Author Topic: Hissing brake pads  (Read 2261 times)

Offline JerBear

Hissing brake pads
« on: January 06, 2018, 11:22:54 AM »
I replaced my original KAWI pads at 16k (front) and 19K (rear) with EBC HH sintered,  They seem to wear a bit better as I am at 36K and the fronts are just about ready to go.  Is there a brand of pads that have the wear properties of EBC without the WHISHHHHH sound upon use?  Galfer maybe?  Any ideas?  I may try the Kawasaki (Newer) pads as I've heard they are a bit more durable.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Hissing brake pads
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 01:21:01 PM »
The second generation C-14 brake pads are more durable, make far less brake dust and give up some braking ability, especially initial bite, to the first gen.  OEM pads. They are interchangeable on all model C-14's but the 2nd gen. pads are actually cheaper. I have used Gen. 1, Gen. 2 Kawasaki OEM pads, as well as EBC's and prefer the Kawasaki Gen. 2 overall. Plus the OEM pads have that really slick little pad life indicator groove in them- very handy when doing a quick check on the pad life.

Brian

Edited to add: Neither version of the OEM Kawasaki pads makes any noticeable noise and both are much quieter than EBC.

I replaced my original KAWI pads at 16k (front) and 19K (rear) with EBC HH sintered,  They seem to wear a bit better as I am at 36K and the fronts are just about ready to go.  Is there a brand of pads that have the wear properties of EBC without the WHISHHHHH sound upon use?  Galfer maybe?  Any ideas?  I may try the Kawasaki (Newer) pads as I've heard they are a bit more durable.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 03:25:06 PM by B.D.F. »
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 02:26:52 PM »
ah the EBC hiss, you get to live with it

(experienced it on various blackbirds and Pan Europeans over about 150k miles and several years
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 10:40:42 PM »
I like to hear that hissing sound.
That means I have really good brakes. No fade not even in water- consistent easy  two finger stops  :D 
 I would take that hiss any day  knowing my brakes work good.  Turn up  the music and ride I say.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 08:49:00 AM »
Since we’re on the subject, I have a question.  Mine don’t hiss, they sort of “buzz”.  And the buzz stays for awhile after a good application.  I thought maybe they were sticking at first.  I pulled the pins, cleaned and lubed them hoping this would help, but the buzz is still there.  It takes about ¼ or ½ mile after braking for it to go away.  Is this normal?  BTW, I do not know what pads I have on the bike.  They were replaced right before I purchased it. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 12:22:28 AM »
sounds like something different. The EBC hiss is (in my experience anyways) only ever there as you apply the brakes and goes away as soon as you release them.
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 06:14:16 AM »
Could be the seals or the caliper needs to be cleaned out.   Take a look at Delboy's Garage vids on youtube.  He's got several videos on cleaning the brakes.

Since we’re on the subject, I have a question.  Mine don’t hiss, they sort of “buzz”.  And the buzz stays for awhile after a good application.  I thought maybe they were sticking at first.  I pulled the pins, cleaned and lubed them hoping this would help, but the buzz is still there.  It takes about ¼ or ½ mile after braking for it to go away.  Is this normal?  BTW, I do not know what pads I have on the bike.  They were replaced right before I purchased it. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 10:44:43 AM »
Could be the seals or the caliper needs to be cleaned out.

If it were the seals, wouldn't it be more of a barking noise?

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 12:25:22 PM »
Could be the seals or the caliper needs to be cleaned out.   Take a look at Delboy's Garage vids on youtube.  He's got several videos on cleaning the brakes.

Thanks Jim.  I will.
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 12:33:46 PM »
Careful, there may be a polar bear or two in your future.....

:-)

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 02:17:40 PM »

Slowly I turn...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 03:33:48 PM »
 ::)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc