Author Topic: Aircraft we like..  (Read 243767 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Aircraft we like..
« Reply #640 on: September 11, 2015, 04:02:05 AM »
My favorite aircraft.  Partially filmed at the AF Museum (my favorite museum) in Dayton, OH.

http://youtu.be/Q8hUk5CFFN8
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #641 on: September 12, 2015, 06:29:04 AM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #642 on: September 12, 2015, 03:02:12 PM »
Can't say that I really like them...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #643 on: September 12, 2015, 03:05:56 PM »
They look baddass in a utilitarian way. Hope they work as well.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #644 on: September 12, 2015, 03:29:56 PM »
Not at first they won't.  It'll take time to get the kinks worked out and by the time that happens there will be a new one coming through unless the new bomber takes all the funds, which I suspect will happen.

Hard to believe that the F-22 is already about 10 years into it's life cycle.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #645 on: September 12, 2015, 04:10:15 PM »
The utube vids of the F-35 doing short take off and vertical carrier landings are impressive. I haven't look to see what kind of weapons loadout they have.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #646 on: September 16, 2015, 06:37:53 AM »
Gives me a new perspective on ATC. Oh, and I almost forgot... easy boys!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #647 on: September 16, 2015, 06:52:13 AM »
I had no idea that Northrup build at least 10 of the B-49 flying wings. I thought they just built 1 or 2 prototypes.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #648 on: September 16, 2015, 09:27:28 PM »
I had no idea that Northrup build at least 10 of the B-49 flying wings. I thought they just built 1 or 2 prototypes.

I count at least eleven in the photo that are outdoors there. Neat photo.
Probably were more....
Aliens took em.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #649 on: September 17, 2015, 05:52:03 AM »
So far ahead of their time..  Here's something from Wikipedia on Jack Northrop and the B-2.

Northrop dabbled in real estate and lost much of his personal fortune. In 1976, with his health failing, he felt compelled to communicate to NASA his belief in the low drag high lift concept inherent in the flying wing. NASA replied that the idea had technological merit comforting Northrop that his flying wing concepts hadn't been completely abandoned. By the late 1970s a variety of illnesses had left him unable to walk or speak. Shortly before his death in 1981, he was given clearance to see designs and hold a scale model of the Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit which shared many of the design features of his YB-35 and YB-49 designs.[7] Northrop reportedly wrote on a sheet of paper "Now I know why God has kept me alive for 25 years". In the Wing Will Fly documentary, B-2 project designer John Cashen says: "As he held this model in his shaking hands, it was as if you could see his entire history with the flying wing passing through his mind." Jack Northrop died 10 months later, on February 18, 1981

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #650 on: September 17, 2015, 06:05:54 AM »
Germany had em in the early 40s. And theirs were jet powered.  Junkers had the concept in the teens.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #651 on: September 19, 2015, 05:37:45 AM »
Anybody catch this one in the news this week?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/14/travel/ana-star-wars-planes-september-2015/

I'm no Star Wars nut, but this IS pretty cool. I like adding a theme to something that's otherwise commercial or industrial in use.
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #652 on: September 19, 2015, 06:09:54 AM »
I can't even mention Star Wars around my wife.  She is still miffed that we saw the original movie on our wedding day.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #653 on: September 19, 2015, 06:13:45 AM »
I can't even mention Star Wars around my wife.  She is still miffed that we saw the original movie on our wedding day.
Why...is she a Trekkie?

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #654 on: September 19, 2015, 06:39:50 AM »

In 1977? Maybe Smokey & The Bandit or Saturday Night Fever would have been better choices?...LOL.

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #655 on: September 19, 2015, 07:29:04 AM »
Not for me (it's all about me)...  And she isn't a Trekkie and neither am I.  Just liked watching those movies.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #656 on: September 27, 2015, 07:04:34 AM »
K-46 Tanker flight.  I don't like that tall tail on it's ass end.  The early B-52s had tall tails like that and had issues with them.  Hopefully it won't be problematic for the new tanker.

http://youtu.be/asAaWyNvxSY

Offline SapperLdr

« Reply #657 on: September 27, 2015, 01:07:02 PM »
I don't believe they modified the original 767 tail.
Living the dream in Arizona.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #658 on: September 27, 2015, 01:17:09 PM »
They may not have to...   The B-52 D's had issues when they went to lower level flights.  I don't think that the K-46 will be flying that low..

Offline Bergmen

• Arena
« Reply #659 on: October 01, 2015, 02:52:06 PM »
At the Reno Air Races this year, this is Rare Bear, a highly modified Grumman F-8 Bearcat with a hopped-up Curtis-Wright R3350 engine putting out over 3,000 horsepower (or so I hear). As you can see, the prop diameter is so large it cannot rotate during take-off which would risk a prop strike to the runway and must do a "three point" take off:

Dan