Author Topic: The Deadly Dozen: 12 Motorcycle Safety Myths and Misconceptions  (Read 7303 times)

Offline anycleavers

Not sure where to post this. Interesting article I came across, from Motorcycle Cruiser online (no affiliation).
Is it OK to post links like this? If not please edit and delete. Thanks

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsurvival/dangerous_motorcycle_safety_myths/index.html#ixzz1Q3d7Jz1K
"Always take the long way home."

Offline tonedeaf

Re: The Deadly Dozen: 12 Motorcycle Safety Myths and Misconceptions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 08:08:04 PM »
Great collection. Almost everyone of them is on my pet peeves list.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 05:39:02 AM »
Nice!

I've never read it explained better than this.

Myth 2: Loud Pipes Save Lives
Yeah, there are a few situations—like where you are right next to a driver with his window down who is about the to change lanes—where full-time noise-makers might help a driver notice you, but all that noise directed rearward doesn't do much in the most common and much more dangerous conflict where a car turns in front of you. Maybe it's the fatigue caused by the noise, maybe it's the attitudes of riders who insist on making annoying noise, or perhaps loud bikes annoy enough drivers to make them aggressive. Whatever the reason, the research shows that bikes with modified exhaust systems crash more frequently than those with stock pipes. If you really want to save lives, turn to a loud jacket or a bright helmet color, which have been proven to do the job. Or install a louder horn. Otherwise, just shut up.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 11:17:40 AM »
Excellent and couldn't agree more. Printed out extra copies for my daughter and her boyfriend, both of whom are newbie street riders.

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 07:10:39 PM »
I've been sending stuff like this to my older sis who is about to become a first time rider. 
She's in her low 50's and "dammit" really wants to ride a motorcycle. If you have ever met her, once her mind is made, that's it, all in. She went and bought a 750 Shadow and is planning on a MSF class to get her on the road. That wouldn't be my choice for a first time rider but it's her rodeo, she will not be dissuaded.  I sure wish I were closer, to help and advise, but I'm 800 miles away. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 05:52:18 AM »
I've been sending stuff like this to my older sis who is about to become a first time rider. 
She's in her low 50's and "dammit" really wants to ride a motorcycle. If you have ever met her, once her mind is made, that's it, all in. She went and bought a 750 Shadow and is planning on a MSF class to get her on the road. That wouldn't be my choice for a first time rider but it's her rodeo, she will not be dissuaded.  I sure wish I were closer, to help and advise, but I'm 800 miles away.

Good luck to her! Too bad she didn't take the MSF class before she got the bike.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 03:04:39 PM »
I agree and told her as much. But she hasn't ridden her bike and won't until after the class is over.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 03:23:36 PM »
Question on lane splitting. Do any of you do it on a Connie with those hanging out that far?
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 10:20:02 PM »
I really like Number 8: Lay it Down.

I think this one got started by people riding 50's and 60's era Triumphs (sort of the zenith of the demise of British manufacturing). This myth was gospel with these bikes. These bikes were my introduction to riding and I think in this case there was some truth to the myth -- the bikes had such abominable brakes that I think you really could stop faster by using friction with the asphalt to stop instead of the brakes.

;)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 07:11:36 AM »
Question on lane splitting. Do any of you do it on a Connie with those hanging out that far?

Not in Illinois we don't.

Offline Bradley14

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 06:32:04 PM »
sounds logical
Just because you're paranoid does not mean that someone is not out to get you.

Offline joelberg

• Arena
  • 70k and ticking
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 04:07:37 PM »
Yes.  Every day.
Connie may not be the lightest, prettiest, or quickest around, but she sure gives me one heck of a ride!

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 04:10:38 PM »
Lane splitting would scare the hell out of me.....no way.

Offline jbailey

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 09:19:53 PM »
The amazing thing is that this comes from "Cruiser" magazine.  Aren't their readers the ones who disagree with this the most?  Maybe this will help convince some of the cruiser types.  Unfortunately, probably will fall on deaf ears.  :o

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 05:42:31 PM »
Look around their site, there are some other well written pieces. Just goes to show, the 'cruiser' stereotype is a myth.

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 07:51:24 PM »
It's actually the un-helmeted rider who is likely to cross from animal to vegetable kingdom, and often from a relatively minor impact that would have damaged nothing but his ego if he'd been wearing a DOT helmet.

Read more: http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsurvival/dangerous_motorcycle_safety_myths/index.html#ixzz1QX0B3xEK

I know, its a very serious subject, but the line about crossing from animal to vegetable kingdom made me chuckle!

Overall it is a very good article!
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 08:01:31 PM »
I have trouble with the lane sharing thing.....

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 08:11:04 PM »
I liked it, good collection.  It seems like they really stressed the helmet thing (Good subject though, more people need to wear their gear).
It's actually the un-helmeted rider who is likely to cross from animal to vegetable kingdom, and often from a relatively minor impact that would have damaged nothing but his ego if he'd been wearing a DOT helmet.

I know, its a very serious subject, but the line about crossing from animal to vegetable kingdom made me chuckle!

yeah, I found that pretty amusing, hahaha.   :D
Past: XR650R, 250 Ninjette.
Present: None...
Next: C-14, '08-09 Speed Triple, and/or Sprint GT.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 07:40:22 AM »
The cruiser stereotype is a myth?
There sure are a lot of myths riding around!
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 08:14:19 AM »
I coach youth athletics and the other day a parent overheard me talking about one of our rides.  She came up and said: "I'm surprised you ride a motorcycle, it's really dangerous".  I just smiled and asked her to count how many bikes she see's on the road where the rider is wearing shorts, athletic shoes, no helmet and tank top OH and TWO UP with the same attire. 

I saw her the other day, she actually approached me, she couldn't believe how many "unprotected" riders there are on the road.   I explained to her that when we ride we are in full gear and that it is not a guarantee and how we try to do things when we ride that tilt the scales in our favor.  I also commented about the amount of motorcycle fatalities we read about and asked her: "how many of those do you think were "geared up""?  She definitely understood where I was going.  I can't imagine sliding across the ashphalt on a HOT summers day with my wife sliding too Unprotected......  I DON'T GET IT!!!!  If you hit the pavement @ 70 mph "naked" your chances have to be slim.