Author Topic: Clutch noise  (Read 1633 times)

Offline chap

Clutch noise
« on: August 03, 2018, 07:06:36 PM »
I am away from home on vacation. I have noticed sometimes my clutch makes a strange noise sometimes when starting off. Usually up a hill. It engages fine and seems to be no prob apart from that. Is this some early signs of the clutch failing.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline PH14

Re: Clutch noise
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 09:41:07 AM »
What kind of noise?

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 12:20:45 PM »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 02:38:36 PM »
I am away from home on vacation. I have noticed sometimes my clutch makes a strange noise sometimes when starting off. Usually up a hill. It engages fine and seems to be no prob apart from that. Is this some early signs of the clutch failing.

Mine does, and always has, made a 'groaning' sound, when a really hard launch/ takeoff is done...
just tells me to not do that.. I don't think it's a failure sign, as it never slips, just a 'audible' warning.... :rotflmao: :cool:

change your oil, and flush the clutch hydraulics, with fresh new fluid...
that seems to make it less likely for a long time...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 03:24:10 PM »
Mine's done it several times over the years.  I consider it a 'groaning' noise.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 07:33:31 PM »
Sounds like you all need to loose some weight if you're making the old girl groan.  8)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 08:41:57 PM »
Sounds like you all need to loose some weight if you're making the old girl groan.  8)

I lost 21 pounds over the last 3 months, so now I am 137.  Not sure I have never heard it "groan".  *I* tend to groan a lot, however.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline chap

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 09:19:13 PM »
Thanks everone for your responses. Put 450km on today and didn't do it once, with lots of hills. It had new oil just before i left home. I will flush the clutch fluid when i get home. Just could hear the clutch plates slipping until clutch was fully engaged. Hadn't heard that before. Prob the wt of all the luggage etc.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)