Author Topic: Why aren't 2015 onwards bikes  (Read 7479 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Why aren't 2015 onwards bikes
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 11:10:24 AM »
And beyond all that, there have been some small changes to the line that do have occurred alone; the new front rotor carrier was changed in 2012 or 2013 (I think 2013).

You keep spreading that rumor but my research hasn't fleshed that out. It would be easier if the disk didn't come assembled as one piece, but it is, so it's hard to determine. The parts fiche all show two different carriers in '11 and '12 and the odd one is labeled as '11. Just going by the pictures it appears that the '11 had a carrier very similar to the Versys carrier. In Johnson City I went down the rows in the parking lot looking at the different C14 model years assembled there and there was no rhyme or reason that I could see to the few that had the odd carriers. I suspect that there may have been a parts supplier problem and they just used the Versys carrier in '11 and the same during that time for warranty replacements. There is a new part number from '12 on, but the part itself looks identical to earlier years (except for '11). In Johnson city I think there was only one '11 model that had the different carrier, the rest had the earlier version.

What I'm saying is that you maybe correct, but I can't find definitive evidence of same.   

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2018, 11:59:03 AM »
Oddly enough, it was walking down the rows of bikes in Johnson City that the different carriers presented themselves as obvious. In fact, I thought I was walking and talking about it with YOU but perhaps it was someone else. At any rate, the carriers make a very distinct change at one point and I am not even sure it was at a model year- break (could have been right in the middle of a model year run, such as the early '08's having the two pair of fairing screws, the shorter ones on the inside in the foam blocks, with later '08's omitting them).

I also verified this through the Kawasaki network but much like the KiPass return spring, they sort of 'slipped it in' without announcing it, no doubt because everyone with earlier models would want the new rotors. And the word I got was that if warranty replacing rotors on earlier bikes, they did in fact get the later style carrier.

And it seems they were finally successful in addressing the warped rotors problem, notice how the reports of the problem has virtually disappeared?

But you are absolutely right in that I cannot point to any reference, photo or data to show this change, so it could all be just a rumor, probably started by Kirby just to stir up trouble. You know how obnoxious the little rodent can be.....

Brian

You keep spreading that rumor but my research hasn't fleshed that out. It would be easier if the disk didn't come assembled as one piece, but it is, so it's hard to determine. The parts fiche all show two different carriers in '11 and '12 and the odd one is labeled as '11. Just going by the pictures it appears that the '11 had a carrier very similar to the Versys carrier. In Johnson City I went down the rows in the parking lot looking at the different C14 model years assembled there and there was no rhyme or reason that I could see to the few that had the odd carriers. I suspect that there may have been a parts supplier problem and they just used the Versys carrier in '11 and the same during that time for warranty replacements. There is a new part number from '12 on, but the part itself looks identical to earlier years (except for '11). In Johnson city I think there was only one '11 model that had the different carrier, the rest had the earlier version.

What I'm saying is that you maybe correct, but I can't find definitive evidence of same.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2018, 11:31:01 PM »
Oddly enough, it was walking down the rows of bikes in Johnson City that the different carriers presented themselves as obvious. In fact, I thought I was walking and talking about it with YOU but perhaps it was someone else.

You are correct, sort of. It was me, but I remember it a little differently. I recall you looking at a few bikes in one area and seeing one different carrier and then going back in 'cause it was hot out there and you were convinced you were right. I continued down the line to the end of the row and then back up the other side towards the main entrance. I wasn't able  to come to any conclusions based on what I was seeing.

I've been staring at these two photos ( '10 and '14 ) and I can now see the difference that I couldn't see before. I now think you are correct and I was wrong but I do think there are actually three carriers involved.
(1, # 41080-0102-5C )The original from '08 through '10, (2, # 41080-0564-11I ) one that looked like the one from the Versys used on some '11 and maybe some '12 models and certainly in some warranty replacements, (3, #41080-0570-5C ) a redesigned one that looks more like the original but is definitely different than the original and used on some'12s and all years after '12.

So I take it back, you are not spreading a rumor Brian.  :thumbs:  Well maybe about Kirby, but not about brakes.

What is amazing to me is that when the bikes were right in front of me I couldn't see the difference (between carriers 1 and 3) but with the pictures side by side it is much clearer. It might of had something to do with the change in wheel colors ('12 and up) messing with my vision??....nah ..I'm just blind I guess.  :-[

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2018, 05:37:33 AM »
What is amazing to me is that when the bikes were right in front of me I couldn't see the difference (between carriers 1 and 3) but with the pictures side by side it is much clearer.

I still don't  :(  Not sure what I am looking for, though...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2018, 07:24:41 AM »
Yeah, it was hot. Remember that guy welding, off to the side, without any source of heat? He was just rubbing the stick in the gap and it was melting.....  And remember those big buckets of "ice water" in the lobby actually had tropical fish swimming in them?

