Author Topic: ZALES Logic?  (Read 14759 times)

Online philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
ZALES Logic?
« on: January 16, 2016, 04:32:57 PM »
Just saw a TX Zales jewelry store. Very clearly posted all over the doors, were signs in English & Spanish, stating that citizens legally licensed to carry fire-arms, are prohibited from entering.
Noticeably absent was any signage prohibiting criminals, carrying concealed illegal weapons, from entering.

Go figure!?  :nuts:
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"
Re: ZALES Logic?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 04:51:48 PM »
the sign should say....Robbers, it is safe to rob us as no one here is armed....

since I would never have a reason to go to Zales, I suppose its a no brainer for me.

"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline SilverConnieRider

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 07:24:40 PM »
Guess they have never heard - your rights shall not be infringed. 

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 09:02:52 PM »
Being a private enterprise, they have the right to do that. Being a private citizen, you have the right to not shop there.

I am a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment and I have no problem with business owners denying entry to armed citizens. I will support their right to do so to the bitter end.  Individual decisions are far different than laws.

The 1st Amendment is another fine example of that double edged sword. I have no use for the Nazi party but I would die defending their right to assemble.

God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 06:22:00 AM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 10:14:55 AM »
the sign should say....Robbers, it is safe to rob us as no one here is armed....

+1

Although they have the right to do that, and I support that right, it is really stupid.

1) It won't stop criminals- the people who are the problem
2) It makes the place LESS SAFE
3) It tells your patrons you are having problems of some sort
4) It is bad for business and scares people
5) It turns away possible customers like me who would be pissed

I see no positive side to it at all.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 10:29:03 AM »
^^^^ I agree 100 percent. I will not spend my money there and I believe it is a foolish policy. I was simply making the point that they have the right tp make that policy.

I hate when the Government makes laws that business owners must abide by wether they like it or not. Smoking laws are a fine example. I believe that if a restaurant owner wants to allow smoking, he should be allowed to. If you don't want to go to a restaurant that allows smoking, DON'T GO THERE! The market will sort itself out.

Far too many individual liberties are being trampled on by the Government and I don't see those liberties being returned once they are gone.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Flat-spot

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 11:02:46 AM »
From within the (very handy/useful for traveling)  APP  "CCW",  you can get a (sub?) APP called "POSTED" listing pro & anti-gun places of business.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 11:42:00 AM »
Just saw a TX Zales jewelry store. Very clearly posted all over the doors, were signs in English & Spanish, stating that citizens legally licensed to carry fire-arms, are prohibited from entering.
Is that the exact wording?..or did it mean they couldn't enter while armed? Seems doubtful they'd be able to keep a licensed person out if they aren't armed at the time, legally or practically.

Not a gun guy myself (currently), but not anti gun either. I don't know about Zales, but I've been in jewelry stores where all/most of the employees are heeled (yes, I do live in Texas and these visits were before the new open carry laws went into effect), so maybe Zales isn't anti-gun so much as they just want exclusivity in the matter in their establishments...that is to say in the confusion of a robbery they want to be able to shoot those non-employees they see with weapons drawn with less fear of shooting honest customers? It worked for Wyatt Earp, or so the legend goes. Maybe not valid, but I know if I had a high theft risk place of business, I'd want all the odds in my employees favor. I'd probably do the same if I owned a string of pawn shops. Given time and a lack of negative incidents (or lack of customers), the Zales policy may go away.

Interesting info especially for non-gun people like me that may have wandered into The Range: http://www.opencarrytexas.org/faq.html

..and here are some cards (10 cents ea, not a bad price) to take to Zales etc.: http://www.shop.opencarrytexas.org/No-GunsNo-Money-Cards-50pk-NoGunNoMoney.htm

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 02:25:58 PM »
Is that the exact wording?..or did it mean they couldn't enter while armed?

I have not been to Zales, so I don't know, but I assume they are saying while armed. 

Seems doubtful they'd be able to keep a licensed person out if they aren't armed at the time, legally or practically.

Indeed.  And in reality, they can't keep people out that are legally carrying, anymore than illegally.  I can say that perhaps a majority of CCP people ignore such signs.

Not a gun guy myself (currently), but not anti gun either. I don't know about Zales, but I've been in jewelry stores where all/most of the employees are heeled (yes, I do live in Texas and these visits were before the new open carry laws went into effect), so maybe Zales isn't anti-gun so much as they just want exclusivity in the matter in their establishments...that is to say in the confusion of a robbery they want to be able to shoot those non-employees they see with weapons drawn with less fear of shooting honest customers?

Who knows.  I have thought of such things before, myself.  I am going to guess that a majority of CCP people would not get involved unless it were a direct threat to themselves.

