Author Topic: Back issues  (Read 3667 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Back issues
« on: November 02, 2011, 01:57:10 PM »
I have seen a lot of you guys having back problem to the extent that you have to go under the knife. I have seen this in other bike forums. Of course, motorcycle, by their nature will cause more stress to the back. I for myself do not have so sound of a back and afraid one of these days I might end up with a chronic issue. But on the other hand, couple years back, my wife had a slipped disc and issues with 'sciatic' nerve. Instead of going under the knife, she decided to just get physical therapy. And then she started doing yoga very diligently. Infact, she went on to get trained under a yoga expert and get certified as a Yoga Alliance instructor. She swears that yoga saved her back. She said it is still sensitive, but if it had not been for yoga, she would have to have surgery and then endless battle with pain.
So, that brought the question to my mind, how many of you that have back issues are active in the gym or some form of exercise other than just riding your bike? I got a desk job and so no exercise for me all day long. So, I try to hit the gymn at least couple days a week and try to do yoga with my wife at least once a week. I am trying to find out if exercise help at all, or these back problems are inevitable even with exercise. Just want to know what your thoughts are on it.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline sherob

• Arena
Re: Back issues
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 03:22:15 PM »
That's great if it works for you... PT works for some, didn't work for me... steroidal injections work for some, didn't work for me... RF nerve ablation works for some, didn't work for me... see a trend here.  ;)

I was hit on my bike back in 2005, caused a herniated disk... tried a bunch of stuff then to avoid surgery, didn't work then, had discectomy/laminectomy to fix it in March 2006.  I moved to a Wing in November 2006, then moved from Houston to Denver in August 2007... the move to a higher elevation seemed to be the back killer for me, and riding straight up on the Wing was killing me too.  I switched to the C14 Jan 2009, which helped... but I was still having problems.  I went thru everything you see above over a 3 year period, with no relief... I even tried accupuncture... nothing helped. So now, all I want done is my L5/S1 fused... I want my pain gone!  I want to be able to walk without limping... I want to wake up in the morning and not cringe when I use my left leg... I'd like to walk my daughter around for Halloween without having to quit after 30 minutes because my back feels like someone is sticking a knife in it... I don't want to have to stand up in meetings after 30 minutes cause I can't sit any longer... I want to stop having to eat pills!

I'm not picking on you, just trying to explain my position... and how I REALLY feel... LOL!!!  ;D    I finally got this surgery approved... I've been fighting for this for a year now!  Yes, I am very happy... and yes, I am looking forward to getting it done at the end of the year!  :)

Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 04:05:03 PM »
Its all good !

I am really just trying to find out what works and what does not. So what you said is very informative.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »
Moving to the Connie from the ZX14 really helped me.

The grass isn't always greener.

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 05:47:02 PM »
That's great if it works for you... PT works for some, didn't work for me... steroidal injections work for some, didn't work for me... RF nerve ablation works for some, didn't work for me... see a trend here.  ;)

I was hit on my bike back in 2005, caused a herniated disk... tried a bunch of stuff then to avoid surgery, didn't work then, had discectomy/laminectomy to fix it in March 2006.  I moved to a Wing in November 2006, then moved from Houston to Denver in August 2007... the move to a higher elevation seemed to be the back killer for me, and riding straight up on the Wing was killing me too.  I switched to the C14 Jan 2009, which helped... but I was still having problems.  I went thru everything you see above over a 3 year period, with no relief... I even tried accupuncture... nothing helped. So now, all I want done is my L5/S1 fused... I want my pain gone!  I want to be able to walk without limping... I want to wake up in the morning and not cringe when I use my left leg... I'd like to walk my daughter around for Halloween without having to quit after 30 minutes because my back feels like someone is sticking a knife in it... I don't want to have to stand up in meetings after 30 minutes cause I can't sit any longer... I want to stop having to eat pills!

I'm not picking on you, just trying to explain my position... and how I REALLY feel... LOL!!!  ;D    I finally got this surgery approved... I've been fighting for this for a year now!  Yes, I am very happy... and yes, I am looking forward to getting it done at the end of the year!  :)

git er done! 

No back issues...thank goodness, I just ride, walk, and mow grass :-)
Will

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 07:00:11 PM »
git er done! 

No back issues...thank goodness, I just ride, walk, and smoke grass :-)

Fixed!

;D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline roadie

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 07:06:29 PM »
LMAO
Will

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 07:51:21 AM »
I understand that PT and exercise after the fact may not help much for some. But I am more trying to get some opinion on exercise, walking, mowing, etc. as a preventive measure. And just as an FYI, I am not picking on folks that are having back problems and need surgery, etc. It is for my own knowledge to prevent such a thing for myself, if at all possible. I think I am a bit paranoid considering how physically inactive I am for the better part of the day.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 09:21:54 AM »
It looks like so far no one has answered, what I believe, is one of the main questions here.

I have zero back issues myself, so maybe his questions aren't addressed to me.

I'll answer anyways, that's how I am, I'm a giver.

I'm pretty active and exercise 5 to 8 hours per week. I have a gym set-up at home, a combination of strength training and aerobic machines and I've been doing this for 25 years or so.

I'm sure that this has helped me stay pain free with zero health problems and I don't have to take any pills, yet.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 09:29:21 AM »
I heard sex can back trouble after a certain period of life or age.........................nevermind  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Fretka

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 12:14:07 PM »
For what it's worth, I was told by my docs that building-up your groin muscles, the ones you would use to suck-in your lower gut, is the best and prob. only thing to do. These muscles support your L-5 vertebra and that seems to be the weak area in bi-pedal primates!
It all comes down to how badly damaged the S-1 nerve root is as to surgical outcome from what I gather.

Something to consider: Standing MRI's may tell much more than supine, although many insurance companies consider this pro. as "experimental".

Fretka
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline roadie

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 12:53:59 PM »
aw come on man :-) ...I said I ride, walk, and mow grass (until JimmyMac decided to "modify" my answer).  Mowing grass is strenous activity. And docs will tell you walking is super healthy.

It looks like so far no one has answered, what I believe, is one of the main questions here.

I have zero back issues myself, so maybe his questions aren't addressed to me.

I'll answer anyways, that's how I am, I'm a giver.

I'm pretty active and exercise 5 to 8 hours per week. I have a gym set-up at home, a combination of strength training and aerobic machines and I've been doing this for 25 years or so.

I'm sure that this has helped me stay pain free with zero health problems and I don't have to take any pills, yet.

Will

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 01:41:52 PM »
So it's not a riding mower?    ;D

aw come on man :-) ...I said I ride, walk, and mow grass (until JimmyMac decided to "modify" my answer).  Mowing grass is strenous activity. And docs will tell you walking is super healthy.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline roadie

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 02:06:55 PM »
i wish, momma won't let me get one...  I tried to tell her riding a cycle burns 4.7 calories per minute...she ain't buyin it.
Will