There may well have been three or even more rotor types over the production run of the C-14. There was also a very significant brake pad change in 2010. All efforts to stop the rotors from warping. But the reason I believe there were two main rotor carrier types was seeing both on a dealer's floor. That made me question it and that got the story about the change that was not announced.

And there is nothing wrong with starting a rumor as long as it is a good rumor. And the C-14 rotor carrier would be pretty lame IMO. A good rumor was the one where the gov't provided those heavily discounted conversion boxes through PBS so one could still use an analog TV when the broadcasts went over to digital a few years ago..... and someone (I think it was Kirby  >:(  ) started the rumor that the whole thing was an elaborate scheme to cover up the fact that those boxes were ALSO cameras used by the gov't to spy on the public. That was a good rumor IMO. I even.... er, I mean Kirby even thought of dressing it up by tieing it to the guy from the grassy knoll but that might have been too much- that guy is probably too old now to design sophisticated electronic devices.

Brian

You are correct, sort of. It was me, but I remember it a little differently. I recall you looking at a few bikes in one area and seeing one different carrier and then going back in 'cause it was hot out there and you were convinced you were right. I continued down the line to the end of the row and then back up the other side towards the main entrance. I wasn't able  to come to any conclusions based on what I was seeing.

I've been staring at these two photos ( '10 and '14 ) and I can now see the difference that I couldn't see before. I now think you are correct and I was wrong but I do think there are actually three carriers involved.
(1, # 41080-0102-5C )The original from '08 through '10, (2, # 41080-0564-11I ) one that looked like the one from the Versys used on some '11 and maybe some '12 models and certainly in some warranty replacements, (3, #41080-0570-5C ) a redesigned one that looks more like the original but is definitely different than the original and used on some'12s and all years after '12.

So I take it back, you are not spreading a rumor Brian.  :thumbs:  Well maybe about Kirby, but not about brakes.

What is amazing to me is that when the bikes were right in front of me I couldn't see the difference (between carriers 1 and 3) but with the pictures side by side it is much clearer. It might of had something to do with the change in wheel colors ('12 and up) messing with my vision??....nah ..I'm just blind I guess.  :-[
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2018, 11:30:37 AM »
I still don't  :(  Not sure what I am looking for, though...
Yeah, I think that's why I was having such a problem in the parking lot that afternoon.

I hope these will help. Gleaned from the internet and Ron Ayers website. Hopefully you'll see what I do, the updated carrier is smaller in diameter than the original one and the inward extending tabs from the disk to the buttons are correspondingly longer on the updated design. I was unable to find a photo of a C14 with what I refer to as the Versys style carrier. I did find a fiche drawing of it (labeled '11).
 I don't think mama Kaw updated the fiche drawings of the updated design as it looks identical to me between the '10 and the '14. In the photos I think the difference is more noticeable on the right side as the speed sensor ring helps to emphasize the difference in diameter of the carrier.

right side:

left side:

fiche:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2018, 11:40:53 AM »
Marty are you snowed in?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2018, 11:53:20 AM »
The photos are very good but the change in distance, angle and perspective make it tough to see a clear difference, at least to my eyes. Also, both sets of photos you show <seem> to indicate a wider mounting tab on the rotors in addition to possible differences in the rotor carriers. This is the first I have seen regarding changes in the rotors themselves rather than just the rotor carriers.

??

The thing I remember about seeing the differences between the two different style rotor carriers is how they blocked the light coming through them rather than the actual shape or size of the legs of the actual carriers. Sort of like one appeared 'denser' than the other, blocking more light.

What we really need in someone to take a handful of photos of various C-14's at a gathering, with the photographer trying to concentrate on getting the same distance and perspective on each photo.

I also looked at the parts fiche from various years and while it is tough or impossible to tell that the later carriers are different, some photos show a distinct 2010 model year type that I do not remember ever seeing, on any C-14. ?

At any rate, you have peaked my curiosity a little bit so I think I will dig around a little bit on this issue. Besides, time to look at the 2018's on the dealer's floor anyway.  ::)

Brian

Yeah, I think that's why I was having such a problem in the parking lot that afternoon.

I hope these will help. Gleaned from the internet and Ron Ayers website. Hopefully you'll see what I do, the updated carrier is smaller in diameter than the original one and the inward extending tabs from the disk to the buttons are correspondingly longer on the updated design. I was unable to find a photo of a C14 with what I refer to as the Versys style carrier. I did find a fiche drawing of it (labeled '11).
 I don't think mama Kaw updated the fiche drawings of the updated design as it looks identical to me between the '10 and the '14. In the photos I think the difference is more noticeable on the right side as the speed sensor ring helps to emphasize the difference in diameter of the carrier.

right side:

left side:

fiche:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2018, 03:20:21 PM »
This carrier thing is interesting enough to be in a different thread.  I do think I see the difference, the metal in the "triangles" is a little less wide in one than the other.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2018, 03:30:51 PM »
I promise you Farty, in 2010 they made some Connies with no ABS, no linked brakes and no TC. Neptune Blue no less.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2018, 03:53:56 PM »
Marty are you snowed in?
;D ;D
Kind of rained in at the moment. Flash flood warnings etc.

