Author Topic: Freeing up rotor buttons  (Read 8528 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Freeing up rotor buttons
« on: May 13, 2013, 05:02:40 PM »
The rotor buttons on my EBC rotors do not rotate.  I'm thinking they need to be freed up a bit.  Any suggestions on how to do this? 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Freeing up rotor buttons
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 06:08:16 PM »
Do they need to rotate or just be free to move? I inserted a tapered punch into each button on mine and wiggled it just enough to see movement. Don't know if it was necessary but did it anyway.

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 07:37:32 PM »
I used a bolt, nut and 2 washers with an outside diameter similar to the diameter of the buttons. Snugged it all up and a gentle clockwise turn on the bolt will result in freeing up the buttons. There are some YouTube videos showing people using lubricants on the buttons. I did not use any lube for fear of any residue winding up on the rotors.
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 08:33:36 PM »
Mine don't either, being as how they are the square drive?  Even new they never rotated.

Offline pistole

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 11:16:10 PM »
- use a 10 mm allen key / drive bit.

- hold it a bit sideways and it will bite the bobbin and you can then turn it.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 11:32:31 PM »
The rotor buttons on my EBC rotors do not rotate.  ...

Why do you think they need to rotate?

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline pistole

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 01:17:34 AM »
- cannot speak for EBC rotors since the rotors on my 2012 C14 are stock.

- the stock bobbins are definitely "sprung" . Allowing for the rotor to move/expand. As you turn them , dirt will come out and if you don't rotate them for a while , they tend to seize.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 04:05:11 AM »
Why do you think they need to rotate?

Rick

I've always thought that they should.  I was just thinking about doing some maintenance to the front wheel area and that was one of things I wanted to check for.

I used a bolt, nut and 2 washers with an outside diameter similar to the diameter of the buttons. Snugged it all up and a gentle clockwise turn on the bolt will result in freeing up the buttons. There are some YouTube videos showing people using lubricants on the buttons. I did not use any lube for fear of any residue winding up on the rotors.

I tried that trick.....didn't work....much.   The first one I tried moved just a very tiny bit and I couldn't get any more movement out of it.  Not like those youtube videos show.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 07:45:12 AM »
Is the consensus that the buttons should turn? I'll have to check.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 07:56:08 AM »
The EBC buttons will not rotate as they are indeed squared on the inside.  If they turn it's time to quit drinking 8)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 10:25:24 AM »
I'll go with the squared explanation.  I'm not stopping drinking.  Thanks SOP.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 11:58:19 AM »
Hey Jim!

If you're looking for something to do on your bike, how's about those Canyon Cages? Did they get installed YET?    :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 12:20:13 PM »
I'll go with the squared explanation.  I'm not stopping drinking.

;D :chugbeer:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 12:20:38 PM »
On my list...but no, Conrad.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 05:00:56 PM »
On my list...but no, Conrad.

You are just ASKING to drop that thing, you know...
Stop fiddling with the "buttons" and install the damn things!  It will be one of the best things you ever do.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 05:58:40 PM »
My kingdom for a Time Lord.  You know there's never one about when you need one...  My problem dear Max is time or lack thereof.  I'm working various weekends and the ones I don't I'm with the family.  Now that it's staying lighter I have more time after work but the kettle is on the boil and we're so easily called away.....anyway you get the point, I'm sure.  I'm also replacing a rear tire and changing the battery in the rear TPMS.  So much work so little time...

Son of Pappy

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 06:41:08 PM »
Cages are a 45 minute job, even for a guy with a bad back!!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 06:59:52 PM »
My kingdom for a Time Lord.  You know there's never one about when you need one...  My problem dear Max is time or lack thereof.  I'm working various weekends and the ones I don't I'm with the family.  Now that it's staying lighter I have more time after work but the kettle is on the boil and we're so easily called away.....anyway you get the point, I'm sure.  I'm also replacing a rear tire and changing the battery in the rear TPMS.  So much work so little time...

Go put em on Sparky, I'll play the role of mod while you're away...

Trust me, no inappropriate pics will be posted while I'm running the show...  ;D :chugbeer:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 07:32:56 PM »
 :doh:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 07:41:40 PM »
Quick Jay, post the pic, Jims getting a refill and his grandkids aint around ;)