Author Topic: Civil Replies  (Read 1587 times)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Civil Replies
« on: February 15, 2018, 01:49:11 AM »
maybe its just me but I get paranoid seeing this sort of post after just 3 replies all of which appear civil

NB started new thread in order to be "civil" and not go off topic

This is a hot button subject. I must remind everyone to be civil in you replies, and think twice before you hit the "post" button.

Rick

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=23162.msg288411#msg288411
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
Re: Civil Replies
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 01:58:25 AM »
maybe its just me but I get paranoid seeing this sort of post after just 3 replies all of which appear civil

And they were civil! For now ;) You have to fully understand USA politics and USA emotions.

Best example I can cite is the Autobahn. Many in USA can NOT understand why anybody would want to drive 180MPH on the Autobahn. Much less the notion to keep right unless passing. Unless in GB... or AU ;)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 02:03:25 AM »
you cant do 180mph on all sections of the Autobahn only on specific sections and providing it's not raining (when a 70mph limit is enforced)

You also keep right when passing in India,Japan, NZ ,Cyprus  & most of the Caribbean (plus a few others :p)

And they were civil! For now ;) You have to fully understand USA politics and USA emotions.

Best example I can cite is the Autobahn. Many in USA can NOT understand why anybody would want to drive 180MPH on the Autobahn. Much less the notion to keep right unless passing. Unless in GB... or AU ;)

Rick
--

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 02:13:04 AM »
you cant do 180mph on all sections of the Autobahn only on specific sections and providing it's not raining (when a 70mph limit is enforced)

You also keep right when passing in India,Japan, NZ ,Cyprus  & most of the Caribbean (plus a few others :p)

Same to you buddy ;)

I've been to EU, driven the Autobahn many times. You're basically right, a (any) driver has to look for the sign "no restrictions". For those that haven't driven the Autobahn, the sign "no restrictions" basically means no speed limit. And you may often get passed by a Smart Car in the left lane, followed by a BMW/VW/Mercedes doing in excess if 150MPH. Until the "no restrictions" sign ends, when EVERYONE slows down to posted speeds.

Rick

PS: Drove from IT/CH border to ?? in the rain a few years back, don't recall any speed restrictions. Granted, I was following a resident of SE Germany, who can categorically be considered nuts.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 02:18:09 AM »
Nah, if you want nutters then try the scooterists in places Like Monaco or Rome ;)

Same to you buddy ;)

I've been to EU, driven the Autobahn many times. You're basically right, a (any) driver has to look for the sign "no restrictions". For those that haven't driven the Autobahn, the sign "no restrictions" basically means no speed limit. And you may often get passed by a Smart Car in the left lane, followed by a BMW/VW/Mercedes doing in excess if 150MPH. Until the "no restrictions" sign ends, when EVERYONE slows down to posted speeds.

Rick

PS: Drove from IT/CH border to ?? in the rain a few years back, don't recall any speed restrictions. Granted, I was following a resident of SE Germany, who can categorically be considered nuts.
--

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 02:23:22 AM »
Nah, if you want nutters then try the scooterists in places Like Monaco or Rome ;)

LOL!

Had a friend tell me that if (when) you hear a car horn on a narrow/small mountain road in Spain or Portugal, pull the fork over as there's a big honking Lorry heading your way.

Have a story about Rome too. Involves a traffic light and a million scooters appearing out of nowhere when the light turns green ;) Am sure you've been there :)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 06:30:15 AM »
As Rick said in his original post, this is a 'hot button' issue in the US. Same thing as the abortion issue, the immigrant issue and a few others: people have long ago made up their minds, either pro or con, and simply cannot in any discuss said issues; they simply go to the center of the proverbial ring and start swinging.

I started that thread and was very hesitant to post it in the first place for this exact reason. But I had a little hope that this group could try and claw onto a bit of civility (which everyone has, understanding some in the conversation are extremely polarized, myself included, toward one side or the other) and if all went south, one of the swift- acting moderators would either throw it into the arena (where I would no longer see it) or just lock the thread and be done with it.

Forums such as this one where a lot of us <sorta'> know each other and have a good sense of who and what each person is are great places to try and discuss such things. If it is possible to do so at all, this is a good place to do it. But it has not been 24 hours since I started that other thread so there is plenty of time and room for it to turn nasty yet; it is totally under our control how it proceeds.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com