Author Topic: DIY TPMS Programmer  (Read 22936 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: DIY TPMS Programmer
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2015, 05:04:56 AM »
Getting a ruling on this.   I'll let ya'll know in a day or so how we are going to proceed.  Thread is unlocked.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 11:13:32 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RedRambler

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2015, 04:29:50 PM »
Red, is that copyright encryption you're running into?

It's basically just a passcode.  You have to know the correct passcode to enable functions that modify settings on the bike, like changing a TPMS ID number.  Basically the bike sends you a 3 byte seed, and you have to respond with an 8 byte passcode that corresponds to that seed.  If you respond correctly, you can then proceed to program the sensor.  If you don't provide a correct passcode, the bike will reject your programming command.

After doing some reading on the internet, its seems that other manufacturers have similar security built in.  So its not unique to Kawasaki.

RR

Offline RedRambler

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2015, 04:42:31 PM »
According to the owner's manual, there is a certain low voltage threshold where the linked brakes are disabled leaving the ABS still active in an effort to maintain safety and extend battery life. If you put that on your future research list, many here would appreciate it. That is to say if there where a way to electronically/or diagnostically turn off the linking of the brakes, well that would be interesting to many. Of course I'm assuming that the ECU sends that signal to the ABS ECU over the CAN bus?..
...and that what ever that signal is, could be faked?

We would have to figure out how to re-create that condition and then record the messages that are passed.  If the FI-ECU is commanding the ABS-ECU to turn off the hydraulic pump to save battery, leaving only the ABS function active, then that command could certainly be spoofed, but I would be surprised if it didn't also generate other alert messages that are displayed on the meter unit (along with a big red light).  Re-creating the condition would require disabling the alternator and running the battery down, or using a resistive network to drop the voltage entering the ABS controller.  Not sure I'm willing to try that on my bike at this point...

RR

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2015, 05:32:33 PM »
It's basically just a passcode. [...]After doing some reading on the internet, its seems that other manufacturers have similar security built in.  So its not unique to Kawasaki.

Indeed not.  Manufacturers are probably *required* to provide at least some security to prevent people from tampering with the ECU in ways that will make its use illegal (pretty much anything that would affect emissions, noise, or fuel efficiency).

The reason Jim had to analyze it, is that it is against the policy of the Forums to engage in copyright infringement.  This case isn't quite so clear....  talking about it is one thing, but publicly posting about how to actually circumvent the protections might set up the operators of the Forums in some type of liability situation.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2015, 06:14:43 PM »
It seems there is a conflict between the Magnuson-Moss Act and the DMCA. John Deere opened Pandora's box by telling people they didn't really own their tractors due to proprietary (word of the day) software.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2015, 06:24:56 PM »
It seems there is a conflict between the Magnuson-Moss Act and the DMCA. John Deere opened Pandora's box by telling people they didn't really own their tractors due to proprietary (word of the day) software.

The DMCA is an abomination.  Of course, so are the insanely over-extended copyright laws and stupidly obtuse software patent laws.  It is obvious that companies would rather spend all their money lobbying Congress and fighting consumers than creating new ideas or content.  Don't get me started!!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2015, 06:45:37 PM »
At this point guys, let's just get back to the thread's original purpose.  If you want to delve into the perceived legalize of the situation, start a thread in Open, but I think we have one already somewhere.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sportytoes

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2017, 05:36:29 AM »
Hi Red,
I was wondering if you might be able to help me out. I have a sensor that is missing the ID code (it is not on the label). I'd like to send it to you and have you read it and then send it back to me. Happy to pay you for this service. The catch is that I don't know that the sensor I have is any good. The device appears to be brand new.
Crashed before, will crash again. Hopefully in a soft spot at a trackday.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2017, 06:48:42 PM »
If it's the early non-potted type there should be an ID label inside it.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2017, 09:44:56 PM »
Very interesting thread but it appears once it went down the "ooh someone's being very naughty and we're worried about legal schizzle" path that RedRambler has "vanished"

His last post oN this thread was Dec 01 2015 and he hasn't posted on the forum at all since 20 Dec 2015

Pity after reading back on where he was going and what he was looking to achieve :(
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline sportytoes

« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2017, 09:00:36 PM »
If it's the early non-potted type there should be an ID label inside it.
Thanks, ihave the newer potted style. Man, we need a hero that can pull the id tag from the CAN bus. These things are cheap on ebay but none have the id tag. How about a kickstarter campaign to track down redrambler?!
Crashed before, will crash again. Hopefully in a soft spot at a trackday.

Offline jdaugh

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2023, 06:18:37 PM »
Zarticus, where in FL are you? I'm looking for someone near/between Jax and Daytona with a KDS. Actually in the middle of those but also inland a bit: Welaka. I need to get a passive chip registered as a backup for the active transponder for my 2010 c14. Right now I have only the active transponder. Its passive chip was lost and I got one from another fob. Apparently, registering the passive chip doesn't require any original ID code or anything like the active transponder does.

Maybe the dealer will do this for a reasonable price. I'll check Monday. But it would be great if I could save miles and/or dollars and give the dollars to someone who got a KDS instead.

Offline deepseamdv

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2023, 06:43:10 AM »
Steve Sefsick of Shoodaben Engineering has the KDS3 system. You can reach him on his website. https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/concours-14-ecu-flash

BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1, Honda CB-650, 09C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph