Author Topic: Chevy volt  (Read 4930 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Chevy volt
« on: October 02, 2012, 01:24:27 PM »
Politics aside, what do you guys think of this car? Still looking for a car for wife to commute about 70 - 75 miles round trip. Looked at a few cars and she is still going back and forth on keep what she has (a Jeep wrangler) vs buying a more economical car. Chevy volt caught her attention because she can drive one way on batteries and burn a gallon on the way back. Any opinions?
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline sherob

• Arena
Re: Chevy volt
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 01:36:17 PM »
Is it paid for (Jeep)?  If it's paid for, and you aren't putting more than a car payment a month in it as up keep... I wouldn't replace it.  When it starts to fall apart, then replace it.

If it's not paid for... are you going to take a beating trading it in or selling it?

Have you looked at the Hybrid Focus?

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/best/bestworstNF.shtml
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 01:41:25 PM »
Chevy  Volt      $39,600
Ford Fusion      $16,200
Toyota Corolla  $16,200

Just to name a few. $23,000 buys about 5800 gallons of gas. That's more than $200,000 miles in either the Fusion or the Corolla. Just saying.

Not to mention tax payers are currently paying another $100,000 or more to subsidize the Volt.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 01:52:15 PM »
Jeep is paid for. But on gas, we are currently paying around $320 a month. For sure, $40,000 (approx) will not make sense. I am wondering if rebates and stuff will bring the price down to around the $30000 - $32000 mark (maybe a pipe dream). I just liked the concept of all electric (with a gasoline engine as more or less a generator). I would have looked into Nissan Leaf, it being all electirc, but with only (guessing realistically) 80 - 90 miles range, that is cutting it close. Guess we will keep looking. Wish the Prius did not look so boring *hides from Jim*
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 02:23:18 PM »
I hear ya on the electric thing, but I do love my TDI, for around $30000 dollars you can get a loaded mid sized fuel sipper.  I get 49-50 MPG on trips over 15 miles and my wife gets around 42 (she isn't into any form of hyper mileing).  Quiet, comfy, sharp looks, roomy, gobs of torque, handles great, best tranny I have ever driven, and as a bonus, the great mileage.
The Fusion looks nice as well http://www.ford.com/cars/fusion/ .  FWIW, I would refuse delivery of a volt, regardless of price (disregard comes to mind ;D)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 02:33:17 PM »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 03:59:44 PM »
Awaz, it's impossible to put politics aside when talking about the Volt.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 05:31:17 PM »
Should be named the Re-volt......junk by the way.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 07:02:22 AM »
Chevy Volt is about $40 Grand. $40 Grand buys a LOT of gas for a paid for vehicle.  You'll never have the Volt long enough to pay for it in gas savings.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 08:20:29 AM »
I hear ya on the electric thing, but I do love my TDI, for around $30000 dollars you can get a loaded mid sized fuel sipper.  I get 49-50 MPG on trips over 15 miles and my wife gets around 42 (she isn't into any form of hyper mileing).  Quiet, comfy, sharp looks, roomy, gobs of torque, handles great, best tranny I have ever driven, and as a bonus, the great mileage.
The Fusion looks nice as well http://www.ford.com/cars/fusion/ .  FWIW, I would refuse delivery of a volt, regardless of price (disregard comes to mind ;D)

I have been trying to sway her on TDI (even a VW Beatle) - torque is good for the quick acceleration (right?). So far she is not warm and fuzzy to the 'diesel' thing  :loco:
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 08:32:17 AM »
I have been trying to sway her on TDI (even a VW Beatle) - torque is good for the quick acceleration (right?). So far she is not warm and fuzzy to the 'diesel' thing  :loco:
Have her test drive one, it really does sell itself.  My wife wasn't too keen either.  We did the first test drive in a Passat.  Her reaction?  Thats nice, but when do we drive the diesel?  We got out and I pointed to the TDI badge.
Yes, acceleration is great, you even have 3 modes from the tranny, leave it in drive/standard mode and you get a nice smooth take off, put it in sport mode and you get differant shift points, put it in manual mode, don't touch the shifter and you get automatic redline shifts.  Anytime I approach a downhill section I shift into neutral, very seamless shift out of and into gear and she coasts so good.

Offline graham downunder

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 08:04:58 PM »
Forget the Volt ,everyone forgets the cost of electricty to recharge the batteries and that is NOT FREE
Now speaking of batteries I would buy a Pirus because their battery pack is a proven long lasting design ,unfortunatly as we all know batteries are not all the same so how long do the Volt batteries last ???

I believe the Volt was even available on a very cheep lease of about $200 per month . I believe that a lot of them were sold that way ,it would be the omly way toget one IMO if you have to get one.

VW TDI is a car that will last a long time and will retain it's value get you wife tp test drive both petrol and diesel.

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 03:23:02 AM »
Bought a Chevy Sonic 3 months and 7000 miles ago for $14,500 with $1,500 in upgrades.  Has the same horsepower as a lot of Miatas and Minis (sans turbo).   Get 36mph out of every tank.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 07:09:41 AM »
Bought a Chevy Sonic 3 months and 7000 miles ago for $14,500 with $1,500 in upgrades.  Has the same horsepower as a lot of Miatas and Minis (sans turbo).   Get 36mph out of every tank.
I need something that goes a little faster.   :rotflmao:
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 07:17:52 AM »
Well, wife finally bought a car. I first took her to a VW dealer to try out their diesel. The only diesel they had was a Jetta. We test drove and she liked it. But she did not like the Jetta body style and the dealer did not have any Beatle or Sportswagon (I guess that is what it is called) with the diesel option.
So we head to the Honda dealer and they had a 2011 CR-Z with 35000 miles on sale for 19k. She test drove it and came back with a smile on her face O_O. The dealer took our offer of 17k+tax/tittle,etc. and she drove home Honda CR-Z. I guess being short not having kids is a benefit ! lol ! She liked it because it is sort of best of both world, sporty with a decent gas mileage. I was skeptical of how zippy it is, but after I drove it, it is plenty zippy. The sport mode is pretty fun.

http://automobiles.honda.com/cr-z/
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 08:09:29 AM »
These guys will remove Chevy Volts at a discount.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 11:18:10 AM »
Well, wife finally bought a car. I first took her to a VW dealer to try out their diesel. The only diesel they had was a Jetta. We test drove and she liked it. But she did not like the Jetta body style and the dealer did not have any Beatle or Sportswagon (I guess that is what it is called) with the diesel option.
So we head to the Honda dealer and they had a 2011 CR-Z with 35000 miles on sale for 19k. She test drove it and came back with a smile on her face O_O. The dealer took our offer of 17k+tax/tittle,etc. and she drove home Honda CR-Z. I guess being short not having kids is a benefit ! lol ! She liked it because it is sort of best of both world, sporty with a decent gas mileage. I was skeptical of how zippy it is, but after I drove it, it is plenty zippy. The sport mode is pretty fun.

http://automobiles.honda.com/cr-z/

Excellent choice!   Let us know how it works out for you.  With 35k on the odo it's still breaking in.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 02:10:49 PM »
Thanks Jim ! I told her she can consider it her 'motorcycle' ! lol ! (since it is a two seater). I just get to chill in the passenger seat like she does on the motorcycle ! lol
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 02:11:25 PM »
These guys will remove Chevy Volts at a discount.

I will make sure to grab one when they do so ! lol ! I do like the concept.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14