Author Topic: Looking at a Road King?  (Read 5555 times)

Offline clogan

Looking at a Road King?
« on: December 06, 2013, 03:17:29 PM »
Never had a Harley before, but there's a 2012 Road King for sale near here, that is tempting. 2,000 miles, perfect, $16,000.
Lots of chrome, 103 engine, 6 speed, quick detach shield, soft bags, etc. etc.

No tour pack. I never ride two up, and do not care for the overstuffed, La-Z-Boy look of the tour pack. But that's just me, so that's a plus for the RK.

Problem is, that's a lot of coin for a bike with half the horses of my Connie. What if I hate it? Well...guess I could wait til spring and resell it I suppose...

Anyhow, what do y'all think of Harleys in general, and the 2012 RK in particular? There seem to be more Harleys sold, and for sale, than all of the other makes and models of bikes combined. That's gotta mean something.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Looking at a Road King?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 03:49:02 PM »
I had a RK for a couple of years. A bit of top end and carb work made the power acceptable for what it was. Very comfortable ride. It was the only one I could get the wife on (with the aforementioned lazyboy tourpack). The biggest complaint I had and the reason I got rid of it was the lack of lean angle. It's my understanding that has improved with the new frame in 09 I think. Lots of chrome is a negative to me. If you can get it for less since it's off season, you won't get hurt so bad at the end of next season when you're done with it. You'd keep the connie?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 04:01:37 PM »
If I was in the market for a V-twin cruiser, I would consider a Victory Cross Country. Rode one a couple of months ago when the factory truck came through town. Seemed to run and handle better then some rental Harleys I rode in the past.

Offline clogan

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 04:12:14 PM »
I had a RK for a couple of years. A bit of top end and carb work made the power acceptable for what it was. Very comfortable ride. It was the only one I could get the wife on (with the aforementioned lazyboy tourpack). The biggest complaint I had and the reason I got rid of it was the lack of lean angle. It's my understanding that has improved with the new frame in 09 I think. Lots of chrome is a negative to me. If you can get it for less since it's off season, you won't get hurt so bad at the end of next season when you're done with it. You'd keep the connie?

Oh, yeah...keeping the Connie for sure. Best bike I've ever had...so far. But then, I have always liked all my bikes. Never had one I regretted buying. I have lived to regret some of the mods I've done over the years, but that's another story, LOL!

Guess I'll bide my time...see if Craig still has it on his list after Christmas. Prolly be on to a different bike by then. Or maybe just keep the coin in the bank. That would be the smart thing.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 09:55:09 PM »
In my opinion, no, never.  Take it for a real ride of at least 100 miles and then decide.  I have only been on one for a week, dread my next time on one (the horrors of my job ;)).  I kept looking for the torque owners speak about, just isn't there (well, nothing impressive IMO).  Expensive piece of farm equipment that isn't suited for farm work.  But boy, they sure do look good :)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 10:14:26 PM »
In my opinion, no, never.  Take it for a real ride of at least 100 miles and then decide.  I have only been on one for a week, dread my next time on one (the horrors of my job ;)).  I kept looking for the torque owners speak about, just isn't there (well, nothing impressive IMO).  Expensive piece of farm equipment that isn't suited for farm work.  But boy, they sure do look good :)

^^^^THAT
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 02:39:09 AM »
For that kind of money, look for a used Diavel.  It will make the Connie feel slow

Offline clogan

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 08:31:48 AM »
Thanks, guys! Deep down, I knew what you are all saying is true. You have confirmed it. Thanks.

Glad that's out of my system!

Now...maybe I'll browse for a Diavel...or maybe a Multistrada...

So many bikes; so little time (and money)!

Merry Christmas to all!
Ride safely, guys!
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 09:22:59 AM »
Thanks, guys! Deep down, I knew what you are all saying is true. You have confirmed it. Thanks.

Glad that's out of my system!

Now...maybe I'll browse for a Diavel...or maybe a Multistrada...

So many bikes; so little time (and money)!

Merry Christmas to all!
Ride safely, guys!

If you're going that route for the adrenaline fix, i suggest look at its competitor too  KTM 1190 or 1190 R :

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Online Strawboss

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 09:29:39 AM »
Nice bike, that's for sure, I don't know enough about new HD prices to have an opinion about whether or not its a deal. Good dealer support and great factory and aftermarket parts availability. More folks will wave to you as opposed to the Concours.  ;D
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 08:34:14 AM »
Every motorcycle brings something to the motorcycling experience.  What appeals to me about the road king is that you can quickly remove the windshield and ride in the wind, or add lowers and a batwing and ride in the cold.  If you want to carry a passenger you can add a quick release backrest.  Going on a long trip?  Add a quick release tourpak.  It is the most versatile of all the Harley touring cruisers.

I have as much fun on my KLX250S as I have on my Concours. 

It is a totally different riding position and style of riding than the Concours.  Unless you are one of those "Sportbike only" riders you should enjoy it for what it is.  A Cruiser.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 07:05:42 AM »
If ya bought the RK you'd have to buy pirate clothes and a trailer and tow vehicle.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 08:52:44 AM »
Every motorcycle brings something to the motorcycling experience.  What appeals to me about the road king is that you can quickly remove the windshield and ride in the wind, or add lowers and a batwing and ride in the cold.  If you want to carry a passenger you can add a quick release backrest.  Going on a long trip?  Add a quick release tourpak.  It is the most versatile of all the Harley touring cruisers.

I have as much fun on my KLX250S as I have on my Concours. 

It is a totally different riding position and style of riding than the Concours.  Unless you are one of those "Sportbike only" riders you should enjoy it for what it is.  A Cruiser.

:thumbs:  Well said! My 2001 beat up Suzuki DR-650 is a very different experience from the 2010 Connie but is a blast to ride.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 04:48:38 PM »
If ya bought the RK you'd have to buy pirate clothes and a trailer and tow vehicle.

Hope your just kidding.  Unless of course you wear the stereotypical gear associated with your bikes of choice.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 06:59:25 AM »
Rent one at a HD dealer. Many have test rides too.  I did and when I was looking at the Heritage.
Many low mile used ones out there can be a good deal IMHO