Author Topic: EARTHQUAKE!!!!  (Read 12077 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: EARTHQUAKE!!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 02:24:06 PM »
Residents post pictures of the horrible devastation in the DC area!  It brings a tear to my eye to see things like this...

Oh the humanity!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 02:35:55 PM »
I thought a plane had gone down at Dulles!  This was my first one, and I don't think I'd like to experience another one.  My office building is set off the founation to run network cabling through so we had a good ol' time.

My building sits right next to (outside the fence on the backside) the Air and Space museum in Dulles so we are in the flight path of the landing planes.  We too thought a plane went down trying to land.  We went outside and heard all the sirens and thought here go the firefighters to the crash.  Didn't take long to figure out it wasn't a plane crash

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 02:39:44 PM »
We're nearly neighbors!  I'm on the other side of 28 at the intersection of 28 and Sterling Blvd.
I feel like a new person!

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 02:40:49 PM »
5.8?  Can you even feel a 5.8?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 03:27:34 PM »
Was working at the hospital today here in Columbus, and for sure and without a doubt felt it. Had some incubators that were on a large shelf, actually were moving around a bit. It kinda felt like I was on a boat, I was about 4 floors up from ground level.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 03:37:18 PM »

Yes you can feel it alright depending on how close you are to the epicenter.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 03:42:48 PM »
I was reading a blub that said the east coast is a mish mash of materials that's perfect for transmitting earthquakes.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 04:01:22 PM »
I slept right through it.

Hey!  8:30am is bedtime for some of us.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 04:47:07 PM »
I was reading a blub that said the east coast is a mish mash of materials that's perfect for transmitting earthquakes.

It was felt as far west as Chicago so I think the transmitter is ok and working fine.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 04:53:38 PM »
Yes you can feel it alright depending on how close you are to the epicenter.
DUH. I expect that from kalifurnions  ;D
I was @ work here near the airport, approx 50 linear miles s.e. from the epicenter, and things were shaking pretty good, no cieling tiles fel, it lasted 30-45 seconds total (about 15 seconds real good), with about half the movement for the rest of the event, I had a piece of plexiglass leaning/sitting next to my desk,and i could see it shaking for about 40 seconds. Cell covereage was non existint about 1 minute after the end of the event, text, e-mail, everything......makes you wonder a bit eh?
momma called me and told me that at the house, which is closer, about 20-25 miles from the epi due east, that stuff fell out of the cabinets, all the critters were running and hiding, and the waterbowls for the critters sloshed out pretty good. She also told me that the collection of expensive and rare beers i have stored were clanking loudly, and most likely have been shaken up, so I will need to open a bunch of them to keep them all from exploding, which may render it necessary to have Hasmat show up...... :rotflmao: :chugbeer: :thumbs: :rotflmao:

so the answer is, YES, you would feel a 5.9 for sure. unless you were in a car.
they have closed the Harry W. Nice bridge for inspection, no further usage till inspection complete....wow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_Harry_W._Nice_Memorial_Bridge

I imagine if you were up at the top when that occured it would have been impressive....I believe it has about 135 feet clearance below it.

heheehh 13 story stilts.....

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/quakes_big.php

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011, 05:08:26 PM »
I love that bridge.  I used to ride over it with a buddy that has a little issue with bridges.  Of course, me being the great guy I am would honk my horn and point over the side as we got to the top.  :o

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2011, 05:42:34 PM »
And that being a Major commuting route in my neck of the woods, let's hope it's all checked out by tomorrow morning....

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2011, 06:12:08 PM »
for the critters sloshed out pretty good. She also told me that the collection of expensive and rare beers i have stored were clanking loudly, and most likely have been shaken up, so I will need to open a bunch of them to keep them all from exploding, which may render it necessary to have Hasmat show up...... :rotflmao: :chugbeer: :thumbs: :rotflmao:

so the answer is, YES, you would feel a 5.9 for sure. unless you were in a car.
they have closed the Harry W. Nice bridge for inspection, no further usage till inspection complete....wow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_Harry_W._Nice_Memorial_Bridge

I imagine if you were up at the top when that occured it would have been impressive....I believe it has about 135 feet clearance below it.

heheehh 13 story stilts.....

