Author Topic: What makes me crazy and annoyed..  (Read 468642 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: What makes me crazy and annoyed..
« Reply #1760 on: January 12, 2018, 09:35:37 AM »
Here's a biggie!

Smokers stink!

Sometimes they're just a lil stinky but in the winter months when they smoke inside of their cars with the windows up. Holy ****!    :o

I was in the store the other day waiting my turn in the checkout line. A woman got in line behind me and I got a whiff of her stale cigarette stank. I swear, I almost gagged, I was thisclose. I had to change lines before I lost my lunch. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1761 on: January 12, 2018, 11:03:20 AM »
That's pretty much the norm at most UK & indeed EUropean (which is where Aldi comes from) supermarkets/places that supply trollies.

The normal rate over here is £1 or €1 although you can buy tokens that clip on your key ring to use in them instead.

In our area there's a grocery store named Aldi. When it comes to shopping cart management, Aldi has the best idea of ANY grocery store out there. In order to get a cart shoppers have to insert a quarter to unlock the cart and when you return the cart you get a quarter back. As a result, there are virtually zero carts left in the parking lot and all the carts roll true and still have their factory alignment. No need to hire anyone to fetch the carts out of the lot either.

I don't know why all grocery stores don't use this method.

--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1762 on: January 12, 2018, 11:06:22 AM »
If I'm completely honest this sin't something I've really noticed up until recently.

But that could be because I've packed the ciggies in although I do still vape

Here's a biggie!

Smokers stink!

Sometimes they're just a lil stinky but in the winter months when they smoke inside of their cars with the windows up. Holy ****!    :o

I was in the store the other day waiting my turn in the checkout line. A woman got in line behind me and I got a whiff of her stale cigarette stank. I swear, I almost gagged, I was thisclose. I had to change lines before I lost my lunch.
--

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1763 on: January 12, 2018, 03:58:23 PM »
It has not been all that long that I have been able to smell cigarette smoke, either the smoke itself or residue as you mention having smelled in the store, as I used to smoke myself. Oddly enough, now that I can smell it, it really does not bother me and other people can actually smoke in my house if they want to. We even provide ash trays. :-)

But I can also smell it on other people once is a while and it is like a bolt of lightening; I grew up in a home with smokers and smoked myself and so never smelled that scent for decades. Now when I do my first reaction is surprise. And it really is not all that bad even now though I would agree that it is not quite pleasant.

Brian

Here's a biggie!

Smokers stink!

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1764 on: January 12, 2018, 04:02:24 PM »
OFFTOPIC: something that struck me as interesting was while in Europe, one collects coins in normal life but compared to the US, there can be a substantial amount of money in a handful of Euro coins. They have 2 Euro and (I think) 3 Euro coins, and I would end up with a considerable sum of money rattling in my pocket. Not at all like the US, where our largest common coin is only $0.25 and most are smaller yet so a fistful of US coins is not very much in value (though high in annoyance, especially wearing riding gear). I do not know how large your coins are but even one pound is far larger than any of our (common) coins.

Brian

That's pretty much the norm at most UK & indeed EUropean (which is where Aldi comes from) supermarkets/places that supply trollies.

The normal rate over here is £1 or €1 although you can buy tokens that clip on your key ring to use in them instead.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1765 on: January 12, 2018, 04:34:18 PM »
From top to bottom.
1p,2p,5p,10p,20p,50p,£1,£2

(ok technically the last one is a €2 as I don't have any £2 coins on me)

http://sharetheexperience.co.uk/Images/GTR/coins.jpg

OFFTOPIC: something that struck me as interesting was while in Europe, one collects coins in normal life but compared to the US, there can be a substantial amount of money in a handful of Euro coins. They have 2 Euro and (I think) 3 Euro coins, and I would end up with a considerable sum of money rattling in my pocket. Not at all like the US, where our largest common coin is only $0.25 and most are smaller yet so a fistful of US coins is not very much in value (though high in annoyance, especially wearing riding gear). I do not know how large your coins are but even one pound is far larger than any of our (common) coins.

Brian
--

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #1766 on: January 12, 2018, 05:00:53 PM »
...post after post complaining about shopping carts!  :deadhorse:

Sorry, but it had to be said. Hahaha!
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1767 on: January 12, 2018, 05:55:11 PM »
What no threepenny bit and halfpence?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1768 on: January 13, 2018, 01:02:55 AM »
What no threepenny bit and halfpence?

Not since 1971 for the former (and yes I did use pre decimal coinage as a kid) and 1984 (i think it was) for the latter :)

--

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1769 on: January 13, 2018, 05:11:26 AM »
It has not been all that long that I have been able to smell cigarette smoke, either the smoke itself or residue as you mention having smelled in the store, as I used to smoke myself. Oddly enough, now that I can smell it, it really does not bother me and other people can actually smoke in my house if they want to. We even provide ash trays. :-)

But I can also smell it on other people once is a while and it is like a bolt of lightening; I grew up in a home with smokers and smoked myself and so never smelled that scent for decades. Now when I do my first reaction is surprise. And it really is not all that bad even now though I would agree that it is not quite pleasant.

Brian

You quit smoking cigs but still allow smoking in your house? I'm guessing that your wife still smokes? My wife smoked when we were first married but she quit about 25 years ago and she complains more than I do about the stale cigarette stank that some people have. I never smoked but even when my wife did smoke she wouldn't do it in the house or the car. 

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1770 on: January 13, 2018, 06:54:34 AM »
No, actually Andrea quit about a year before I did. There are no longer any smokers that live here. And yes, I allow and actually offer to have people smoke in my house.... anywhere in my house actually.

