Author Topic: Sargent Low install  (Read 2203 times)

Offline overthehill

Sargent Low install
« on: January 10, 2018, 05:43:45 PM »
I am an idiot, and I know it, but usually I can put a seat on.  I bought a used 2010 with the two piece Corbin seat.  I acquired a Sargent low seat.  The Corbin came off OK, but the Sargent low doesn't seem to fit.  The hooks for the bar make the seating of the post in the crossbar seem impossible.  Looking for direction before using brute force.  thanks
1987 Connie gone
2003 Goldwing (yikes, no lean angle) gone
1999 Connie gone
2008 Connie

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Sargent Low install
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 05:53:13 PM »
Not trying to be Captain Obvious but you did remove the Corbin Bracket?

Offline overthehill

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 07:26:40 PM »
Well Captain, I dont know anything about the Corbin bracket.  Tried to find some info on the web, but wound up with zero.  I dont have anything here to compare to an the pictures on Bike Bandit dont show much.  It didn't seem to fit.  There were no instructions on the Sargent website and something seem wrong, so I reached out.  And what does the Corbin bracket look like?
1987 Connie gone
1999 Connie gone
2008 Connie

Offline overthehill

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 07:29:34 PM »
And thank you for the reply.  It is usually something simple, I have found.  It is tough being simple looking for simple answers.  Ha! Thanks.
1987 Connie gone
1999 Connie gone
2008 Connie

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 09:31:54 PM »
And thank you for the reply.  It is usually something simple, I have found.  It is tough being simple looking for simple answers.  Ha! Thanks.

Does that mean you solved the problem?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 04:30:21 AM »
The bracket in the bottom of this pic screws to the frame to attach the rear of the front seat.

Offline overthehill

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 06:56:46 AM »
gPink, you are the master.  Is there an OEM piece that replaces it, or does it just need to be gone?
1987 Connie gone
1999 Connie gone
2008 Connie

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 07:26:39 AM »
IIRC just remove it. The Sargent should fit as the stock one. Slip fit in the front and latch in the back. May have to push down hard in the middle of the seat as you install.

Offline overthehill

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 07:31:57 AM »
Done and done!  Thank you very much for your help!!
1987 Connie gone
1999 Connie gone
2008 Connie

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 03:08:33 PM »
May have to push down hard in the middle of the seat as you install.

That is an understatement on mine.  It is a real b***h to get my Sargent low on or off the bike for some reason.  Have never been able to figure out why.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline overthehill

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 07:06:35 AM »
Maxtog, you were my inspiration for pursuing the Sargent low.  Do you have a comfort report for passengers?  My SO was not very happy with the Corbin.  An when Mama isn't happy..., she won't go with me.
1987 Connie gone
1999 Connie gone
2008 Connie

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 08:05:26 AM »
Maxtog, you were my inspiration for pursuing the Sargent low.  Do you have a comfort report for passengers?  My SO was not very happy with the Corbin.  An when Mama isn't happy..., she won't go with me.

My main purpose in choosing the Sargent Low had nothing to do with aesthetics or comfort.  Only that it was the lowest possible seat, which is what I required.... and was [is] far more important than any other factor.

The simple truth is that to make a seat low, it means less padding.  And the seat can't be made much narrower, either.  So, to a certain extent, a low seat is necessarily going to be less comfortable than one that is not a low.  Of course there are a lot of other factors, I am just setting a generalization that seems to hold true.

In my case, I can barely manage the C14's height, even with lowering links, a low seat, and raised boots.  It would be not only extremely difficult to carry a passenger, it would be very dangerous.  As such, I never have, and never will.  The passenger section of my seat is a Sargent Pod, a wonderful storage option.  So I can't comment about comfort for a passenger on this seat.  In fact, I can't even compare comfort for the driver compared to the STOCK seat, since I have never used it, because I can't.

I can say that I am not very comfortable- it is a little too hard and too wide for me (but as I said earlier, it can't be made any narrower- the width of the bike is a hard stop, and it can't be made much softer due to thickness).  But like with most things, people's experiences will vary widely.  I CAN say the seat has held up wonderfully, looks good, and functions well, although it is very difficult to attach/detach for some reason (and again, some people have the same problem, and others don't).

Offline PH14

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 10:07:55 AM »
My main purpose in choosing the Sargent Low had nothing to do with aesthetics or comfort.  Only that it was the lowest possible seat, which is what I required.... and was [is] far more important than any other factor.

The simple truth is that to make a seat low, it means less padding.  And the seat can't be made much narrower, either.  So, to a certain extent, a low seat is necessarily going to be less comfortable than one that is not a low.  Of course there are a lot of other factors, I am just setting a generalization that seems to hold true.

In my case, I can barely manage the C14's height, even with lowering links, a low seat, and raised boots.  It would be not only extremely difficult to carry a passenger, it would be very dangerous.  As such, I never have, and never will.  The passenger section of my seat is a Sargent Pod, a wonderful storage option.  So I can't comment about comfort for a passenger on this seat.  In fact, I can't even compare comfort for the driver compared to the STOCK seat, since I have never used it, because I can't.

I can say that I am not very comfortable- it is a little too hard and too wide for me (but as I said earlier, it can't be made any narrower- the width of the bike is a hard stop, and it can't be made much softer due to thickness).  But like with most things, people's experiences will vary widely.  I CAN say the seat has held up wonderfully, looks good, and functions well, although it is very difficult to attach/detach for some reason (and again, some people have the same problem, and others don't).

I have often wondered about the foam in the Sargent lo seat. I had the standard seat, and though I liked it overall, it was a bit soft for me. I had a Sargent previously on my RC51, and I loved it. It seemed to be much more firm, since of course there is very little room for passing on that seat. I was very comfortable on it though.