Author Topic: Rifle Concours Windshield System Review  (Read 10142 times)

Offline theborg

Rifle Concours Windshield System Review
« on: January 13, 2013, 06:49:20 PM »
Ok here is a little background before I get started with the actual review.
I've been researching, reading and comparing replacement windscreens to replace the OEM on my 98 C10 for several months so I concentrated my research on the 3 major player on the game Rifle, Cee Baileys, and Clearview.

I want to make it perfectly clear that this review is not in any way intended to be another "Which is better, brand A,B,or C" argument nor  is it intended to be an argument on height, width, aesthetics or who has the best deflection angle.
In reality they all have their pros and cons, and in the end it come down to personal preference, and another truth that I believe the majority of C10 owners can agree with, is that anything is better than the OEM when it comes to buffeting, back pressure and visual distortion, and wind noise.

As for me why I chose Rifle over the others was:
  • The low cost of replacement windscreens $85+ shipping
  • The low cost ability to have different size windscreens i.e summer and winter screens
  • The ability to quickly cut and install my own acrylic or polycarbonate  to what ever height I choose without adversely effecting the laminar flow design.

With that said now on to the review.
Packaging and shipping:
I ordered mine directly from Rifle.com shipping was pretty quick I ordered on a Monday evening and it was at my door on Friday.
The packing was very professional the base and windscreen were tied up in separate plastic bags separated and cushioned with bubble wrap, airbags, and brown paper in a cardboard box, everything arrived unscratched and unbroken as intended.
Also in the package was a packet with 8 nylon screws, washers, and nuts for mounting the windscreen to the base, more about that in a little bit.

Install:
Install is really easy, unscrew and remove your OEM or other aftermarket windscreen saving the original screws for installing the Rifle base to the faring, then using 6 of the 8 nylon screws, washer and nuts install the windscreen to the base.

*TIP #1 Chamfer (bevel) the holes on the windscreen prior to installing will relieve stress on the holes and help prevent future staring of the holes. This can be achieved very easily with just a common pocket knife careful not to wallow out the hole just a slight 45 degree or so bevel is all it takes.

*TIP #2 Do not over tighten the nylon screws this can also lead to the dreaded staring.
Hold the screws on the outside of the windscreen with a phillips screwdriver while tightening the nuts from the inside with your fingers only, tightening them just enough that they are snug, but you are still able to turn the whole screw/nut combo with some resistance. 

Fit and Finish:
The finish of both the base and the Lucite windscreen are impeccable, I opted to get the standard black textured base, however Rifle does offer an OEM color matched option for an extra $70
The Lucite wind screen is crystal clear with zero distortions, in fact if it weren't for the glare and edges you wouldn't know it was there. :great:
The fit however I felt lacked precision, the holes on both the base to faring and base to windscreen were not precise, and required flexing of the plastic to get them to line up enough to get the screws started, I feel this also could be another cause of stress cracking and staring. For the price I feel that a company has been in business and  as reputable as Rifle could spend a few more minutes and make sure things align a bit more precise. 
The Ride:
Once installed I took the bike out for about an hour test ride on freeway, surface streets and country back roads
I had zero helmet buffeting, next to nothing wind noise, and the wind wake from the big rigs aren't blowing me all over the place anymore, in short the Rifle Concours Windshield System preforms as designed and advertised.
All and all I give the Rifle Concours Windshield System 4.5 out of 5 only because of the poor alignment of the mounting holes and perhaps maybe Rifle should chamfer the windscreen hole at the factory to help with premature stress cracks and staring.

Willie

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
Re: Rifle Concours Windshield System Review
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 06:04:25 AM »
In Rifle's defence (I have one on my bike) the holes are probably precise based on the bike they used to mount it on.  On my old 01, the oem windshield needed some flexing to fit too, and I've noticed that I have to flex and push some on the lowers to get all the holes to line up.  I've alwasy felt that Kawi didn't do the greatest job with the plastics on the Conc.  Then again, maybe they did that to put a little stress on the parts to ensure tightness and avoid rattles?

I have a Rifle superbike fairing on my NightHawk, and everyting there lines up perfectly.
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 10:41:53 AM »
  I've had a Rifle windshield on my '94 for about 16 yrs and it's everything "theborg" says it is. I always like the Rifle system. I won a Cee Baily windshield with the vent at the COG Vermont Rally about 2 yrs ago and installed it and really like it also. So I switch shields when the spirit moves me and really like both.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline julianop

