPS's.....(Garmin GPSMAP 60C and my iPhone).  I'm having a problem with them "Drooping" during my ride which requires me to reposition them during every fuel/bathroom stop.  I just ordered two replacement base units with the 1.5" ball.  I haven't opened the package's yet in case in need return them.  It will require me to get new attachments for my GPS holders and new arm extensions.

Does anyone know if going to a larger ball size will solve my problem?  I mean, does ball size really matter?  :o :rotflmao:

Chris Lilly, you don't need to respond to this post!!!!! :stirpot: ;D
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline sherob

• Arena
Re: "RAM" Mounting systems.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 10:34:36 AM »
You can try pulling a balloon over the "ball" to increase the size... if this doesn't help, then get rid of the oem bolt and wing nut and use an allen head bolt with a nylon locknut.  It will tighten up stronger and provide a extra measure of security.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 11:43:51 AM »
Perhaps they need a good cleaning to degrease them?  Windex would probably do the trick.  I have a Garmin 765T (4.3" screen size) that has never drooped on me using the 4" arm with a ball on each end.  I only hand tighten it.  It is mounted to the gas tank cap though.  Does it bounce a lot on the dash?  Are the arms you are using metal or plastic?  I thought are RAM arms are metal, maybe not.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Tele130

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 01:55:43 PM »
Perhaps they need a good cleaning to degrease them?  Windex would probably do the trick.  I have a Garmin 765T (4.3" screen size) that has never drooped on me using the 4" arm with a ball on each end.  I only hand tighten it.  It is mounted to the gas tank cap though.  Does it bounce a lot on the dash?  Are the arms you are using metal or plastic?  I thought are RAM arms are metal, maybe not.

A cleaning may help. I did glue two pieces of inner tube to the recessed part of the extension to no avail. My extensions are metal. I might just remove the OEM bolt and wing nut and use a S/S bolt and nylon lock nut.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!