Author Topic: NALMBHGCLMAETGB  (Read 7536 times)

Offline sanmo

• Arena
NALMBHGCLMAETGB
« on: April 30, 2018, 05:22:45 PM »
2008 Silverdammit C14

Online turbojoe78

• Arena
Re: NALMBHGCLMAETGB
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 08:01:44 AM »
I'm guessing that some of the inmates will not find this amusing.   

https://chicago.suntimes.com/columnists/take-it-from-mike-royko-machineguns-dont-kill/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

:popcorn:

I guess now I'm not just a deplorable, I'm must also be an inmate ... I don't find it amusing.   ::)
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 11:33:30 AM »
I guess now I'm not just a deplorable, I'm must also be an inmate ... I don't find it amusing.   ::)

The insulting lead in to this is why I declined to follow sanmo's link. He's acting like a troll now. Sorry sanmo but you should venture into the Arena and we can have an honest discussion.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 02:32:25 PM by gPink »

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 01:37:06 PM »
"They say it is their constitutional right to bear arms. (Actually, it isn’t. They always leave off the part that says the right to bear arms is so this country will have a strong “militia”). But if somebody can claim it is his constitutional right to keep a .38 in his dresser drawer, I don’t see why we can’t buy machineguns. After all, anything a pistol can do, a machinegun can do better."

I actually agree with all of this except the "Actually, it isn't" part. All you have to do is read a little of what the authors of the constitution have to say about what a militia is to understand why they made this "the right of the people". That exact phrase is also used in the 1st and 4th amendments. So yes it is my constitutional right to have a .38 or a Block 21 and better still a full auto AR. Making them illegal is certainly an infringement.

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 05:40:48 PM »

Joe, if it's any consolation we are all inmates in this loony bin. Cannot comment on your deplorability.  :)
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 05:48:15 PM »
"They say it is their constitutional right to bear arms. (Actually, it isn’t. They always leave off the part that says the right to bear arms is so this country will have a strong “militia”). But if somebody can claim it is his constitutional right to keep a .38 in his dresser drawer, I don’t see why we can’t buy machineguns. After all, anything a pistol can do, a machinegun can do better."

I actually agree with all of this except the "Actually, it isn't" part. All you have to do is read a little of what the authors of the constitution have to say about what a militia is to understand why they made this "the right of the people". That exact phrase is also used in the 1st and 4th amendments. So yes it is my constitutional right to have a .38 or a Block 21 and better still a full auto AR. Making them illegal is certainly an infringement.

That Royko article was written more than 20 years ago. If I'm not mistaken it was only after the 2008 Heller decision with Justice Scalia at the helm did the Supremes rule that the militia aspect was not relevant and that all citizens had the right to bear arms.
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 06:19:40 PM »
No, that's what the authors of the CotUS determined when they wrote the 2nd.

That Royko article was written more than 20 years ago. If I'm not mistaken it was only after the 2008 Heller decision with Justice Scalia at the helm did the Supremes rule that the militia aspect was not relevant and that all citizens had the right to bear arms.

Online turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 06:21:05 AM »
Joe, if it's any consolation we are all inmates in this loony bin. Cannot comment on your deplorability.  :)

If being pro 2nd amendment, pro constitution and pro America makes me a deplorable, (in at least Hillary's eyes) then I can assure you,

I am deplorable!   8)
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 07:20:11 AM »
Fact of the matter is, the constitution does not grant us any rights. The right to speak my mind, the right to privacy, the right to defend myself with arms, among others, are inalienable rights and the Bill of Rights is a prohibition to the government not to violate those rights. Which is why the often overlooked 9th amendment may in fact be the most important one IMO.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 09:22:48 AM »
We are the militia. Not the army. The 2nd is meant  for the people to be armed in defense of a tyrannical government. Read what the Framers meant when they write the BoR.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 01:03:12 PM »
Which is why the often overlooked 9th amendment may in fact be the most important one IMO.

:goodpost: :thumbs:

Offline Rob9876

• Beginner Motorcycling
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 02:52:12 PM »
You are correct that the Heller case was the first time that the U.S. Supreme Court specifically addressed that issue, but it was always a canard: the ten Amendments in the Bill of Rights are all about protecting the individual rights of the people, the main clause of the 2nd Amendment says the "right of the people . . . shall not be infringed" and nowhere else in the Bill of Rights or Constitution do we interpret "the people" to mean "state militia or national guard".   For full analysis, the Heller opinion is a better resource than me (I'm past the point of getting pulled into long internet debates).
2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Kawasaki Versys ABS, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (sold)
Beginner Motorcycling

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 03:31:49 PM »
Fact of the matter is, the constitution does not grant us any rights. The right to speak my mind, the right to privacy, the right to defend myself with arms, among others, are inalienable rights and the Bill of Rights is a prohibition to the government not to violate those rights. Which is why the often overlooked 9th amendment may in fact be the most important one IMO.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all in favor of more rights than fewer rights. But these inalienable rights that you claim, are absolute rights or conditional rights?
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 03:35:33 PM »
We are the militia. Not the army.

Agreed, but what makes us a well-regulated militia?

Read what the Framers meant when they write the BoR.

I'd really like to read the Framer's explanation of the Bill of Rights. All I can find is various interpretations and opinions of "experts" and the courts.
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 03:42:32 PM »
.....(I'm past the point of getting pulled into long internet debates).

This thread was started as an appreciation of Royko's timeless sardonic humor, not to revive the quarantined "gun control" thread. At least we have broadened the discussion to Constitutional matters, with or without enthusiastic participation in long internet debates.
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 03:46:01 PM »
You are correct that the Heller case was the first time that the U.S. Supreme Court specifically addressed that issue, but it was always a canard: the ten Amendments in the Bill of Rights are all about protecting the individual rights of the people, the main clause of the 2nd Amendment says the "right of the people . . . shall not be infringed" and nowhere else in the Bill of Rights or Constitution do we interpret "the people" to mean "state militia or national guard".

100% correct.  The rights were always there, and they were clearly for "the people."  The Supreme Court just never decided to hear and rule on any meaningful argument about the 2nd until Heller.  We didn't suddenly just gain an individual right to arms in 2008, we technically gained all our rights BEFORE the Constitution was born- actually at the Declaration of Independence in 1776.  But the Constitution and Bill of Rights made it very clear, as an instrument to enumerate what the government must, but mostly cannot do.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 03:48:21 PM »
Agreed, but what makes us a well-regulated militia?

It doesn't matter.  The force and operational statement of the 2nd couldn't be more clear and direct:

the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 03:50:13 PM »
This thread was started as an appreciation of Royko's timeless sardonic humor, not to revive the quarantined "gun control" thread.

The thread was only quarantined when the conversation went to personal instead of topical...

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 03:59:47 PM »
Don't get me wrong. I'm all in favor of more rights than fewer rights. But these inalienable rights that you claim, are absolute rights or conditional rights?

Conditional. And the condition is that you can only exercise them without violating someone else's rights.

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 04:01:22 PM »
It doesn't matter.  The force and operational statement of the 2nd couldn't be more clear and direct:

the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

That is a very selective acceptance of the parts of 2A that are convenient to you. What if the right to bear arms is given only for the purpose of forming well regulated militias for the security of the state?
2008 Silverdammit C14