Author Topic: STOCK EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS  (Read 6855 times)

Offline thundermax

STOCK EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS
« on: December 15, 2012, 09:01:07 AM »
Surveying the membership and asking "Have you ever modified a stock exhaust? Have you ever taken off the end, taken out anything, put is back together, and had a slightly more muscle sound?"
Riding 46 years. In order, 1958 Cushman 721 Highlander, 1960 Cushman Super Eagle, 1971 Honda SL 100, 1974 Yamaha RD 350, 1975 Honda 750 Four, 1971 Honda SL 175, 1998 Yamaha Vmax, 2005 Yamaha Vmax, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2012 Kawasaki Concours Arabian Red.

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
Re: STOCK EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 12:18:20 PM »
I know it's cheaper and may make it look a little better, but then again, it's still a potatoe launcher....and IMHO will never sound or look like an aftermarket can.  Just my two cents....
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline koval68

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 02:27:28 PM »
Surveying the membership and asking "Have you ever modified a stock exhaust? Have you ever taken off the end, taken out anything, put is back together, and had a slightly more muscle sound?"
Try searching word "muffler"in C-14 accessories and modifications and you will find what you're looking for. Here is one:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=5541.0
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 02:29:50 PM »
Take it off before it makes you fall over.  ;D 1400cc's deserves dual exhaust!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 03:18:09 PM »
Take it off before it makes you fall over.  ;D 1400cc's Baggers deserve dual exhaust!
FIFY  ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 06:49:10 PM »

:goodpost: :chugbeer:

Offline curly

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 07:49:04 AM »
Several here, including myself have shortened the stock exhaust. It looks better, though still ugly, and really doesnt't change the sound that much.

Inside there's not much you could do except remove the screens and sound chambers. However, who knows what it sound like or what it would do to performance.

Save the hassle and put on a proper aftermarket exhaust. A Delkevic slip-on can be had for less than $200. Much lighter, looks better, and barely louder than stock with the baffle in. No, I don't work for them.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 08:22:31 AM »
Several here, including myself have shortened the stock exhaust muffler. It looks better, though still ugly, and really doesnt't change the sound that much.

Save the hassle and put on a proper aftermarket exhaust muffler. A Delkevic slip-on [muffler] can be had for less than $200.

Muffler <> "Exhaust"!!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 11:05:07 AM »
To have a nice sound do so, plus you can put the db Killer.

http://youtu.be/w55KTXJocUs

Sound  MGvalerio  ;)

http://youtu.be/LygptIBTwRw
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline curly

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 12:36:57 PM »
Muffler <> "Exhaust"!!!
No one really seems to care except for you.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 02:04:12 PM »
But we do care. We just like to keep Max on his toes.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 02:38:29 PM »
Been there done that, have the midget muff.  Satisfying for sure but in the end its still a mini tater launcher.  In the end I would say the overwhelming majority end up with a new pipe or full system.  Still no regrets on the AreaP full system.

Offline livinon2wheels

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 06:50:29 AM »

Well, I'm new here and dont find the factory exhaust offensive other than a little bit too quiet. I think a little more noise out of it and I would be happy. In fact, I will go one step further...If someone has shortened their potato launcher by 4,5,6 inches...and they replaced it with an aftermarket system they are happy with, I would be happy to buy the modded factory exhaust to try it and see if I like it. I dont have the welding skills to do it myself. Dont everyone speak at the same time lol

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 07:20:22 AM »
Not many of the stock mufflers were modified.
But, several will have a stock exhaust/muffler for you to hack up and give it a try.

Hmmmm, I wonder if anyone has tried a baffelectomy on one?   :o

I agree with Gumby on this one... Dual it!! 
    {Please don't tell anyone I sed that}

If it counts; {After seeing Gumby's bike} I put a Stock ZX-14 Exhaust on mine.
 It took a lot of Modifications to get it to fit like I wanted.  :deadhorse:

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2020, 08:23:52 AM »
There are 2 reasons for replacing the factory BAZOOKA.
1- More/different noise.
2- Weight savings.
Modifying it doesn't save much weight as it's a behemoth.

