Author Topic: Linked Brakes Fixed  (Read 71620 times)

Offline Jim H

Re: Linked Brakes Fixed
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2014, 04:39:32 PM »
  Coming in late I know.....sorry.....just wondering if anyone else has tried Randy's idea and how it has worked out so far.  Any issues....seems to me keeping the anti lock on both wheels without being linked would be a home run.  Not sure what was meant by liability.....my 94 vmax with its stock brakes should have been a liability!  LOL  That is why I put R1 brakes all the way around with FJR masters.....if what is happening here is just to unlink, I would think it would be fine.  But....again,  late comer I know...LOL

Jim H

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2014, 11:53:11 PM »
I had some Japanese engineers unlink my C14 brakes for me... in 2008  8)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2014, 04:12:14 AM »
Hopefully they weren't the ones that initially aimed the headlights.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2014, 07:10:28 AM »
actually, there was a chap that did an internship in my company until last year. He previously worked in Kawasaki Germany and his task was to un-crate the bikes in Cologne when they arrived to Germany. He was one of those that aimed the lights, he might have actually put together my bike and done exactly that  :D
My lights were absolutely fine, btw.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2014, 07:21:06 AM »
I had some Japanese engineers unlink my C14 brakes for me... in 2008  8)

Do you have ABS? And if yes, does the ABS still work front and back?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2014, 07:29:07 AM »
uh, what year did they link the brakes?  ::)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2014, 08:17:24 AM »
Do you have ABS? And if yes, does the ABS still work front and back?

Rhino, the gen 1 bikes 08/09 never had linked brakes.  They did have optional ABS.  Mine has ABS.  In fact, there is a design PDF that says Kwakers purposely did not link them.  What happened with the gen 2's to change that thinking on Kwakers part I have no idea.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2014, 09:00:50 AM »
Rhino, the gen 1 bikes 08/09 never had linked brakes.  They did have optional ABS.  Mine has ABS.  In fact, there is a design PDF that says Kwakers purposely did not link them.  What happened with the gen 2's to change that thinking on Kwakers part I have no idea.

Duh! I fell for Matin's joke!  :-[

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2014, 10:33:43 AM »
here ya go.... :doh:

Offline Cuda

« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2014, 02:26:44 PM »
I NEVER use my rear brake unless I'm under 20mph , so I have NO Idea what all the fuss is about, has anyone heard of down shifting ::) 
THAT is why we have a slipper clutch ... for DOWN shifting  .
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Jim H

« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2014, 03:00:19 PM »
I NEVER use my rear brake unless I'm under 20mph , so I have NO Idea what all the fuss is about, has anyone heard of down shifting ::) 
THAT is why we have a slipper clutch ... for DOWN shifting  .

Not trying to get into the "I do/don't use brakes" argument....just trying to followup with others to see if they did the "fix" that Randy came up with......and by the way,  our linked brakes are a problem.  I downshift, use front or back or both depending on road conditions, speed etc.....if you don't use your rear brake,  just disconnect it then (insert sarcasm and smile)????  See how this gets stupid fast.  So, no offense meant,  just trying to stay on topic....thanks everyone. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2014, 03:03:28 PM »
I NEVER use my rear brake unless I'm under 20mph , so I have NO Idea what all the fuss is about,

Me neither.  The linking can be increased or decreased (high and low mode) which is even remembered across battery pulls, and deactivates automatically at low speed.  But some people want complete control over the breaking, which the linking removes.  You supposedly can still trail brake effectively with them linked (especially on "low").  Yet I agree with them that it is annoying Kawasaki didn't have an "off" option instead of just "high" and "low" linking... it is a bit baffling.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2014, 03:22:24 PM »
I'm actually thoroughly surprised no one has seen/ posted this video on how the linked brake system works...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRqSTkwQRMM

That said, it's SUPID that Kawi thinks we need a computer system to determine proper braking ratio for us... It's not like we have front and rear drum brakes anymore... What if I want more rear brake to steer the bike into a corner, but still want to drag the front slightly?  even after almost 12k miles on this bike, I still go back to what I'm used to of not having a linked system, and getting surprised when I touch the rear brake.  And I downshift like a mofo when slowing down grabbing a handful of front and rear.

I would like to keep the ABS, as it's a huge safety thing on the street, but lose the links!
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2014, 03:52:09 PM »
I would like to keep the ABS, as it's a huge safety thing on the street, but lose the links!

I don't necessarily think they they need to lose the linking option as much as they need to just offer an "off" option.  The sad part is that it is simply a software option that would cost essentially zero to add.  In fact, they could probably offer a reprogram retrofit.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 08:20:06 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2014, 04:02:44 PM »
I don't necessarily think they they need to lose the linking option as much as they need to just offer an "off" option.  The sad part is that I believe that is simply a software option that would cost essentially zero to add (unless the "low" and "high" mode is not really variable, which it might not be... in which case it would require a hardware change, but probably not a very big one).

Lol, thats what I meant.  The ability to shut it off.  I know it has its purposes for some peoples style of riding, but not for me. 

Here's another cool link I just came across.  Haven't fully looked through it but it looks pretty informative. 

http://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/technology/chassis/tech_k-act_abs_e.html

EDIT:  It almost looks like if we can disable the pumps, we can alleviate the issue...
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline RandyN

« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2014, 08:03:51 PM »
I'm actually thoroughly surprised no one has seen/ posted this video on how the linked brake system works...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRqSTkwQRMM

That said, it's SUPID that Kawi thinks we need a computer system to determine proper braking ratio for us... It's not like we have front and rear drum brakes anymore... What if I want more rear brake to steer the bike into a corner, but still want to drag the front slightly?  even after almost 12k miles on this bike, I still go back to what I'm used to of not having a linked system, and getting surprised when I touch the rear brake.  And I downshift like a mofo when slowing down grabbing a handful of front and rear.

Slick video. Makes it seem like we all need it to be able to ride. Problem is it is so abrupt and unpredictable in the application, that bothers me. Both my Gold Wing and FJR1300 were nearly seamless in the linkage.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2014, 09:12:24 AM »
I can see the value of my 08 going up.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2014, 02:23:25 PM »
I can see the value of my 08 going up.

You have better chance of having another drink and watching your blood pressure going UP ::)
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Jim H

« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2014, 04:26:39 PM »
  I am amazed no one else has chimed in on trying this.....so much original feedback.  Not that I don't believe Randy, I would just
like to hear from others reporting positive results.  Where are you folks????????

Jim

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2014, 05:13:55 PM »
You have better chance of having another drink and watching your blood pressure going UP ::)

Drinking actually lowers my BP...which I'm doing now.