I realize I am the odd- man out but cigarette smoke / smoking does not bother me, or at least not very much. And I very well remember how tough it was when I was a smoker, and a pretty hard- core smoker at that, to have all the restricted places. So I let people smoke in my house. Almost no one does it anyway but if someone is here who smokes (because I see the cigarettes, smell it on them, etc. and know they smoke) I offer up an ashtray. The vast majority of people do NOT take me up on it but a couple do.

I only posted this to illustrate the huge range in human behavior and in contrast to your views on smokers. Not throwing rocks or criticizing you in any way, or anyone who does not like smokers / smoking, just saying that it is a non- issue for me (and my wife, apparently). Just that I find it a little bit amusing that we can be so polarized in opposite ways on the same subject. It happens all the time, and I am sure if we talked for a while we could find another subject where our positions were reversed but still it is a little amusing that this happens between what appears to be pretty normal, rational people (well, it seems you are Conrad- I have a pet desiccated squirrel and I find some of his opinions WAY out there).

Brian

You quit smoking cigs but still allow smoking in your house? I'm guessing that your wife still smokes? My wife smoked when we were first married but she quit about 25 years ago and she complains more than I do about the stale cigarette stank that some people have. I never smoked but even when my wife did smoke she wouldn't do it in the house or the car.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1771 on: January 14, 2018, 06:07:42 AM »
No, actually Andrea quit about a year before I did. There are no longer any smokers that live here. And yes, I allow and actually offer to have people smoke in my house.... anywhere in my house actually.

I realize I am the odd- man out but cigarette smoke / smoking does not bother me, or at least not very much. And I very well remember how tough it was when I was a smoker, and a pretty hard- core smoker at that, to have all the restricted places. So I let people smoke in my house. Almost no one does it anyway but if someone is here who smokes (because I see the cigarettes, smell it on them, etc. and know they smoke) I offer up an ashtray. The vast majority of people do NOT take me up on it but a couple do.

I only posted this to illustrate the huge range in human behavior and in contrast to your views on smokers. Not throwing rocks or criticizing you in any way, or anyone who does not like smokers / smoking, just saying that it is a non- issue for me (and my wife, apparently). Just that I find it a little bit amusing that we can be so polarized in opposite ways on the same subject. It happens all the time, and I am sure if we talked for a while we could find another subject where our positions were reversed but still it is a little amusing that this happens between what appears to be pretty normal, rational people (well, it seems you are Conrad- I have a pet desiccated squirrel and I find some of his opinions WAY out there).

Brian

You're right, Brian. It is interesting how different we can be on the same subject. I'm not sure how rational I am though, you'd have to ask the folks in the Arena about that.    ;)

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #1772 on: January 14, 2018, 08:48:07 AM »

That is crazy loco. "Please, come in, and bring me some 2nd had smoke with an increased risk of causing me cancer, and hard-to-remove stank thereby devaluing my home. Welcome!"

I do agree though, to each their own . Still :o

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1773 on: January 14, 2018, 09:17:06 AM »
No, no- we do not allow 'crazy loco' to be smoked here, just tobacco.

Maybe we are just not that sensitive to cigarette smoke. And I actually find something like cherry pipe tobacco smoke to be quite pleasant (does anyone smoke a pipe anymore?) Besides, I have known more than a few people who can make scents far, far worse than any cigarette..... and they do not get thrown out of the house for that. At least not so far....

You tobacco agitated folks should be pretty riled up about 3rd hand smoke, right? Oh yes, some tobacco opponents claim it may be very, very bad indeed. <shrugs shoulders>

Brian

That is crazy loco. "Please, come in, and bring me some 2nd had smoke with an increased risk of causing me cancer, and hard-to-remove stank thereby devaluing my home. Welcome!"

I do agree though, to each their own . Still :o

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1774 on: January 14, 2018, 10:18:00 AM »
No, no- we do not allow 'crazy loco' to be smoked here, just tobacco.

Maybe we are just not that sensitive to cigarette smoke. And I actually find something like cherry pipe tobacco smoke to be quite pleasant (does anyone smoke a pipe anymore?) Besides, I have known more than a few people who can make scents far, far worse than any cigarette..... and they do not get thrown out of the house for that. At least not so far....

You tobacco agitated folks should be pretty riled up about 3rd hand smoke, right? Oh yes, some tobacco opponents claim it may be very, very bad indeed. <shrugs shoulders>

Brian

I'd like to introduce you to a Wal-Martian that I had the distinct displeasure of sharing a checkout line with...   :o

I rather enjoy the smell of some fresh tobacco scents myself, in very small quantities. It's when that stale stank clings to their clothing that causes my gag reflex to come alive.     :pukeface:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1775 on: January 14, 2018, 11:58:08 AM »
Maybe we are just not that sensitive to cigarette smoke. And I actually find something like cherry pipe tobacco smoke to be quite pleasant (does anyone smoke a pipe anymore?)

Yep
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1776 on: January 21, 2018, 09:30:25 AM »
An Illinois problem.

JB for governor advertisements! If I'm exposed to another ad for JB I may have to consider switching parties!   ;)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1777 on: January 21, 2018, 09:38:00 AM »
puffy baby man

Hard to change parties when you have nowhere to go.  >:(

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1778 on: January 21, 2018, 09:43:42 AM »
puffy baby man

Trudat

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1779 on: January 21, 2018, 10:38:21 AM »

+100

Well, there are other parties, like Libertarian, but what is the point?  It is impossible for any other parties to go anywhere in this system due to plurality voting, which is the worst system ever.  South Park describes the situation best with "Douche Bag or Turd Sandwich" which seems to apply in most situations.

"Duverger's law is an idea in political science which says that constituencies that use first-past-the-post methods will lead to two-party systems, given enough time."  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duverger%27s_law
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc