Author Topic: C-14 motor swap?????????  (Read 727 times)

Offline PDXrider

C-14 motor swap?????????
« on: December 07, 2020, 07:40:08 AM »
Hi guys!

Just a DIYer garage mechanic here. Looking for a new project bike. I found a dead 2009 C-14. I haven't looked at the bike yet but I spoke with the owner. It looks like a motor swap would be the most economical way to get this girl back on the road. Not sure if the new (used) motor would even be compatible with the electronics (ECU) of this bike. I haven't found much info on this subject. I would appreciate any information anyone would like to share. Thanks

Offline Freddy

Re: C-14 motor swap?????????
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 03:55:09 PM »
Engines are interchangeable; electronics between early and later models not so much.  The engines are bullet proof. I wonder what happened?
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 05:05:07 PM »
Engines are interchangeable; electronics between early and later models not so much.

Certainly less probable between gen 1 and gen 2.  And since he has a gen 1 (2009), the available pool of swappable stuff will be much smaller.  As for within generations but of different years, I would say "probably."  The worst part of all is that he will have to make SURE he gets at least one working fob with whatever CPU he can use, or the cost will skyrocket.

The engines are bullet proof. I wonder what happened?

Good question.  If I had to guess (with zero information), I bet it is electrical...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Freddy

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 03:38:03 PM »
If only the engine is being swapped a fob from the donor bike is not needed.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?