Author Topic: Free power!  (Read 77332 times)

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Re: Free power!
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2015, 07:49:16 PM »
Hello Steve,

The bike has a digital voltmeter (and thermometer)
http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/volthermometer.htm
and the voltage reads around 14.2 at all engine speeds.

Maybe Canadian bikes are different.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
Hello Steve,

The bike has a digital voltmeter (and thermometer)
http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/volthermometer.htm
and the voltage reads around 14.2 at all engine speeds.

Maybe Canadian bikes are different.

George, your bike has excellent ground paths and nothing to be gained from the extra wire except to add as a redundant path in the even the current path is compromised. Your results are certainly dis-similar to almost all the rest of the connies out there. I know with that efficiency in the electrical system your bike starts, idles and rev's better than most out there; This may account for times when you read of guys having this or that issue, and you think to yourself "mine isn't like that"... you're lucky, because most guys don't know how well a c-10 can run till they really iron out these little gremlins that most c-10s have. steve

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2015, 05:18:19 AM »
glad someone reads my stuff...
thank you..
 8)

No, THANK YOU!  I have a PDF of it and read it just before I do each time just as a reminder.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline bob h

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2015, 10:19:06 AM »
George, my measurements are a close match yours.  This is on a 1988 stock C10 in decent condition with a good battery.

Voltage drop between igniter black/yellow wire and battery negative is about .3 - .4 volts while idling at 1100 rpm.  I also tried connecting a 14 gauge wire between the igniter ground direct and the battery negative, and found no effect, other than eliminating most of the .3 - .4V drop at the igniter ground terminal.

Battery is at about 14.4V at any rpm above about 1200, (45 deg F) measured with both a digital and an analog multi-meter.

Offline Dricardo1

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2016, 05:02:15 PM »
  George, your bike has excellent ground paths and nothing to be gained from the extra wire except to add as a redundant path in the even the current path is compromised. Your results are certainly dis-similar to almost all the rest of the connies out there. I know with that efficiency in the electrical system your bike starts, idles and rev's better than most out there; This may account for times when you read of guys having this or that issue, and you think to yourself "mine isn't like that"... you're lucky, because most guys don't know how well a c-10 can run till they really iron out these little gremlins that most c-10s have. steve

Steve,
Just completed your "Free Power" mod, and WOW!  Thanks for sharing.  Embarrassed to say I cut the yellow w/ black tracer at first, instead of the opposite. She runs very nicely, now :D

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2016, 07:51:18 AM »
"most guys don't know how well a c-10 can run till they really iron out these little gremlins that most c-10s have". steve

I do, I do !!! 
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude