Author Topic: Free power!  (Read 77338 times)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
Free power!
« on: December 15, 2013, 07:51:49 PM »
  Here ya go - Steve

Free Power for Concours ZG1000

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Free power!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 03:51:34 AM »
Very nice Steve. Thanks for posting.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 06:18:02 AM »
Great video Steve....

It did not strike me when you and I first spoke about this but it did after watching the video I think the reason I've never noticed any oddity on my bike is that one of the first mods on my bike was to add an extra fuse bank. But at the same time I also added an extra negative block that is heavily fortified both to battery and ground. Thus even though I've got a lot of extra electrical draw on my bike I've never asked the stock wiring harness to handle ANY of this extra load power or ground wise... In fact I've reduced it as my headlight has long been running on it's own power leads straight from the battery.

Voltage loss is very critical to the ignition on these bikes and Kawasaki did us no favor when they sized the wire gauge to no bigger than absolutely needed; add in a few connections that are not 100 % and you've quickly lost some precious voltage.

Another good reason to connect the now unused ground wire solidly to the frame when you install the stick coil conversion harness.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 06:26:28 AM »
Nice!  Great idea.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 09:20:39 AM »
Very nice find, thanks for sharing.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline mlf73

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 03:35:57 PM »
I'm not sure how much is my imagination and how much is actual improvement but this "mod" seems to make a tremendous difference in power on my 02.  I have to admit that I did the quick version and just ran a ground from the accessory ground to the frame so far because I was anxious to  see what happened.  I haven't ridden a lot lately but the bike just seemed so much more responsive to the throttle on my short test ride a few minutes ago.  It's kind of cool here with temps just above 50 but after the bike was warmed up, she just seemed more spirited than ever.  I revved it a few times as I was putting her back in the garage... it just felt like it had more power than normal, revved easier and even sounded more powerful.  I'll have to do a little more test riding later in the week and see if I still have the same impression.  I guess it will be easy right now to compare with and without this mod by just pulling the lead from the accessory ground lead and see if I can tell a difference.  I'll probably go with the same configuration as Steve if I decide to make this permanent.  Thanks once again to Steve and all of the other members here for all that you guys do to make our bikes better!
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 06:34:32 AM »
Sounds like a neat idea, and great video by the way. I am always up for free stuff so this is right up my alley.  :thumbs: :goodpost:

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 05:18:24 AM »
One thing you need to be wary of is a ground loop.
This is where you have different paths to ground.
What can happen is that you get a slight voltage difference on one path from another (due to minutely different resistances) which can lead to oscillations in that loop which can interfere with electronic equipment.
Likely minor side effects are interference with any radio equipment but in the worst case it can interfere with the firing signals for the CDI leading to erratic ignition.
Ground on a motorcycle is the -ve terminal on the battery.

I will also be trying Steve's idea this weekend with a specific wire direct to the battery -ve.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 07:41:53 PM »
TY Steve,
And since it is looking like a pretty wet day here in Central Ohio for Sunday, I now have a project for Hey Baby.
Everyone ride safe out there.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Fuller56

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 08:14:41 PM »
Steve,
Thanks for the video and the idea.  I performed this mod on my '06 the other day.  I have not noticed more power, but I haven't pushed hard enough to tell.  I did notice it is much less buzzy on the interstate.  This bike is one that is quite a bit buzzier than the Y2K that came before it.  Thanks!
John

Offline gregman_1

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 10:11:11 PM »
Nice find Steve!  I'll give it a shot on Sofie and test it out when the snow melts.
2005 Concours-"The Other Woman"
Stock except Canyon Cages and heated grips

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 06:22:07 PM »
WOW,
What a difference in throttle response and acceleration. One of the best mods I have ever made, TY Steve.
Ride safe all,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 04:03:15 PM »
I still haven't gotten around to doing it.
But SOOOONNNN!!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 05:34:33 AM »
I still haven't gotten around to doing it.
But SOOOONNNN!!

Ride safe, Ted

Me too.  I even rewatched the video on Monday so I know what to do without instructions.  It's not fun when its 20-30 degrees in the garage.  As our weather goes, it’s been a pretty cold and tough winter here in NoVA.  I've burned 3 cords of wood and have enough for one more fire (maybe tomorrow night when it is 16d).  Then it is heat pump only time.  We'll get a $350 electric bill out of it.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Matt L

Will Free power mod fix parasitic drag on my '86?
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 08:56:10 AM »
Steve, thanks much for these and your other posts.  It is not my intent to hijack your thread, but I wonder if you could comment whether or not the "free power" mod could address a parasitic drain that my '86 has (w/36K miles).  Since I purchased the bike from the original owner 5 yrs ago, the owner gave me a battery tender (and suggested I use it).  If the bike is off the tender for over two weeks, the battery goes dead (even with a new battery).  I know that this kind of drain could be anywhere on the bike.  The bike is 100% stock with no apparent wiring re-work.  Lastly, the owner told me he installed a refurb J-box from Larry Buck just before I bought the bike.  Thanks!

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 11:12:08 AM »
I can answer that- NO - but do it anyway.
Unhook the battery for two weeks and do not put it on a charger. Take  a voltage reading before and after.
How much did it drop in two weeks with one post disconnected and  no charger?
New batteries can be defective too. What new battery do you have and how new?
Matt- Did you paint your bike yourself. It looks familiar.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Matt L

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 03:04:24 PM »
I can answer that- NO - but do it anyway.
Unhook the battery for two weeks and do not put it on a charger. Take  a voltage reading before and after.
How much did it drop in two weeks with one post disconnected and  no charger?
New batteries can be defective too. What new battery do you have and how new?
Matt- Did you paint your bike yourself. It looks familiar.

Thanks Mike.  I do not know the maker of the current battery.  Although I do know that it is sealed.  The other one that went bad for being off the charger for awhile was not (that battery was only two years old).  Each experienced the same drain. 

Regarding the paint, I painted it myself.  I was told it looks a lot like another member; I think his name his Snarf.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 06:58:08 AM »
Matt, I think there is a way to search for the culprit that is draining the battery.

Electrical guru's please correct me if I am wrong!!

"key off"
Remove the ground wire to the battery.
Place an inexpensive (harbor freight type) volt meter between the negative lead and the battery negative.
You should see 12 volts on the meter.
Disconnect the clock, (that will remove all power that is supposed to be on).
You should see 0 volts.
If you see volts,,,
   start pulling fuses and unplugging wires. ("1" at a time)
Eventually you will see the voltage drop to 0.
When that happens, you will know approx. where the drain is located.
Keep troubleshooting from there and you should find the drain.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 12:32:17 PM »
Matt, I think there is a way to search for the culprit that is draining the battery.

Electrical guru's please correct me if I am wrong!!

"key off"
Remove the ground wire to the battery.
Place an inexpensive (harbor freight type) volt meter between the negative lead and the battery negative.
You should see 12 volts on the meter.
Disconnect the clock, (that will remove all power that is supposed to be on).
You should see 0 volts.
If you see volts,,,
   start pulling fuses and unplugging wires. ("1" at a time)
Eventually you will see the voltage drop to 0.
When that happens, you will know approx. where the drain is located.
Keep troubleshooting from there and you should find the drain.

Ride safe, Ted

Correct procedure, except you are looking for current draw (amps), instead of volts.  Switch the meter to "ammeter" function and you'll be good.  Note:  Always connect ammeter in series.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Matt L

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 11:15:39 PM »
Copy all guys.  Thanks!