Author Topic: Replacing my DieselGate Jetta with a Mazda CX-5  (Read 11699 times)

Offline Conrad

Replacing my DieselGate Jetta with a Mazda CX-5
« on: August 28, 2016, 06:58:21 AM »
VW will be buying back my 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI sometime in the next few months. I should be getting around $24k for it with ~45k miles on the clock.

I'm wanting to buy a smallish SUV or crossover. After a lot of reading online the Mazda CX-5 Touring is at the top of the list. I test drove one locally and I really liked it.

Anyone have an opinion of these Mazdas?

« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 06:55:51 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Re: Possibly replacing my DieselGate Jetta with a Mazda CX-5
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 08:09:52 AM »
Personally, I think Mazdas are underrated. I've always found them to be really good cars. I say go for it, Conrad.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 08:33:17 AM »
I have one, a sport model so not quite as well appointed as the touring. Most of the issues I have with mine are minor inconveniences that will be addressed by the higher trim level. The only issue I can think of usability of the the center armrest for the passenger. The center console houses the cup holders behind the rotary dial for the entertainment system. The center armrest has a cut out on the passenger side that effectively makes it useless for the passenger. Small thing but it drove my wife nuts for the first few months. She's used to it now.

In my opinion, the thing drives very well and is extremely comfortable. Fit and finish is very good and I like the interior materials. Going from it to our other car highlights how tight everything on it is. For a small suv I paid $26K for, it feels better than the price point. We piled up more than 20K miles in the first year, averaging mid to high 20s in mixed driving, which is good for my wife as fuel mileage drops significantly whenever she is behind the wheel.

I installed a class III hitch and tow a 4x8 trailer with it. It drags the trailer well with no issues. Haven't done it yet but I'd have no qualms about trailering the C14 with it.

Overall, I love it. I've had very good experiences with Mazda. I'd buy it again but would likely spring for a higher trim model. You may also want to go look at the Kia Sportage and Sorento. We had a 2011 Sorento and loved it, only sold it to PCS to Italy and it was on the short list when we returned. Very nice vehicle and a great warranty.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 08:39:59 AM »
Next question is all wheel drive or just front wheel drive?

All wheel drive adds ~$1k to the total price and reduces the fuel economy by ~3 mpg on the highway. I'd prefer all wheel drive to deal with our lovely Illinois winters but the Jetta is front wheel drive and I've never had an issue getting around when the weather turns to ****. 

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 08:41:21 AM »
Personally, I think Mazdas are underrated. I've always found them to be really good cars. I say go for it, Conrad.

I would absolutely agree. I had a 2000 Mazda MPV minivan that made it 250,000 miles before my son killed it with neglect and lack of even the most routine maintenance. Apparently, no matter how much I try, if I'm not there to do it for him, my son has no concept of taking care of a car no matter how much he has been taught or reminded.

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 08:42:16 AM »

All wheel drive adds ~$1k to the total price and reduces the fuel economy by ~3 mpg on the highway. I'd prefer all wheel drive to deal with our lovely Illinois winters but the Jetta is front wheel drive and I've never had an issue getting around when the weather turns to ****.

Front wheel drive, I live in Eastern North Carolina, no need for all wheel drive.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 08:46:02 AM »
I have one, a sport model so not quite as well appointed as the touring. Most of the issues I have with mine are minor inconveniences that will be addressed by the higher trim level. The only issue I can think of usability of the the center armrest for the passenger. The center console houses the cup holders behind the rotary dial for the entertainment system. The center armrest has a cut out on the passenger side that effectively makes it useless for the passenger. Small thing but it drove my wife nuts for the first few months. She's used to it now.

In my opinion, the thing drives very well and is extremely comfortable. Fit and finish is very good and I like the interior materials. Going from it to our other car highlights how tight everything on it is. For a small suv I paid $26K for, it feels better than the price point. We piled up more than 20K miles in the first year, averaging mid to high 20s in mixed driving, which is good for my wife as fuel mileage drops significantly whenever she is behind the wheel.

I installed a class III hitch and tow a 4x8 trailer with it. It drags the trailer well with no issues. Haven't done it yet but I'd have no qualms about trailering the C14 with it.

Overall, I love it. I've had very good experiences with Mazda. I'd buy it again but would likely spring for a higher trim model. You may also want to go look at the Kia Sportage and Sorento. We had a 2011 Sorento and loved it, only sold it to PCS to Italy and it was on the short list when we returned. Very nice vehicle and a great warranty.

What year did you buy Mac? 2.0 or 2.5 liter motor? It seems that Mazda made some updates to these cars from 2016 to 2016.5. I'm looking at the 2016.5, gotta have heated seats for those cold mornings.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 08:51:02 AM »
I would absolutely agree. I had a 2000 Mazda MPV minivan that made it 250,000 miles before my son killed it with neglect and lack of even the most routine maintenance. Apparently, no matter how much I try, if I'm not there to do it for him, my son has no concept of taking care of a car no matter how much he has been taught or reminded.

I feel your pain on the son who won't take care of his cars. I have two boys, the oldest is like me in that he does all his own wrenching and is meticulous/anal about his vehicles. The youngest, not so much. I've given him two cars and he's killed both of them with neglect, there won't be a third.   

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 09:56:04 AM »
What year did you buy Mac? 2.0 or 2.5 liter motor? It seems that Mazda made some updates to these cars from 2016 to 2016.5. I'm looking at the 2016.5, gotta have heated seats for those cold mornings.