I promise you Farty, in 2010 they made some Connies with no ABS, no linked brakes and no TC. Neptune Blue no less.

Thanks Jimmy', I was 99.9 percent certain of that, but others needed convincing about the TC. You maybe the only non-ABS Gen II owner on this forum, until we hear otherwise you are our designated non-ABS GenII expert. So could you verify that you have two fuel maps (regular {or flashed} and the so called ECO mode or as max' likes to remind us "Fuel Economy Assistance Mode") and a memory position windshield (I'm sure you do, but I'm not the expert here, you are).

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2018, 04:04:51 PM »
That is interesting because I thought the Gen.2 models were introduced with T/C as a standard part, not an optional accessory.

So the standard equipment of both ABS as well as T/C started with the 2011 model?

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2018, 04:11:25 PM »
I have actually seen 2010, Gen. 2 C-14's without ABS so I know they are not leprechauns or unicorns. :-)  But I thought traction control was introduced and was standard (read: no choice) on all Gen. 2 bikes, starting in 2010. ?? But if someone says that they have a 2010 w/out T/C then obviously my thought was not correct. Interesting. I remember it being a 'bid deal' when it was introduced, and Kawasaki set up a demo with a 2010 w/ T/C and outriggers so it could not fall over, along with a water- covered plastic sheet that some press, and Fred Harmon, as I remember, could ride the test bike across; the results were that no one could ride the bike with the T/C disengaged but all could ride it, easily, with the T/C engaged.

Anyway, so was it 2011 when  T/C as well as ABS became standard equipment on the C-14?

BTW- I appreciate the input. The only way I know to end ignorance is to shed light and facts on any issue and I would rather be 'correct' than 'right'.  ;) ;D

Brian

;D ;D

Thanks Jimmy', I was 99.9 percent certain of that, but others needed convincing about the TC. You maybe the only non-ABS Gen II owner on this forum, until we hear otherwise you are our designated non-ABS GenII expert. So could you verify that you have two fuel maps (regular {or flashed} and the so called ECO mode or as max' likes to remind us "Fuel Economy Assistance Mode") and a memory position windshield (I'm sure you do, but I'm not the expert here, you are).

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2018, 04:27:07 PM »
;D ;D

My superior gen 1 '08 remembers exactly where the windshield is supposed to be.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2018, 04:51:15 PM »
My superior gen 1 '08 remembers exactly where the windshield is supposed to be.

Apparently, always "down full",  'cause you ain't got none choice on that "superior" gen 1 :)

Even though I have windscreen memory (gen 2), I don't use it, since I generally want to start off with it all the way down, anyway.  I could see how it would be a useful feature, however.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2018, 04:56:57 PM »
Anyway, so was it 2011 when  T/C as well as ABS became standard equipment on the C-14?

Apparently, yep.
In 2010 ABS/LB/TC was a single, optional package.

So they had a custom handlebar control for just that year... that is easy.  But what about the dash?  So on the 2010 non-ABS they used the 2009 dash plastics and yet upgraded the background lighting to white?  And on the 2010 ABS they used a newly designed dash plastics?  Seems so odd.  I would have expected it to be the new dash, regardless, complete with the ABS and TC lights, but just never used.  However, Jimmymac indicates he doesn't even have the unused lamps on his non-ABS 2010 dash.  Strange!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2018, 05:41:23 PM »
Apparently, always "down full",  'cause you ain't got none choice on that "superior" gen 1 :)

Even though I have windscreen memory (gen 2), I don't use it, since I generally want to start off with it all the way down, anyway.  I could see how it would be a useful feature, however.
???
It stays remains in the current position when you shut down.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2018, 08:19:36 PM »
???
It stays remains in the current position when you shut down.

The memory function of the gen2 will lower the screen all the way when the ignition is turned off (for storage, cover, protection/etc), then return it to a user-defined position preset when the bike is started again.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2018, 12:24:53 AM »
The memory function of the gen2 will lower the screen all the way when the ignition is turned off (for storage, cover, protection/etc), then return it to a user-defined position preset when the bike is started again.

Why ?

What sort of place are you storing your bike that the screen even being in the fully up position is going to cause a problem?

If it is then unless you're a person of seriously diminished stature you're not going to be able to walk in there yourself!!
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2018, 04:08:36 AM »

Seems like a bit of fluff. "look Ma....no hands."