Author Topic: AST footpeg lowering kit install on 2017  (Read 1877 times)

Offline eng943

AST footpeg lowering kit install on 2017
« on: February 19, 2018, 03:59:48 PM »
I just installed the AST foot peg lowering kit on my 2017. Nice product, happy with the end result pending a long day in the saddle for more thorough analysis.

Note: The brackets are now threaded where the stock foot peg mounts to the bracket. The video they reference illustrates the older style where they use locking nuts to capture the bolt. Also, it appears the break lever arm on the newer model bikes like mine may not need to be modified. 

I want to add how responsive AST was when I emailed this situation to their attention. I had a response within 20 minutes. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 05:49:09 AM by eng943 »
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline FTB530

Re: AST footpeg lowering kit install on 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 03:17:58 PM »
I just installed the AST foot peg lowering kit on my 2017. Nice product, happy with the end result pending a long day in the saddle for more thorough analysis.

Note: The brackets are now threaded where the stock foot peg mounts to the bracket. The video they reference illustrates the older style where they use locking nuts to capture the bolt. Also, it appears the break lever arm on the newer model bikes like mine may not need to be modified. 

I want to add how responsive AST was when I emailed this situation to their attention. I had a response within 20 minutes.

I just put them on my 16, and trying to cut my heat shield to work , I used the hardware he sent with the locking nuts!
Do you still have stock exhaust on your 17! The part you are talking about modifying I didn’t have to do that on either of my 2016 bikes!

Offline eng943

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 12:14:53 PM »
Yes - stock exhaust. I did not use the provided template, I made my own cuts which essentially followed the recessed stamped area in the stock shield. I just blew that shape out further.
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline FTB530

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 01:11:05 PM »
Yes - stock exhaust. I did not use the provided template, I made my own cuts which essentially followed the recessed stamped area in the stock shield. I just blew that shape out further.

I keep cutting and cutting and haven’t made it fit yet, oh well bought a Two Brothers to replace all of it!

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 03:21:15 PM »
For what it's worth, I bought some standoffs and spaced my peg lowering brackets out about 3/4". Not only was that more comfortable for me but it eliminated the need to mod the heat shield. Made it a 15 minute job. The standoffs are hidden behind the brackets - can't even see em.
I never ride alone...my Lord and Savior is always with me.

2016 GTR1400 Silver, Shoodaben Hammer Flash! Puig Windshield, AVT PullBack Risers, Grabon Covers, AVT Peg Lowers, Wireless Phone Ram Mount, Canyon Bars with Foot Pegs, Sheepskin Saddle cover, AST Backrest and luggage rack... More to come...
Instagram: markjamesholland

Offline FTB530

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 06:27:24 PM »
For what it's worth, I bought some standoffs and spaced my peg lowering brackets out about 3/4". Not only was that more comfortable for me but it eliminated the need to mod the heat shield. Made it a 15 minute job. The standoffs are hidden behind the brackets - can't even see em.

Did you do this with the lowering brackets on? Use longer bolts?

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 10:05:27 AM »
I put the spacers on first, then the lowering brackets, then the footpegs. The spacers are hidden behind the brackets (between the brackets and the bike).
I never ride alone...my Lord and Savior is always with me.

2016 GTR1400 Silver, Shoodaben Hammer Flash! Puig Windshield, AVT PullBack Risers, Grabon Covers, AVT Peg Lowers, Wireless Phone Ram Mount, Canyon Bars with Foot Pegs, Sheepskin Saddle cover, AST Backrest and luggage rack... More to come...
Instagram: markjamesholland