Author Topic: I bought a Hog  (Read 3845 times)

Offline DaddyFlip

I bought a Hog
« on: March 06, 2017, 07:44:52 PM »
I sold the Connie to zrxmitch and decided to go solo with my ZR7 for awhile. Just as I sent off my forks for a full Racetech revalve and bought a new shock, I all of a sudden got the HD bug. Though I've had it before, I have no idea how I caught it this time. Though I've tried before, I just can't justify the prices they want for these things new. So I set out to find a used bike setup generally the way I want it. Found a couple of semi-interesting bikes in the local classifieds but did not pursue. Found a couple of real contenders within a six-hour raidus on ebay that were almost the right price. The local HD dealer had a whole warehouse of used bikes, but they were basically stock, a bit dingy, and overpriced.

Finally found what I was looking for on local craigslist - a 1995 Wide Glide with the 80-inch Evo engine (with CARB! YES!). This thing is gorgeous and I'm very happy with it. Chrome and color is so much more appealing than what HD is trying to do today with all the blacked out stuff. Already pulled the pipes, changed the fluids, put in a new battery and getting the tires changed. Having dug in with the PO who helped me learn about the bike first hand, I really am amazed at how Heavy Duty and nice it is. Tons of extras on this bike and not a scratch or blemish I can find anywhere. Plus, it is a fun riding experience. Love it!

(Feel free to make jokes about the oil leak- it's a photo blemish  8))
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline Conrad

Re: I bought a Hog
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 04:39:58 AM »
Congrats on the new ride.

Ape hangers?  :o

Sorry, although I've never road a bike with ape hangers I can't imagine me ever doing so. My arms would be tingling and numb in 20 mins or less.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 08:26:47 AM »
Congrats! Enjoy the new ride!

Conrad,

I've never had a bike with ape hangers but I had an old airplane that when cruising I could keep it going straight with just the rudder peddles. It was a chrome molly steel tube frame and had braces over head and just in front of the pilot kind of where ape hangers would be. I would fly for hours hanging on to those braces. Was actually quite comfortable. So I can see it for cruising, but doubt I would like how it makes the bike handle.

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 10:08:58 AM »
If you are 6-3 with a long wingspan, it is very comfortable for cruising down the road. This is a knock around bike. Just keep a slight bend in the elbows and it's great. Just not for high speed as the wind starts to become an enemy.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 10:11:52 PM »
Congrats on your new boney. Wishing you many safe and happy miles on her
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 04:46:55 AM »
Barf-O-rama!
Surely you jest! What a pile of crap! :o

All kidding aside, I hope you're kidding.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 09:19:12 AM »
Nope, not kidding. It's WAY louder than the Connie and the engine is easier to access. Wind protection isn't as good, though, and it's harder to take off the rear wheel because there's no center stand. I really like it.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 09:49:08 AM »
That's cool man.  I'm just pokin' at ya. ;D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 09:21:33 AM »
Keep up the good work.... :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 11:31:59 AM »
You did buy a towing rig to go with it, right? And the uniform?
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 07:37:53 PM »
You guys are awful... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 08:57:48 PM »
You did buy a towing rig to go with it, right? And the uniform?

ROFL... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  What a not so nice thing to say but funny anyway
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 07:36:42 AM »
My dentist bought a HD a while back and I asked if he bought the uniform. He didnt understand until he went to a HOG meeting on his way home from work. He saw what everyone was wearing and understood.  He said he felt a little out of place being  the only Japanese guy wearing Dockers, loafers and a tie.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 08:14:38 AM by Cholla »

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 09:32:29 AM »
My dentist bought a HD a while back and I asked if he bought the uniform. He didnt understand until he went to a HOG meeting on his way home from work. He saw what everyone was wearing and understood.  He said he felt a little out of place being  the only Japanese guy wearing Dockers, loafers and a tie.

The outer layer aint the hard part (the vest with all the patches, leathers, etc.), its that tats that (at least I'm told) that hurt.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 01:36:21 PM »
What really hurts is extracting the money....