Author Topic: finally did it, car tire on a C14  (Read 43852 times)

Offline roland

finally did it, car tire on a C14
« on: December 30, 2011, 08:39:55 AM »
Ok let the flaming begin... I went to darkside and put a car tire on the 09 Concours!
Found a brand new 205/40/17 Nexen tire for $25.00, tire is a little shorter than the
stock tire but fits fine. I was worried about hitting the drive shaft cover on the left
side but no problems.... Dont get me wrong, it was a bitch to get on the rim. the 40 profile
sidewall was really stiff but after some time we got it mounted...
Did a 175 mi. loop Wednesday with a friend and the more I rode the better I liked :)
Rpm came up about 300 spedo is 3mph fast (65is actually 62),
but that is fine I just get into od sooner and the
bike really pulls stronger than before... Gearing change from the shorter tire...Hopfully I can
get pictures to load and you can see the install.
Al In New Bern.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 04:31:01 AM by VirginiaJim »

Offline DonB

• Let's Ride
Re: finally did it
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 08:44:16 AM »
I see many posts on many boards about car tires (darkside) I have never asked but guess it is time

WHY
smoother ride. better traction. cheaper
2012 Candy Arabian Red C14 but it's not Red to me
2012 Blue ABS Wing
2011 White Vstrom                               = o&o>

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 08:48:29 AM »
When I see a car tire on a MotoGP bike I'll try one.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 08:56:20 AM »
I see many posts on many boards about car tires (darkside) I have never asked but guess it is time

WHY

Better traction, in a straight line on the drag strip.  Leaned?  No.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 09:02:22 AM »
 :o   :-X   :'(
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 09:03:10 AM »
I have never asked but guess it is time,
WHY

From all I've read, and with many friends who have done their homework and put them on GoldWings, Harleys, FJR's, Vulcans, etc. it comes down to one overriding reason - MILEAGE.

If fitment is reasonable, if size and radius are good fits, and IF the person can come to grips with the the different ride and handling characteristics, the payoff in cheap initial tire cost and quadruple mileage make it an easy decision for some.
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline DonB

• Let's Ride
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 09:13:52 AM »
From all I've read, and with many friends who have done their homework and put them on GoldWings, Harleys, FJR's, Vulcans, etc. it comes down to one overriding reason - MILEAGE.

If fitment is reasonable, if size and radius are good fits, and IF the person can come to grips with the the different ride and handling characteristics, the payoff in cheap initial tire cost and quadruple mileage make it an easy decision for some.

thanks for the info. I have seen many people use them but have never checked to see why?

I guess when I can not come to grips with the price of tires I will have to stop riding. I got my new C14 a couple months ago and have spent 3k worth of stuff for it so I guess right now the tires are still cheap.

thanks again for the info
2012 Candy Arabian Red C14 but it's not Red to me
2012 Blue ABS Wing
2011 White Vstrom                               = o&o>

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 09:27:26 AM »
 :o

Good thing Fred isn't on this forum anymore...  ;)

Offline roland

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 09:28:07 AM »
I got a great deal on this tire of $25, full price is $96. The main reason I did this is economics... Tired of buying tires every 4500mi. All I do is commute to and from work and trips with my Wife and friends... I did lots of research and no one on any of the connie forums has done this on the c14. Well I will be the "crash test dummy" hopfully without the crash. So far so good. I will keep you posted.  ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 09:30:51 AM »

:rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline roland

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 09:31:14 AM »
Fred is a good guy, just a little openionated at times, This forum is way cooler thank Godness.

Offline TRBN

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 09:46:10 AM »
I got a great deal on this tire of $25, full price is $96. The main reason I did this is economics... Tired of buying tires every 4500mi. All I do is commute to and from work and trips with my Wife and friends... I did lots of research and no one on any of the connie forums has done this on the c14. Well I will be the "crash test dummy" hopfully without the crash. So far so good. I will keep you posted.  ;)

Its been done, but due to the board crash all the info is bit-bucketed.  The common thread was its not worth the "unknowns" for the amount of money being saved.  There is definitely a reason a motorcycle tire is designed the way it is versus a car tire.  Traction/Stability/Capability.  Saving a few hundred dollars a year is not worth loosing the years that went into designing a motorcycle tire.  We spend alot of $$$ on safety and convenience, I just don't see compromising in the most important safety component on the motorcycle...the tires.

Aaron

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 09:47:23 AM »
Roland, I've got to agree with Fred on this but good luck and keep us informed. I noticed you've got a low post count so welcome to the Forum.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 09:55:17 AM »
Just curious, is that tire "V" rated?
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 10:00:30 AM »
There is definitely a reason a motorcycle tire is designed the way it is versus a car tire. 

Cars do not lean and ride on the side of their [square] tires.  The geometries and design functions are TOTALLY different.  I think putting a car tire on a bike is a horrible, unwise, and unsafe maneuver.   ESPECIALLY on a sporty bike, like the Concours.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 10:10:44 AM »
Cars do not lean and ride on the side of their [square] tires.  ...

What about those old school VW Bugs that have been lowered so much that the tread doesn't sit flat?  ;D

Question to OP... What pressure is the tire at? If lower than stock, would the TPMS be thrown off? That fact that you've ridden means you aren't having any issues, but still a general question, I guess.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 10:16:35 AM »

I can't imagine why...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 10:30:15 AM »
That would not matter- he was not a moderator and so could not have deleted posts or threads. The moderators that are on this site have never shown any interest in censorship of any topic that I am aware of. We can all love or hate a subject, or even have no opinion at all but we do seem free to discuss any motorcycle topic here.

Brian

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 10:40:17 AM by VirginiaJim »
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 10:34:11 AM »
Yep, that is the logic I use to determine safety and usefulness on a street motorcycle and so do not have headlights, taillights, brake lights, reflectors, passenger seats / pegs, turnsignals, a horn, mirrors, or tread on my tires.

;)

Brian

When I see a car tire on a MotoGP bike I'll try one.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 10:40:20 AM »
Interesting, and thanks for posting the info. and photo. I am a little surprised that the tire fit without any side clearance issues but that certainly makes it easy to mount a significantly [wider than stock] tire on the bike.

What tools and method did you use to mount the tire- irons or a lever type tool?

Best of luck and please do let us know from time to time how that CT is working out for you.

Brian

Ok let the flaming begin... I went to darkside and put a car tire on the 09 Concours!
Found a brand new 205/40/17 Nexen tire for $25.00, tire is a little shorter than the
stock tire but fits fine. I was worried about hitting the drive shaft cover on the left
side but no problems.... Dont get me wrong, it was a bitch to get on the rim. the 40 profile
sidewall was really stiff but after some time we got it mounted...
Did a 175 mi. loop Wednesday with a friend and the more I rode the better I liked :)
Rpm came up about 300 spedo is 3mph fast (65is actually 62),
but that is fine I just get into od sooner and the
bike really pulls stronger than before... Gearing change from the shorter tire...Hopfully I can
get pictures to load and you can see the install.
Al In New Bern.