Author Topic: Error code 13 and 23  (Read 2532 times)

Offline FishArnEked

Error code 13 and 23
« on: January 08, 2018, 03:55:53 PM »
2009 C14 30k miles, all stock. bike has been sitting for 6 months with fuel stabilizer and plugged in to battery tender.

went to start, cranks over but wont start. drained gas and tried to start with fresh gas. got error code 13 and 23.

what now?

Offline FishArnEked

Re: Error code 13 and 23
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 03:57:24 PM »
so, I read 13 is the airbox temp sensor and 23 is the camshaft position sensor code

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 04:08:17 PM »
clean the battery ground connections

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 04:15:14 PM »
disconnect tha battery, remove it, and clean the battrery terminals, and all of the cable ends with sandpaper abrasively, also remove the connections of both the ground cables where they attach to the frame, next to the battery box.... scrub both the frame connection points, and the cable ends using sandpaper, and re attach everything... check the battery also, to see if it is actually fully charged... if not, throw a manual charger on it out of the bike, and charge it, while keeping an eye on the charge rate.
connecting a battery tender to a battery installed in the bike, is no guarantee that the connections are free of invisible oxide coatings, and viable, or if the charge is actually reaching the battery... and even then, when the tender is doing it's job, an invisible oxide coating is continually building up... trust me, this is a common issue with this bike.

as far as the "codes" you read as being "faults"... they are indicative of poor connections that happen over a period of storage, and not actually a failure of the parts the codes relate to.. we have seen this same condition occur many, many times since this bikes introduction back 10 years ago.

come back after doing the suggested services, and share what you found.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 04:16:15 PM »
clean the battery ground connections

beat me to the punch line... as I had to take my dog out to poop... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 04:21:16 PM »
Yep- almost all such freaky problems end up being a bad battery, bad battery connections, and/or bad ground connections.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Bob Skinner

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 05:42:32 PM »
Anyone ever try the old star type lock washers on the battery  to frame connections? I would think they would cut into the base metal enough to eliminate this high resistance ground problem.
Bob Skinner

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 05:53:15 PM »
beat me to the punch line... as I had to take my dog out to poop... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I hate to type more than needs be. :chugbeer:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 06:11:59 AM »
Anyone ever try the old star type lock washers on the battery  to frame connections? I would think they would cut into the base metal enough to eliminate this high resistance ground problem.
Bob Skinner

I've done that on my Indian battery.   Appears to be holding tight.  However, you still need to clean every connection at least once a year to get that invisible corrosion off.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 04:25:41 PM »
Bob Skinner

SIMPLY put, the best electrical connection that can be made, is between 2 completely clean, flat, conductive surfaces, where the complete connective "areas" are in contact. It's basic electrical engineering in practice. Adding a "star" washer does little, other than preventing the fastener, or lug, from rotating, and in fact when used reduces the actual "contact areas" to "point contacts"; which will over time, reduce in conductivity via the electrolytic corrosion process (as these devices are either cadmium of zinc plated) even faster than 2 flat "clean metal" surfaces clamped together. I know it "sounds" like it would work better, but believe me, it actually in fact reduces the electrical capacity and endurance of a normal face to face connection of pristine and clean metal. It also ends up doing damage to an already small area, lets say the aluminum ground pad on the engine/frame and the flat copper ring of the lug involved, by digging 'pits" into the face, creating a starting point for entrapment of oxide producing elements, and compromising/making the actual surface even more difficult to further "clean" in it's life span.
Using a Star washer under the head of a bolt however, can prevent it from loosening, which is good, but in reality again, a helical split lock washer with a flat washer also, provides much more robust retention of said fastener. Mnay manufacturers utilize this silly device to create a short lived contact area, because they find it too cost prohibitive to provide a clean, smooth contact area, on many items that have been painted...so it appears to be effective, but over time, isn't really... Keep in mind, in any mechanical electrical connection, the electron flow is always a factor of flow between the cable/end lug/lug mating surface when ratings are applied.. and the fastener is NOT considered as a conductor, ever...

the whole thing is about removing the "resistive connection" between 2 flat surfaces.   scrub em, and reassemble.. then apply grease "over the connection" to seal it...(greasing a connection or applying anything other to the actual mating surfaces other than No Ox-Id, or even never seize as a cheap substitute... is always a no-no)  dielectric grease is something people just don't get... it's a resistive grease, used to prevent water intrusion, and oxides, and only should be applied to the external surfaces of a mechanical connection, as a prevention of moisture degradation... fact is, spraying an assembled connection that has been made using a laquer based clear paint,(or even hairspray) will seal said connection well, and provide this seal.  and it can be easily cleaned off during a normal scrub-a -dub on the connectors next year/

I've argued this adnauseuim, with "egg-spurts", so called, about applying grease of this type to a connection during assembly... but as My job designing high amperage transfer switches for a decade or so, bewteen 30 amp thru 4000 amp capacity, utilizing massive amounts of Copper bus bar connections, I can truthfully tell you clean, dry connections are best.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone_grease

we never applied anything to high amp connections, other than correctly torqued contact connections... and on some occasions when making ground connections to steel frameworks, a proprietary conductive compound...which contained a high copper, or nickle content.

http://www.sanchem.com/electrical-contact-lubricant.html

or even this product... strangely its manufactured by the company that bought my original corporation...but we made emergency power quality devices.. not wire stuff...

https://www.specialized.net/cp8-tb-thomas-betts-kopr-shield-compound-8-oz.html

I have an old can of Copper-Shield, made in the 40's, which my dad had in his garage... can is still half full, and the stuff still works.. which made it a better value product... I guess... 8)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 05:17:24 PM by MAN OF BLUES »