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/quakes_big.php

OH MY GOD,
The way that bridge just bunched-up right in the middle, Awesome.
Everyone ride safe out there.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2011, 06:48:14 PM »
We had a doozy in'01 WA State), I was out salmon fishing and all of a sudden the boat felt like one of them coin operated beds (or so I've heard).  Fishing was awesome right up to the shake, nada bite to be had once the rumble started, which went on for some time.  When we got back to the dock some divers were just pulling out, they were a little pale, seems everything turned black at the bottom, with no visuals it really threw them for a loop.  We had a few mild aftershocks for a few days, all I gotta say is way cool when you're on a peat bog, feels like the biggest bowl of jello ever made.  The quake really messed up I90, lots of upheavel places, some of which they still havent fixed, just adds to the experience I guess.
Be safe all, I hope all is well,

I was in downtown Seattle for the BIG ONE ten years ago.  IIRC, it was a 6.8 or 6.9.  You can definitely feel those.  Standing on black top I felt like I was in a boat, with some pretty big waves rollin through.  I honestly did not think you would feel much with a 5.8.  The richter (sp) scale is exponential so a 6.8 is 10 times worse than a 5.8.  But a lot of folks felt it, so what do I know:)

Offline zgirl

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 10:02:24 PM »

Lived in LA and experienced many earthquakes including the Northridge quake. 
A 5.9 that was shallow (aprox. 3 mi deep) in an area where there is more sand/soil than bedrock would lead me to believe they got an E-ticket ride.   ;)

Prayers for everyone that felt their foundations shaken will find peace and comfort tonight.

Hugs,
ZG
There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither of them works.
'03 Kawi ZG1000
'09 Suzuki DL650
COG #5995, AMA #724312, CDA #0117, BMW MOA 121177

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2011, 03:19:45 AM »
Most of the Fed Govt is closed today along with many school systems close to the epicenter.  There was some damage in Fredericksburg, chimney's and brick facades.  Culpeper's main street was/is closed due to buildings losing their fronts.  Both the town of Culpeper and the county of Louisa are declaring disasters.  Haven't really heard much from Louisa in the way of damage, though and it was in the epicenter along with Mineral.  Mineral is a smallish town with 522 running through it.  I'm riding down through Powhatan and then on to Lunenburg for some system work today.  Hopefully they're open for business.

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2011, 08:34:28 AM »
I'm in Fredericksburg VA and believe it or not, I totally missed it! I had just left the house on the BMW not more than 5 minutes before it hit. Now that I know that, I do recall the front wheel feeling a little weird like it was following a dished out spot in the road surface. Then I noticed people outside of buildings, but thought it was just because of the awesome weather. My teenage daughter was in the house at the time and said she thought the house was going to blow up! She ran outside and sat in the car. It knocked some stuff over and tilted pictures on the wall, but no structural damage. The funny thing was that I was riding out by Lake Anna and almost went into Mineral, but changed direction at the last minute on a whim. I had no clue. Later around 8:00 though, I did get to feel a pretty good 4.2 aftershock. That was pretty cool as I actually heard it before I felt it. Schools are closed today while buildings are inspected. A few had some interior damage from light fixtures and such. I work at University of Mary Washington in town and we had minimal damage and freshman students are moving in today. One house across from my office had its chimney fall and damage the slate roof.
........oh, by the way, the K1200GT must have some awesome suspension!  ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2011, 09:19:30 AM »
I'm in Fredericksburg VA and believe it or not, I totally missed it! I had just left the house on the BMW not more than 5 minutes before it hit. Now that I know that, I do recall the front wheel feeling a little weird like it was following a dished out spot in the road surface. Then I noticed people outside of buildings, but thought it was just because of the awesome weather. My teenage daughter was in the house at the time and said she thought the house was going to blow up! She ran outside and sat in the car. It knocked some stuff over and tilted pictures on the wall, but no structural damage. The funny thing was that I was riding out by Lake Anna and almost went into Mineral, but changed direction at the last minute on a whim. I had no clue. Later around 8:00 though, I did get to feel a pretty good 4.2 aftershock. That was pretty cool as I actually heard it before I felt it. Schools are closed today while buildings are inspected. A few had some interior damage from light fixtures and such. I work at University of Mary Washington in town and we had minimal damage and freshman students are moving in today. One house across from my office had its chimney fall and damage the slate roof.
........oh, by the way, the K1200GT must have some awesome suspension!  ;D

Those Germans think of everything!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2011, 10:13:58 AM »
That's the extra-cost Seismic Movement Absorption Reaction Technology from BMW. Also known as SMARTass.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2011, 12:11:57 PM »
Not a 5+, but we had two 3.6s here that I felt this morning. One around midnight, and one at around 10am this morning. Both near Oakland, CA. I still enjoy them, but get nervous if they last too long.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"