I bought an early 2016 in July 2015, 2.5. One correction, looking at the paperwork I'm into it for under 25K with an extended warranty. Probably could have paid less but I was back in the states on a humanitarian reassignment with no vehicle, a wife and kid and a 120 mile round trip between work and my parents house I had to make daily.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 02:42:44 PM »
So this is the interim thread before you actually buy it, C?  :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 02:43:30 PM »

+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 04:49:37 PM »
Other than the buyback is VW offering any deep discounts to keep you in the family?

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 07:52:11 PM »

I you plan to do much of any winter towing with it I would go with the AWD. Usually you get a bit more suspension than the FWD version.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 04:42:03 AM »
So this is the interim thread before you actually buy it, C?  :rotflmao:

The MX-5 is at the top of my list so far, didn't say that I was gonna buy it though.   ;)

Both Car and Driver along with Motor Trend have the MX-5 at the top of their lists too.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 04:45:04 AM »
I you plan to do much of any winter towing with it I would go with the AWD. Usually you get a bit more suspension than the FWD version.

I sold my sleds and trailer so the only thing that I might tow would be if I was trailering my bike somewhere. If I was going somewhere in the winter months most likely I would be pulling the trailer with the RV. So I'm not really sure that I need AWD but I sure do want it.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 06:59:42 AM »
I sold my sleds and trailer so the only thing that I might tow would be if I was trailering my bike somewhere. If I was going somewhere in the winter months most likely I would be pulling the trailer with the RV. So I'm not really sure that I need AWD but I sure do want it.

Life is far too short to not get what you want. Get the AWD. Just because.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2016, 05:29:33 AM »
Ok, I am getting what I want.  :)

I have to wait on VW for the buyback before I can buy our new car, well, I don't HAVE to but I am. I've been negotiating with area Mazda dealers via e-mail. It's amazing the lies I get told in 'writing'. The small town local dealers are the worst, such bullshit. The closest Mazda dealer to me (they don't have what I want on their lot) told me that there are only 5 of the Mazdas that I'm looking for in the Chicagoland area and they could get one for me, at a 'price'. One of the 'big city' (Chicago) dealers, has 8 of the exact cars I want on their lot (confirmed by Mazda) and this dealer gave me a great quote. If a salesman is going to flat out lie to me they should at least make it over something that's not so easy to check on.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2016, 06:54:57 AM »
Ok, I am getting what I want.  :)

I have to wait on VW for the buyback before I can buy our new car, well, I don't HAVE to but I am. I've been negotiating with area Mazda dealers via e-mail. It's amazing the lies I get told in 'writing'. The small town local dealers are the worst, such bullshit. The closest Mazda dealer to me (they don't have what I want on their lot) told me that there are only 5 of the Mazdas that I'm looking for in the Chicagoland area and they could get one for me, at a 'price'. One of the 'big city' (Chicago) dealers, has 8 of the exact cars I want on their lot (confirmed by Mazda) and this dealer gave me a great quote. If a salesman is going to flat out lie to me they should at least make it over something that's not so easy to check on.

Had that exact experience about 10 years ago when we bought our Toyota Highlander Limited. Colorado Springs dealer told us they are rare and very hard to get. Drove 35 minutes north to south Denver and found about 15 on the lot.  :rotflmao:

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2016, 07:57:43 AM »
Had that exact experience about 10 years ago when we bought our Toyota Highlander Limited. Colorado Springs dealer told us they are rare and very hard to get. Drove 35 minutes north to south Denver and found about 15 on the lot.  :rotflmao:

That's when you buy it and go back to the first salesman and show it off, mentioning how truthful and trustworthy the second guy seemed...

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2016, 07:04:52 AM »
That's when you buy it and go back to the first salesman and show it off, mentioning how truthful and trustworthy the second guy seemed...

Jamie

Excellent idea!  :)

I decided to have a little fun with the local salesman who is feeding me a line of bullshit about the availability of the Mazda that I want.

Here's our conversation.

Salesman- Only (5) CX-5 Grand Touring exist in the Chicagoland area. Titanium Flash Mica, AWD, 2016.5, black interior. They would be closer to 50 to 100 miles on the odometer. Pricing would be at invoice, minus the $500 customer cash. Based on MSRP of $30,770. Invoice is $30,068.

Me- There are only 5 of the CX-5s I want in Chicagoland? We are talking about the 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD in Titanium with black interior with no options or 'packages' right?

Salesman- Yes, that is correct. Some others were available, but too far of a distance. Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, etc. Those states are in our market region. We do not a trailer for picking up vehicles out of state.

Me- Are you aware that at the Mazda USA website that I can select the exact vehicle that I want and then enter my zip code and a mileage radius? They will then show me what dealers in that radius have that exact vehicle, provide pricing, and that dealers website.

I don't know where you got the info that there are only 5 of the CX-5s that I want in all of Chicagoland but Mazda tells me a different story. Plus I can go to these dealers websites and I can verify how many CX-5s they have, and surprise, the count matches Mazda's number from their site. I can tell you that there are a LOT more than 5 available in Chicagoland. One dealer has 8 on his lot, the exact CX-5 that I want. Even Dixon and Ottawa have the car that I want on their lots.

So what am I to think when you tell me that there are only 5 in this area? Also, that price that you gave me as the invoice price is incorrect too. Do you think that I haven't done any research on this vehicle before contacting dealers in my area first?