Author Topic: Copper Harbor Rendezvous Sept. 9-11 update info  (Read 2138 times)

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
Copper Harbor Rendezvous Sept. 9-11 update info
« on: August 23, 2011, 07:52:10 PM »
We are getting close to Copper time.......so if you have not made a reservation, it's time to do so! I have received some information from an attendee named Lee that has spent a lot of time in the UP. Here is what he has to say: (I really want to work in a stop at Henry's to eat!!)

Here is list of only a few “attractions” which may be of interest to the riders attending the “Rendezvous at Copper Harbor” in Sept. (I will not address anything north of Houghton-Hancock).

For those coming through Superior WI on US 2:

1.  Hwy 13 loop from US 2 (just south of Superior) to Bayfield, WI, and then south to join US 2 just west of Ashland.  Bayfield is a quaint town with excellent restaurants, shops and restored old homes/buildings, located on Chequamegon Bay of Lake Superior.  For those with time, I recommend a boat tour of the Apostle Islands (2-3 hours).

2.  Nature Center near intersection of Hwy 13 and US 2 (free).

3.  Approximately 27 miles east of Ashland, take Hwy 122 north from US 2 (sign indicates Saxon, WI, to south).  Highway 122 winds down to Lake Superior (go into Saxon Harbor for great view of the lake) and proceed east along lake past Little Girls beach and back to US 2 in Ironwood, MI.

For those coming to UP via US 51 to Ironwood:

1.  Approximately 8 miles north of Mercer, WI, take County G west from US 51.  (landmark is sign for Pike Lake Supper Club).  G winds through lake area to intersection with County O, which will take you north back to US 2, in Wakefield.  OR, take O south – west to W to B to Presque Isle.  B will take you north to US 2 OR take B southwest and then west to Land O’ Lakes, WI, where it ends at US 45.  Take US 45 north to Paulding, MI (9 miles north of US 2/45 intersection in Watersmeet).  Go east from Paulding to Bond Falls, which has parking and observation platform at bottom of falls and ice cream shop at top of falls.  Bond Falls is second largest in UP.

2.  Take county road (paved) from stoplight on US 2 in Bessemer north to park and marina on Lake Superior.  This road goes by 5 or 6 waterfalls.  Must return by same road back to US 2.

3.  Take paved forest road north off of Hwy 28, just west of Wakefield, through Thomaston, MI (3 houses).  This road winds through approximately 25 miles to MI 107 on Lake Superior at which intersection you have the following options:

3A.  Proceed west approximately 10 miles on MI 107 to Porcupine Mountain Park, with viewing area (fee) of Lake of the Clouds and Lake Superior (worth going to!).

3B.  Proceed east to join Hwy 64 at Silver City and continue to Ontonagon.  In Ontonagon, there are 2 options:

1.  Take Hwy 38 east to join Hwy 26, which goes to Houghton.

2.  Take Hwy 45 to Rockland and “dine” at Henry’s Never Inn (A gastronomical experience!).  From Rockland, continue east on 45 to intersection with Hwy 26 and on to Houghton.

These are just some of the many great rides in the UP which are on the way for members coming from MN to Copper Harbor.  If anyone has any questions, they can call me at 906-358-4625 or e-mail:  jgeronime@hughes.net

For further info, go to this link    http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=142632&mo=9&tDate={d%20%272011-09-23%27}

Looking forward to seeing YOU there! :beerchug:
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: Copper Harbor Rendezvous Sept. 9-11 update info
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 07:22:19 PM »
Sounds like a grand time in a really nice area.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline JS_racer

Re: Copper Harbor Rendezvous Sept. 9-11 update info
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 02:33:20 PM »
stayed at that same place a few weeks back and running up again the weekend of the 24 for a 4 day deal. was a long weekend but a great time. burned to Duluth sat morn from the cities than left from there through the twisties, then home Sunday night well after dark. have fun guys. 41 into town was fun as hell with some speed, tons of sights and great roads.