Author Topic: EARTHQUAKE!!!!  (Read 12078 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
EARTHQUAKE!!!!
« on: August 23, 2011, 12:07:49 PM »
COOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL
we jus had a 5.8 hit in Mineral Virginia, we felt it rocking and rolling here in richmond, approx 1:50 p.m., a few minutes ago....
\
coool ??? ;D

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MiniCog

Re: EARTHQUAKE!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 12:14:13 PM »
I was killing time on the internet in a blow-off class (I have a 349/350 in it right now.), and a friend from Virginia said there was an earthquake.  I googled it, 5.9 at the center.  His place got a 5.8 and he felt it for 45 seconds.

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/08/the-d-c-earthquake-of-2011/
Past: XR650R, 250 Ninjette.
Present: None...
Next: C-14, '08-09 Speed Triple, and/or Sprint GT.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 12:26:49 PM »
Felt it up here in King George.  Thought it was AP Hill firing a few biggies but it got worse and worse.  No apparent damage here.  No sirens going off.  5.9 now.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 12:32:02 PM »
Most people from the Ninja250fourm are in the East Coast.

Needless to say, they're all checking their bikes if they rode to work...   ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 12:38:39 PM »
Here's some interesting info, click on the tabs for more.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/usc0005ild.php#details
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Connito

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 12:46:51 PM »
I felt it here in Boston! In our building everyone on the fourth floor and above felt it.
"Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 12:52:11 PM »
National Airport is stopping incoming aircraft......stop.......Lake Anna nuclear facility which quite frankly is a stone's throw away from Mineral is shut down (no damage, just checking things out).....stop......cell phones ain't working real well here as are long distance land lines...stop.....Car 54 where are you?.....stop

Update...stop......National Cathedral damaged in quake.  One of the spires partially fell off and another went catawampus....stop
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 01:27:40 PM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 86 4door

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 12:59:16 PM »
felt it in pottstown PA, for about 10 seconds,  was in my house and it felt like the house was on a boat.

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 12:59:43 PM »
Triad NC here  and WOW!!!
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 01:01:11 PM »
Serious damage at my house, found.  My fart machine, which I've had for years, fell off the shelf and shattered.  I'm now trying to make repairs.... :yikes: :'(

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 01:03:47 PM »
Serious damage at my house, found.  My fart machine, which I've had for years, fell off the shelf and shattered.  I'm now trying to make repairs.... :yikes: :'(

Best laugh I've had all day!   ;D ;D
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 01:04:04 PM »

Try this Jim

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 01:10:23 PM »
Thank God it was only cosmetic in nature.  I'm glad to report it is now fully operational and ready for action.  I was worried there for a bit.

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 01:21:14 PM »

:rotflmao:

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 01:32:53 PM »
I thought a plane had gone down at Dulles!  This was my first one, and I don't think I'd like to experience another one.  My office building is set off the founation to run network cabling through so we had a good ol' time.
I feel like a new person!

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 01:36:52 PM »
Felt the earthquake that hit VA today. Nothing big here. I would have like to have seen at least the road split open and lava spewing out, dinosaurs emerge and fire breathing dragons...but sigh, no such luck. Just a tickle in my ass.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 01:52:19 PM »
Residents post pictures of the horrible devastation in the DC area!  It brings a tear to my eye to see things like this...
I feel like a new person!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 01:53:01 PM »
We had a doozy in'01 WA State), I was out salmon fishing and all of a sudden the boat felt like one of them coin operated beds (or so I've heard).  Fishing was awesome right up to the shake, nada bite to be had once the rumble started, which went on for some time.  When we got back to the dock some divers were just pulling out, they were a little pale, seems everything turned black at the bottom, with no visuals it really threw them for a loop.  We had a few mild aftershocks for a few days, all I gotta say is way cool when you're on a peat bog, feels like the biggest bowl of jello ever made.  The quake really messed up I90, lots of upheavel places, some of which they still havent fixed, just adds to the experience I guess.
Be safe all, I hope all is well,

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 02:01:34 PM »
Whatever happens in Virginia never stays here.....

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 02:03:22 PM »
Whatever happens in Virginia never stays here.....
So, shaken, not stirred, eh ;)