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 05:37:26 PM »
I'm not very happy with my Rifle. I get way too much vortex air on the back of my neck, and it is that phenomenon that limits my riding above all others.
Now I don't know if other shields are better - I haven't tried any yet - but the cold air on the back of my neck from the Rifle at anything less than 25F is miserable. The height is perfect, visually, but I think the distance from the tip of the shield to my head is too great.
I use an Outdoor Research balaclava, which is unique in that it has a padded back, unlike most balaclavas which have thin elastic material back there. It helps, but it's not quite enough for long trips.
So far this winter in northern Illinois has been snowy and/or damp, and/or single digits (and sometimes all on the same day!), so I haven't ridden much this winter, but I have a plan to try a custom air dam system to get more air into the post-shield stream to try and push the vortex further back.
When I get around to properly trying out my new Gerbing heated jacket liner - which has the heated neck band - I might find my problem is solved.
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 09:26:49 PM »
I'm not very happy with my Rifle. I get way too much vortex air on the back of my neck, and it is that phenomenon that limits my riding above all others.
Now I don't know if other shields are better - I haven't tried any yet - but the cold air on the back of my neck from the Rifle at anything less than 25F is miserable. The height is perfect, visually, but I think the distance from the tip of the shield to my head is too great.
I use an Outdoor Research balaclava, which is unique in that it has a padded back, unlike most balaclavas which have thin elastic material back there. It helps, but it's not quite enough for long trips.
So far this winter in northern Illinois has been snowy and/or damp, and/or single digits (and sometimes all on the same day!), so I haven't ridden much this winter, but I have a plan to try a custom air dam system to get more air into the post-shield stream to try and push the vortex further back.
When I get around to properly trying out my new Gerbing heated jacket liner - which has the heated neck band - I might find my problem is solved.
  "When you get old you get cold!" :'(
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 07:05:44 AM »
Have had a Rifle base with a 22" home-made screen on "Otto" for years now.
I had a Cee Baileys 26'5" on "Ethel" and I found it gave more turbulence and I didn't like the mild visual distortion.
For me the Rifle is the canine danglies but it does tend to push you forwards more, especially with the big screen.
I have bar risers so not an issue for me and at 6'4" it suits me perfectly.

I made the screen from Polycarb and after nearly 10 years it is getting clouded probably from UV so will need to replace soon.
IIRC I used 3mm thick and I attached it with stainless steel screws with Murphs neoprene padded spacers.
I made sure that the holes were larger than the screws so there is no metal-plastic contact and only the pressure on the neoprene holds it in place.
Thanks to this I have no starring.
Finally, I fitted a piece of edging strip to the top edge. This helps keep rain off me.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 05:15:35 AM »
IMO the Ceebailey is the best shield available. My reason is that the CB is angled further back towards the rider, and as such the air pocket it provides extends further around behind you. It's better for a passenger also. It cuts air so well I have literally ridden through rain and not gotten wet at all. JMO, Steve

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 10:13:57 AM »
I've got a Rifle on my 06 C-10 & no complaints from me or the better half.
BTW...I heard New York is banning them.  Just the Rifles. LOL
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Sidolsen

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 09:31:06 PM »
Had a 17 inch Rifle on my 91 Connie when I bought her and just replaced that shield with another. The fit and finish was perfect. I've rode my bike to work with temps in the teens and don't know what a cold neck is. I've had other cold parts, some of which may have fallen off, still can't tell :). Have not tried other shields but have no complaints with Rifle.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 09:43:37 PM »
I've got a Rifle on my 06 C-10 & no complaints from me or the better half.
BTW...I heard New York is banning them.  Just the Rifles. LOL

It's my understanding you should be OK as long as you keep your velocity below 3,200 Feet per Second. ;)
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline mr t

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 08:11:10 AM »
I've got a Rifle on my 06 C10 and a CBailey on my 02 C10. They are both just about nose high. I much prefer the Rifle for wind protection, lack of buffeting, and clarity.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Offline julianop

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 12:37:49 AM »
  "When you get old you get cold!" :'(

Ain't that the flamin' truth :-(

Waiting for the ice to melt... any day now... :-)
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 12:03:52 PM »
It's my understanding you should be OK as long as you keep your velocity below 3,200 Feet per Second. ;)

Awww, man!  You mean I can't use the rocketship anymore?  How am I supposed to get to my summer home on the moon now?
 ;D
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 12:11:35 PM »
IMO the Ceebailey is the best shield available. My reason is that the CB is angled further back towards the rider, and as such the air pocket it provides extends further around behind you. It's better for a passenger also. It cuts air so well I have literally ridden through rain and not gotten wet at all. JMO, Steve

Just a followup comment on the Cee Bailey.  I have the 24" one with the vent.  What Steve says is pretty much my experience.  Only my helmet, gloves, and boots get wet when I'm riding in the rain (except at stops, of course).

I stand at 5'8", with a 31" inseam btw.

I do have some wind noise, and I can see comfortably over the windscreen (it sits roughly at mouth level).  If I really care, I can crouch a bit behind the screen for a quieter ride, but it's more comfortable for my back when I don't crouch.

Much quieter than the stock windscreen, but most aftermarket solutions are.  No thoughts on the rifle, and thanks so much for sharing your experience with it for us other riders!
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 01:17:29 PM »
I find it hilarious that on the 25th anniversay of the C-bike, someone is writing a "revue" of the most prolific windshield you will find on these bikes....
as his first post....

hello....welcome to last week?

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..