Author Topic: USB Socket  (Read 1303 times)

Offline chap

USB Socket
« on: May 14, 2018, 09:02:30 AM »
I have been thinking about having a USB Port on my bike. I was trying to decide where to put it. The obvious place was in the blank on the left side of the dash, but there is a bracket behind it and I didn't want to cut through it. I finally decided on just left of there. Finally installed it yesterday, and think it is OK there. Learnt a lot about these ports. There are some out there that restrict the current and wont run your GPS and other higher current devices. This one is a 4.2A. Hopefully enough to run 2 devices.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: USB Socket
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 01:38:09 PM »
Nice job; easy to use, and mostly out of the weather (behind the windshield).

I added the identical thing but put it under the saddle on the left side of he bike. I have a pair of USB extensions that I use to tap into the outlet and then run USB power to wherever it is needed, usually in a pocket to charge a cell phone. The reason I went with two was so that both my wife and I could use a USB power port at the same time. Comes in really handy on longer trips, especially because my wife uses her iPhone for music and so can often use charging before the trip is over.

Brian

I have been thinking about having a USB Port on my bike. I was trying to decide where to put it. The obvious place was in the blank on the left side of the dash, but there is a bracket behind it and I didn't want to cut through it. I finally decided on just left of there. Finally installed it yesterday, and think it is OK there. Learnt a lot about these ports. There are some out there that restrict the current and wont run your GPS and other higher current devices. This one is a 4.2A. Hopefully enough to run 2 devices.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: USB Socket
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 03:13:36 PM »
I just put a flush mount USB adapter in the lighter port on the right.  Works perfectly... love it.  Dual 2.4 amp ports, looks factory.  Stays put.  Only thing is the factory flap doesn't seal over it, but I keep the bike covered.

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Charger-Output-iPhone-Samsung/dp/B00M6QODH2
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc