Author Topic: Harley Davidson ABS recall....Problem sound familiar?  (Read 1030 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Harley Davidson ABS recall....Problem sound familiar?
« on: February 10, 2018, 06:52:15 AM »
https://www.consumerreports.org/recalls/harley-davidson-motorcycle-recall-brakes-abs/

Harley-Davidson Recalls Motorcycles for Brake Concerns
Action underscores the importance of properly maintaining brake systems
By Jeff S. Bartlett
February 08, 2018
Harley-Davidson is recalling several model years of its motorcycles over potential braking problems.

The company said the affected bikes are the 2008-2011 Touring, CVO Touring, and VRSC models equipped with antilock brake systems (ABS). The concern is that if owners did not properly maintain these systems, a braking issue may develop.

The rate of fatal crashes is 31 percent lower in a motorcycle with antilock brakes than in the same models without ABS, according to research by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. With ABS, riders can stop without fear of wheels locking up, which can result in a dangerous skid, and stopping distances also improve on wet and dry surfaces.

But if the systems are not maintained, they may not work properly when needed. Harley-Davidson is concerned that owners may not understand the importance of flushing the DOT 4 brake fluid at least every two years to prevent deposits from forming on brake components.

The recall amounts to a free brake-fluid flush and replacement. More than that, it is an important reminder to all riders (many of whom perform their own maintenance) to confer with the owner’s manual, particularly regarding systems that may be new to them, such as ABS.

Offline jamiemac

Re: Harley Davidson ABS recall....Problem sound familiar?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 08:26:24 PM »
I'll be danged. I wonder if they use a Nissin unit, like the Connie's?
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 07:39:13 AM »
I'm sure the name has been published somewhere but I haven't been able to find it yet.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 08:47:53 AM »
Newer harleys use Brembo brake components.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!