There are a few aftermarket mufflers out there that don't increase the noise level much but give it a nicer tone.
I initially had a 2 Bros on mine, but it was just too loud for long runs on the motorways.
I replaced it with a Remus Hexacone that I got used from someone who sold their C14 and that has the perfect level and tone for me.
Has a nice burble at idle, a nice sound up to 5000rpm and only starts to scream above 5000rpm.
So, it's mostly quiet but you know it's running without looking at the Tacho!  :thumbs:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2020, 10:41:15 AM »
There are 2 reasons for replacing the factory BAZOOKA.
1- More/different noise.
2- Weight savings.
Modifying it doesn't save much weight as it's a behemoth.

There are a few aftermarket mufflers out there that don't increase the noise level much but give it a nicer tone.
I initially had a 2 Bros on mine, but it was just too loud for long runs on the motorways.
I replaced it with a Remus Hexacone that I got used from someone who sold their C14 and that has the perfect level and tone for me.
Has a nice burble at idle, a nice sound up to 5000rpm and only starts to scream above 5000rpm.
So, it's mostly quiet but you know it's running without looking at the Tacho!  :thumbs:

I wonder if you could’ve put the decibel killer on that 2 Bros.  Without it, mine was too loud but after putting on the dB killer, it brought it down to a more reasonable level, until I wind it up, of course!  Sounds gooooood!
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2020, 03:40:23 AM »
I wonder if you could’ve put the decibel killer on that 2 Bros.  Without it, mine was too loud but after putting on the dB killer, it brought it down to a more reasonable level, until I wind it up, of course!  Sounds gooooood!
It had the standard baffle in it. I tried without but that was WAAAY too loud.
It also popped and banged on the overrun which the Remus doesn't.
It was an early 2Bros Titanium that I bought used from someone on the COG forum.
I still have it in the garage alongside the OEM Bazooka.

Below is a pic of the C14 as she is now with the Remus Hexacone.

On my C10 I have the Delkevic 18" mufflers and in those I have had to stuff some stainless steel Scourers to mute them as well as running the longer baffles.
Too many aftermarket systems are just too loud and many have a nasty drone at highway speeds.
In the rush to make them cheap the testing seems to be missed out.

Personally when I hear a loud car/bike go past I just think "asshole".
OTOH when I hear a nice sounding car/bike go past I think "nice" and give the thumbs up.
Loud ≠ Nice
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2020, 08:41:36 AM »
I'm the same way. I like sound but not loud/obnoxious sound.
I tied a couple of different Slip-On's and wasn't satisfied until I went to a pair of Area p Slip-On's.
I like them the best. Nice sound...

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 09:00:50 AM by connie_rider »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2020, 08:20:09 PM »
i'ma dick, yes, and I have modified the '08 spud, to make it lighter, smaller, more robust in sound, and completely within epa std's. as stamped on the housing.. took 6" out of the frontal area, after grinding the weld off the back half under the aluminum cover, a and pulling the "guts out".. then chopped off  the forward 6" including the block off plate, and trimming the associated rear, to profile, an welding all back together.. nice sound, not obnoxious, perfect in every way.. free... hear that NO MONey$$$$$. and very happy.. toss a bunch of money out, to buy an exhaust, that as sold was never ever tuned specifically for the ZG1400.. only sold as "will work  don't be a sheep,and buy an an exhaust, neverr designed specifically for your bike do whatever you want, but be wise. and understand the differences between all the bike, and performance features associated you guys want to know how to mod the spud.. let me know.. I have a welder, and everything to mod it..

before:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2020, 08:40:08 PM »
after
 In retrospect, buy a NEW Kawasiki Z bike, and deal with dual sided fugyl big, huge, fugluy muffies.. .. damn, we always wanted a single exhaust on the C10.. Kaw listened, made it happen on the C14... then everyone wanted to mount dual cans on it.. the stock pipe, and muff weighs 21#.. wtf. I shucked off 4 pounds, on my mod.. and its quiet at moderate rpm, and comes alive, when pressed in conjunction with my MRP flash.. meh.. spend your money folks. my mods were a simple beer drinking afternoon.. done deal.

yeah, us with major engineering degrees don't know squat.. go watch som more you tube vids.. that seems to be the "new education".  (drops mic... over and out)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..