Author Topic: freakin allergies - any recommendations?  (Read 7583 times)

Offline mtn.connie

Re: freakin allergies - any recommendations?
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 10:15:53 AM »
I do not do any kind of "medication" per se. Everything holistic for me. I know this sounds crazy, but I swear by it. Use a netti pot every morning and then take 1 tbsp. twice a day of locally produced honey. It will allow your body to create it`s own defense against the local allergens.
Worst case scenario, you get to enjoy some sweet honey and I bet it works for you!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 11:37:19 AM »
I do not do any kind of "medication" per se. Everything holistic for me. I know this sounds crazy, but I swear by it. Use a netti pot every morning and then take 1 tbsp. twice a day of locally produced honey. It will allow your body to create it`s own defense against the local allergens.
Worst case scenario, you get to enjoy some sweet honey and I bet it works for you!

+1 on the local honey! There's a guy who works in my department and he keeps bees. He keeps me supplied with local honey. I just got a big ole jar from him last week of clover honey, it's very dark and VERY delicious! I don't know if it helps my allergies but it sure goes well with peanut butter toast!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Maille Man

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 12:44:16 PM »
+1 on the local honey! There's a guy who works in my department and he keeps bees. He keeps me supplied with local honey. I just got a big ole jar from him last week of clover honey, it's very dark and VERY delicious! I don't know if it helps my allergies but it sure goes well with peanut butter toast!

+2 on the local honey.  Unprocessed, raw honey's the best, or even the honey comb (chew it like gum for about 10 minutes).  Start out with small doses, 1/4 teaspoon per day for about a week before upping the dosage - raw honey can have trace amounts of venom and bee parts floating around in it that can cause an alergy, so if your throat gets irritated or starts to burn - stop.  Also works on cuts and burns.

But, for me, it tastes best when fermented into mead. Here's 60lbs (5 gallon bucket) of blueberry honey that'll, one day, get turned into 15 gallons of mead.

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 02:37:26 PM »
Hey...that's the brand of honey that we buy. Best tupelo honey I've found so far.
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline Maille Man

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 03:41:55 PM »
When I lived in Mullica Hill ('bout 6 years ago), they were just a couple miles down the road.  Still visit them when I'm up in Jersey visiting my sister and I can find the time.  I agree, their tupelo is good.  But, I LOVE their blueberry honey, very light tasting, and the smell is awsome.  Buckwheat is a close second. I like how 'heavy' it is.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 03:48:33 PM »
MMMMMmmmm mead :chugbeer:

My sister had allergies something horrible.  She moved to Az and says they are all but gone.  Maybe you could move in next to her ???
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 04:04:39 PM »
MMMMMmmmm mead :chugbeer:

My sister had allergies something horrible.  She moved to Az and says they are all but gone.  Maybe you could move in next to her ???

Got any pics of her...  ;)

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 04:45:46 PM »
 +1 on the Zyrtec..   I'll take mine about 1/2 hr. before retiring for the nite, that way it allows me to get a restful sleep & I don't notice any of the drowsy effect that I'd get from Sudafed/Actifed stuff.....

'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 04:49:09 PM »

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 06:17:03 PM »

Got any pics of her...  ;)
Meh shes old married and bitchy. Very pretty in a non-creepy way.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2011, 06:26:54 PM »
shes old married and bitchy.

I already have a neighbor like that...  ;D

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2011, 08:07:40 PM »

I already have a neighbor like that...  ;D

I had a wife like............nevermind!

Offline tidewatergirl

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2011, 09:31:03 PM »
I suffer from asthma and I use a mask when I can, take Zytec and use inhalers...but the best is to take a cold pack from the freezer in a thin towel and lay it on your chest and face. The viens constrict and dont create more gunk in the head and chest. A shot or two of scotch doesn't hurt either.  :P
On the blue shore of silence