It worked for Wyatt Earp, or so the legend goes. Maybe not valid, but I know if I had a high theft risk place of business, I'd want all the odds in my employees favor. I'd probably do the same if I owned a string of pawn shops. Given time and a lack of negative incidents (or lack of customers), the Zales policy may go away.

Ironically, *THE* place to get guns, accessories, ammo, instruction, etc in this area is Superior Pawn.  Take a guess what signs are posted all over their entrances and in the stores?  "NO LOADED WEAPONS ARE ALLOWED" (with various wordings and additional info).   Now see if that makes much sense!  Are they required by their insurance carrier or something?  I have no idea.  I have been meaning to ask a manager there.

Interesting info especially for non-gun people like me that may have wandered into The Range: http://www.opencarrytexas.org/faq.html

Funny seeing all this chatter about open carry in TX.  Has been legal here [VA] for as long as I can remember AND WITHOUT ANY LICENSE NEEDED.  It is pretty rare to see someone open carry, though.... not a great idea-  Freaks some people out, attracts attention, and also makes you a target.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 12:09:40 AM »
Noticeably absent was any signage prohibiting criminals, carrying concealed illegal weapons, from entering.

Go figure!?  :nuts:

What kind of sign was it? 30.06, 30.07?

Online philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 08:09:40 AM »
All the signs were the appropriate kind, with the proper references, 30-06, 30-07. The point is that they went to all that trouble to ward off HONEST people with weapons, while completely accepting of folks who may be illegally carrying a weapon. It is absolutely their right to do so, it just shows the kind of senseless hysteria behind even worrying about who may have a weapon.
Ban the legal ones, open door for anyone else.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 08:29:30 AM »
Ironically, *THE* place to get guns, accessories, ammo, instruction, etc in this area is Superior Pawn.  Take a guess what signs are posted all over their entrances and in the stores?  "NO LOADED WEAPONS ARE ALLOWED" (with various wordings and additional info).   Now see if that makes much sense!  Are they required by their insurance carrier or something?  I have no idea.  I have been meaning to ask a manager there.

Seems like I see that in most gun stores. I think it has more to do with safety. They get a lot of people walking in with guns out in the open and they don't want some idiot accidentally discharging one. They also have a lot of people handling guns in the store. They are careful to make sure a store gun is unloaded before handing it to a customer but mixing loaded guns with unloaded is a bad idea. I've been in a gun store and have asked to dry fire one just to see what the trigger is like. I could see some careless person comparing with their current gun. So for safety, the only loaded guns are in holsters strapped to the staff. Just my guess.

BTW: same thing at every gun show I've ever been to. They are not worried about a robbery (even criminals are not that stupid), they are worried about an accident so at gun shows they inspect every gun coming in and put cable tie through the receiver just to make sure no stupid accidents.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 08:48:23 AM »
Maxtog, my son lived in the Tidewater area for 13 years and on my visits it was normal to see someone carrying openly.
He eventually got his CHL but carrying saved his bacon once when a dog tried to attack him.
The cops were called on him once at the neighborhood laundromat.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 10:38:06 AM »
I own a 9M but am completely ignorant about CHL: How does anybody know whether or not a gun carrying individual has a CHL?

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 02:14:12 PM »
I own a 9M but am completely ignorant about CHL: How does anybody know whether or not a gun carrying individual has a CHL?
And if you're carrying correctly, how does one even know you're carrying?
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 03:27:05 PM »
I guess the concern is also open carry, the laws of which I also know nothing about, but same basic question: How does anybody know whether or not an individual openly carrying a gun is licensed to do so?

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 03:28:38 PM »
Maybe individuals carrying guns should have to wear a "licensed gun carrier" type of badge, front and rear, readily visible ... like license plates  :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 04:04:53 PM »
Maxtog, my son lived in the Tidewater area for 13 years and on my visits it was normal to see someone carrying openly.

I guess it just depends where and when.  I might see one open-carry person a year.

He eventually got his CHL but carrying saved his bacon once when a dog tried to attack him.
The cops were called on him once at the neighborhood laundromat.

In that case, I would hope that the police trace back the call and charge the people reporting it with something.... at least a ticket for wasting their time.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 04:07:52 PM »

They don't.  They would have to ask to see the license (CHP/CHL/CCP).  The police do have such a right, and you must carry the license and a photo ID with you at all times when carrying concealed.

I guess the concern is also open carry, the laws of which I also know nothing about, but same basic question: How does anybody know whether or not an individual openly carrying a gun is licensed to do so?

Same response- you don't.  And the laws vary wildly from place to place.  Same way you don't know if someone is licensed to drive, or licensed to practice medicine, etc.

Maybe individuals carrying guns should have to wear a "licensed gun carrier" type of badge, front and rear, readily visible ... like license plates  :)

Um..... no.