Author Topic: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?  (Read 247269 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?
« Reply #1240 on: August 22, 2020, 08:59:22 AM »
Ug, I must be a glutton for punishment.  I ordered the XM4 last night and picking it up later today.

There will be no punishment, only music to your ears (depending, of course, on your choice of music).  :cool:

Let me know how/if you like/love em.

Don't forget the app for your cell.

Also, you have to do some digging and reading for this but if you use the phone app to change the EQ settings (any setting other than off) you will turn off DSEE (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine). If you've been doing some reading on these phones then you know what DSEE is and what it does.

Seen this?  https://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/wh1000xm4/v1/en/index.html

Here's the help guide for the cell phone app, Sony Headphone Connect.  https://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/hpc/v1/en/index.html
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1241 on: August 22, 2020, 09:43:09 PM »
There will be no punishment, only music to your ears (depending, of course, on your choice of music).  :cool:Let me know how/if you like/love em.

Well, the sound on these headphones is pretty fantastic, especially after I adjusted the EQ in the app.  They are very comfortable on my ears, although the top of my head hurts after using a while (similar problem I have with helmets).  The noise cancellation is impressive, also.  So, too, is the range- MUCH better than my cheesy bluetooth earphones.  The controls are quite good, and the voice controls are also good.  Haven't tried with phone calls (might never); also have not tried multi-connect.

The up to "30 hours" claim depends mostly on DSEE- it must be off.  With DSEE on (and noise cancelling on), it is only claimed for 18 hours (a MAJOR loss)!  Honestly, I can't tell much difference with DSEE on/off.   I would probably never use it with noise cancellation off (which would jump it to a claimed 38 hours).

The lack of a real "off" persists in this model- the "off" battery life is only 200 hours- that is one of my fears.  It means after just 4 days of not being used and "off", it will have lost HALF the battery charge; leave it "off" for a week and it will be completely dead.  So one has to charge it all the time.  I don't understand why these devices can't have an actual "OFF"; they can't be awakened by anything but a button press and don't DO anything when "off."  The only thing I can think of is bootup time.  I don't know about you, but I would rather have the option of a several second startup time if it meant I can store them as long as I like, knowing the battery is going to be almost where I left it, instead of dead when I want to use them.

Despite the top-head pressure and no actual "off", so far I am happy.

Also, you have to do some digging and reading for this but if you use the phone app to change the EQ settings (any setting other than off) you will turn off DSEE (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine).

There is no mention of that anywhere in the manual or anywhere else I can find.  Why do you think DSEE turns off if the EQ is not set to off?  Interestingly, there is no "on" setting, only "auto" or "off" so one doesn't really know when it is on or off in "auto."  Considering how much battery DSEE consumes, perhaps it being off is a good thing, anyway?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1242 on: August 23, 2020, 07:11:21 AM »
Turning off the headset
Press and hold the  (power) button for about 2 seconds until the indicator (blue) turns off.

Hint
You can also turn off the headset with the “Sony | Headphones Connect” app.
The headset will automatically turn off after 15 minutes of not being worn. This setting can be changed using the “Sony | Headphones Connect” app.
When storing the headset in a bag, etc., turn off the headset. Wearing detection may react incorrectly.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1243 on: August 23, 2020, 07:31:32 AM »
As for the DSEE. This is what the manual says about the XM3.

About the DSEE HX function

The DSEE HX function upscales the compressed sound source data such as CD or MP3 to quality almost that of High-Resolution Audio quality and reproduces the clear high-range sound that is often lost.

The DSEE HX function is available when you set as follows by using the "Sony | Headphones Connect" app.

DSEE HX -Auto

Connection - Bluetooth

Codec - SBC or AAC

Sound Position Control, Surround (VPT), Equalizer - All OFF

I found the same info above when I was reading through the manual for the XM4 but I can't seem to find it right now. You'll either have to take my word for it, or not.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1244 on: August 23, 2020, 07:36:19 AM »
Listening to Paul Simon - Diamonds On The Soles of Her Shoes

Max, check this song out on your new headphones.    :thumbs:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1245 on: August 23, 2020, 08:17:40 PM »
Turning off the headset  Press and hold the  (power) button for about 2 seconds until the indicator (blue) turns off.

I know how to turn it "off", I didn't know if this "off" was the same fake "off" as my old pair I returned (which was not really off, but in some strange "standby" mode with no actual off).  It could be I am misreading what they are saying on page 21 with the incorrect assumption it acts the same as my old pair.  They don't define what "standby" means, but now that I read it again a couple of times, and in better context, I think they mean when the headset is "on" but not playing music.  Yep, I think that is what they mean.  The 200 hours is when not playing music, not using NC, not using ambient sound, and apparently also not connected via bluetooth-  but why would you do that?  It can't even take a phone call or do ANYTHING in that mode.  Maybe with a wired connection?  So this is probably not a problem, after all.  I like Sony equipment (and have LOTS of it) but have never been that impressed with their manuals.

I found the same info above when I was reading through the manual for the XM4 but I can't seem to find it right now. You'll either have to take my word for it, or not.

I can't find ANY of that wording in the manual (and I tried many different searches).  Perhaps you are remembering from the XM3 manual and thought it was in the XM4, also?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1246 on: August 24, 2020, 07:28:59 AM »
Snip...

I can't find ANY of that wording in the manual (and I tried many different searches).  Perhaps you are remembering from the XM3 manual and thought it was in the XM4, also?

No, I'm positive that I read this. I was comparing the XM3 to the XM4 and I had both of the online manuals open on my computer, side by side.

The info for both was in tabular form and it clearly stated what I was saying. I'm not going to look for it any longer though, since I don't have the XM4.   

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1247 on: August 31, 2020, 07:10:09 AM »
For you sax lovers....

https://youtu.be/O-Q6A2HV-tU

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1248 on: November 08, 2020, 09:59:46 AM »
Rare Earth - I Just Want to Celebrate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRVPLPFoJL0

Kool & The Gang - Celebration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1249 on: November 08, 2020, 02:01:38 PM »
It's the end of the world as we know it.
https://youtu.be/8OyBtMPqpNY

We Didn't Start the Fire
https://youtu.be/dhqH4QpSgBI

as rome burns
https://youtu.be/jv5_PtpgaUc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1250 on: November 09, 2020, 06:17:03 AM »
Tell Me A Little Lie To Remember You By - Huey Lewis And The News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVTPtPkWzgU

Little Lies - Fleetwood Mac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCGD9dT12C0

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1251 on: November 09, 2020, 06:23:03 AM »
jeez, really guys?
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #1252 on: November 09, 2020, 06:32:57 AM »
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1253 on: November 09, 2020, 06:36:07 AM »
or a thinly veiled political pi$$ing contest.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1254 on: November 09, 2020, 06:39:22 AM »
jeez, really guys?

Yes really. You got something else to do or someplace else to be? It's harmless, so why the negativity?

Offline Conrad

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1256 on: November 09, 2020, 06:45:58 AM »
No negativity, just an observation, have fun kids.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1257 on: November 09, 2020, 06:56:35 AM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1258 on: November 09, 2020, 04:37:52 PM »
Amerika's future national anthem...

https://youtu.be/-W4YetUHhKM

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV