Author Topic: Love or hate apple?  (Read 5379 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Love or hate apple?
« on: July 05, 2012, 10:23:13 AM »
Just curious how many of you guys like or hate apple. I for one do not use any. My personal opinions are:

Pros:
1. Sleek looking products. Beautiful and nicely done.
2. OS is pretty good. Unix certified. Runs pretty darn good on the hardware they put on.
3. Makes some nice monitors. I will buy those if I can sell an organ.

Cons:
1. Hardware performance not in par with other PC manufactures and yet cost an arm and leg.
2. You cannot change jack crap. No RAM increase. NO GPU changes. Nada.
3. Wall gardened. My biggest grip. You cannot buy music, software, etc. from anywhere else.
4. Some of the worst EULAs you agree upon.
5. Worst patent troll of the bunch.
6. The graphic edge that people think does not apply anymore.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
Re: Love or hate apple?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 10:54:15 AM »
Just curious how many of you guys like or hate apple. I for one do not use any. My personal opinions are:

Pros:
1. Sleek looking products. Beautiful and nicely done.
2. OS is pretty good. Unix certified. Runs pretty darn good on the hardware they put on.
3. Makes some nice monitors. I will buy those if I can sell an organ.

Cons:
1. Hardware performance not in par with other PC manufactures and yet cost an arm and leg.
2. You cannot change jack crap. No RAM increase. NO GPU changes. Nada.
3. Wall gardened. My biggest grip. You cannot buy music, software, etc. from anywhere else.
4. Some of the worst EULAs you agree upon.
5. Worst patent troll of the bunch.
6. The graphic edge that people think does not apply anymore.

I think you pretty much summed it up nicely! It's the above Con's that make me loathe Apple...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 11:43:35 AM »
Since when can't you add RAM to a Mac?
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Lone-Rider

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 11:58:42 AM »
To each his own I guess. After being a "PC" for 25 years, going through almost every step of CPU family (starting with 8088xt) and building most of my own from scratch, I made the switch to Apple four years ago and couldn't be happier. Yes, they do cost more initially, but that is about the only con on my list.

What I found that moved me to switch:

-On equal hardware, better performance. Windows even ran better on Mac hardware under Bootcamp than it did on a PC of equal CPU, memory, graphics.

-The "controlled" OS meant far less conflicts, reinstallation of drivers, troubleshooting "lost" peripherals, restarts to resolve issues and such. No more having to regularly resolve problems, it just works. It also means that performance stays constant. No more gradually slowing down as you install more programs, files, etc. until you have to refresh the system by reformatting your HD and reinstalling everything.

-For me, LESS money in the long run. With PCs I upgraded to a new computer every 18-24 months as well as the new OS versions. With PCs, regardless of brand they have a 4-6 month product cycle (time between release and discontinue for newer model) Macs go on average 12-14 months before a model is discontinued, and with a higher build quality they retain a lot more in resale value. Figuring in what I've been able to sell my used Macs for (65% or more of what I paid) compared to a used PC (25-35% of purchase if lucky) usually more than makes up the initial higher cost.

-Ease of upgrade, never had as simple and smooth of a process in moving to a new computer than since I went Mac. No need to reinstall anything, simple restore from Time Capsule and re-enter installation keys for some software.

-Another thing that helps with the cost issue is OS upgrades. Major version changes in Windows runs $99 to $200 dollars EACH computer depending on what version you get (Home, Premium, Business, etc.). The Mac has a single version with all features, I paid just $29 when I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion and that $29 let me install on up to 5 computers. Between me, the wife, and my remaining child at home, we have 4 computers. $129 x 4 = $516 vs. $29 to have the current OS on all computers.

-Speaking of multiple computers, home network and sharing is far easier to set up and manage in the Mac environment.

To be fair, your list of "cons" has a couple of erroneous claims...

My experience is that Mac hardware performance far exceeds PC level, unless you go very high end PC components and then the cost difference shrinks considerably. My first Mac, a used Mac Mini had the same CPU and GPU as my then 1 year old Gateway PC and when I did head to head benchmarks, the Mac beat the PC across the board. The Mac even reported a high "Windows Experience" score in windows. Admittedly it wasn't a huge difference, in most things it was in the 5-7% range better, but it was better across the board none the less.

As to cost these were almost equal in performance and specs so are a good comparison.  The used Mac Mini (Apple's basic, low end model), 9 months into the product cycle cost me $400 (66% of new price of $600). That was $300 less than what I paid for the Gateway new ($700), which at the time was one of the higher end models. When I sold the Gateway a few weeks later, the best I could get for it with a clean software reinstall and in out of the box condition was $250 (36% of purchase price) for a computer that was 13 months old. I kept the Mini for six months and sold it for $300, or 50% of the new price for a computer almost 18 months old.

Every current Mac is capable of getting RAM upgraded and can be done by anyone who knows how to use a screwdriver. I upgraded the RAM in my old iMac, my old MacBook Pro, my current MacBook Pro, my current MacBook Air, and current Mac Mini. The only thing that you cant upgrade RAM on is the iPad.

With the speed that tech evolves, I don't see the inability to upgrade CPU/GPU as an issue. Why put better faster CPU/GPU in a machine that doesn't have the faster bus, chipsets, IO standards, etc to benefit from the new power? Makes as much sense as driving a Ferrari on the freeway in rush hour, sure you have great performance on paper, but real word it is no better than a Yugo.

You certainly can buy software, music, etc. from other sources. Most of my music is purchased from Amazon and I have had no issues. I have Adobe software, MS Office, and $5 "Popcap" arcade game software. I also have freeware software that far exceeds any freeware programs I ever saw for Windows OS.

Not sure what is so different in the EULA between Apple and MS, as I can't really say I have completely read either. I imagine they are all about the same legal gobbely gook just authored by different lawyers. Unlike the South Park episode, no Apple representative has showed up on my doorstep demanding I comply with strange EULA clauses.

As to patent enforcement, I got no problem with people aggressively defending what is theirs, even when it is intellectual material. At the end of the day a judge decides so complain if you think the judge is wrong. Contrary to popular belief, just cause it is on the internet it isn't free.

The graphic certainly is still there, but only because the high end production software that has become industry standard stuff is Mac centric. Not to say it couldn't be done on PC, but they don't have PC version of what has become a software standard. From a home user standpoint, either platform will do what folks need for pictures and home video.

Bottom line, it comes down to individual users and what they are looking for and what they do. For some Mac is the better way to go, others will do fine with a PC. Having experience on both sides I don't understand the mentality of one needs to be declared superior to the other. If you an only afford a PC it is obviously the better choice over not having a computer. If you can afford a Mac but are only going to surf the Internet, you might put the money to better use.

Regardless of all that, I just hate to see folks toss out misconceptions and falsehoods to support one side or the other or even outright lie or misrepresent facts to others.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 01:56:34 PM »
And the Mac IS a PC.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 04:51:08 PM »
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline graham downunder

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 06:03:20 PM »
I have been a PC user for years also . I am slowly changing to Apple why ?
I have been impressed with my my Iphones compared to previous phones that fail within about 12-18 months .
MY son has had an apple macbook for 18 months for school I have used it a bit and it is better when you are used to it.
My laptop bought about 15 months ago is good running window 7 pro but is only better in regards screen size and price. It is worse in starting up time ,mouse moving so you are typing and find you letters are going in somewhere else ( happen three times in this reply so far ),internet dropping out whereas the apple stays connected ( same room same time ), battery life is about 1/3  of the apple.

Are Apple perfect definatly not BUT they are miles ahead of PC window based sytems.
Would I buy another PC probably not would I buy another apple product YES .

You find a lot of people who like their  Iphone do change ,this is becoming obviuos and buisness are now changing over .

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 07:25:46 PM »
I love Intel and hate I tunes.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 06:01:28 AM »
Definitely to each his own. And if you bought your product based on your needs, than this is fine with me. I may have mixed various products when I was putting down the pros and cons, which probably was not the right way. When I was speaking of RAM, I was more referring to the MAC books. I did not think you could do that on MAC books - perhaps I need to look into that.

I did a comparison on two laptop specifications - an ASUS windows based laptop and a MAC book pro. You can google those as well. You will see that the ASUS laptop has better hardware than the MAC book pro and cost less.

I have a hard time believing that Windows run better on MAC hardware. Obviously you are talking about the intel chip MACs. If you have some benchmark links, it will be interesting to see.

I have no idea why you are upgrading PC in 4 - 6 months! If you are an enthusiast, you will be sticking to PC. I built my PC last Feb and it is running just fine and I do not plan to upgrade for at least one more year. And my PC never shuts down unless it is required after an update.

I do not have idea about upgrading MACs, but I will take your word for it that it is cheap. As for Windows upgrade, you do know there are family packs out there. I bought 3 licenses of Windows  7 for $124 when I upgraded from XP to Win 7.

As to cost these were almost equal in performance and specs so are a good comparison.  The used Mac Mini (Apple's basic, low end model), 9 months into the product cycle cost me $400 (66% of new price of $600). That was $300 less than what I paid for the Gateway new ($700), which at the time was one of the higher end models. When I sold the Gateway a few weeks later, the best I could get for it with a clean software reinstall and in out of the box condition was $250 (36% of purchase price) for a computer that was 13 months old. I kept the Mini for six months and sold it for $300, or 50% of the new price for a computer almost 18 months old.

First off, what you are referring here is akin to Harley Davidson versus our very own C14. Which do you think has better resale value? And would that by any means attribute it to be technologically superior? Its the cool-aid factor. This is not even considering the factor, IMO, that Gateway is not the greatest brand out there. There are far better brands.

With the speed that tech evolves, I don't see the inability to upgrade CPU/GPU as an issue. Why put better faster CPU/GPU in a machine that doesn't have the faster bus, chipsets, IO standards, etc to benefit from the new power? Makes as much sense as driving a Ferrari on the freeway in rush hour, sure you have great performance on paper, but real word it is no better than a Yugo.
I do agree with the aspect that you gotta know what you are doing. No sense throwing a GTX 680 on a off the shelf $700 desktop. You will be wasting money. But two things stick out to me here is that, first, Apple's hardware specs does not match their price - see my laptop comparison comment above. But let me give you another example. I had this 7 year old Compaq that I was using for mundane tasks. My nephew wanted to play WoW on it. The GPU on it just will not play WoW. I was able to get a $30 AGP card and stuck in there and it played WoW at good 30 - 35fps at medium setting. So, yes, it is a good thing to be able to upgrade.

You certainly can buy software, music, etc. from other sources. Most of my music is purchased from Amazon and I have had no issues. I have Adobe software, MS Office, and $5 "Popcap" arcade game software. I also have freeware software that far exceeds any freeware programs I ever saw for Windows OS.

This I did not know - but it is good to know. I was lead to believe that you can only purchase from iTues. So do you have to transfer it to MP4 (or whatever their audio protocol is) before you play? Or can it play MP3?

The graphic certainly is still there, but only because the high end production software that has become industry standard stuff is Mac centric. Not to say it couldn't be done on PC, but they don't have PC version of what has become a software standard. From a home user standpoint, either platform will do what folks need for pictures and home video.
I think this is a toss up. I do not think MAC is the standard on high end production software. Why would any high end shop stick to a pre-built spec when they can get their own spec setup? Also, you know the gaming industry is not using any MACs.

As for Patent information, you should do a google on all the patent suit they filed. Look up the suit they filed against HTC. Look up the patent they filed on embeded links. They are so frivolous!! Here is an example: http://gizmodo.com/5923087/apple-fails-to-ban-htc-imports and another interesting article here http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/05/us-apple-google-judge-idUSBRE8640IQ20120705
I am not saying other industries do it, but Apple seemed to have taken it to new heights.

The EULAs that caught my attention are:
http://gizmodo.com/5877736/sell-youre-book-in-the-ibookstore-and-apple-wont-let-you-sell-it-anywhere-else
Perhaps this one gives a bit better perspective
http://betanews.com/2012/01/22/apples-ibooks-author-eula-is-more-and-less-evil-than-you-think/

2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 10:14:52 AM »
I went to MacMall's website and looked at the specs. They can be upgraded with more RAM andthe desktops are made for ez access to upgrade and expand.
Years ago PC Magazine ran a test with Windoze on a Mac. They had to admit in benchmark tests the Mac ran it faster...and tis was on the OLD chipsets.
Remember the old "Intelinside" ads from about 5 or so years ago? They were done on Macs.

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 08:00:02 PM »
Hate them because I can't afford them.

I bought my first Apple product for my wife, an Ipod.  She wanted to purchase some apps and music so I told her to use the AMEX card because it has the best loss protection.  Apple account get jacked at Apple so AMEX calls us to make sure that purchases are good, we tell them no and AMEX shuts the card down.  AMEX pays for the first jack but not the next three that occurred at Apple after the card was shut down.  Apple tells us tough titties... We have to pay for the jacks that AMEX won't or she can't buy any more apps or music.  F*$K Apple. 

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 09:14:39 PM »
I used to HATE APPLE till I bought one.  Now every time I "have" to boot up and use a screaming win7 machine it SUX

Hehe call me a reformed Mac hater, the products work so much better its scary. Hardware, software, and even the monitors blow winders away!

I used to call Apple "MackInTrash"
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 02:25:58 AM »
And the Mac IS a PC.

So load a non-Apple OS on it as the only OS.

My hardware, I should be able to run any OS I choose.

Or conversely, if I buy an Apple OS I should be able to install it on any hardware I choose as long as I do not exceed the number of licenses.

Only that's not the way it works.

If you're talking performance, I can build a linux box for the same price as an Apple that will stomp the Apple into Applesauce.

rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline ugocon

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 03:45:03 AM »
If we limit to PC's, Apple is a snob choice: they are not powerful like a Intel/AMD CPU and only have "easy of use" functions.... for dummies! ;)
Regarding the phones, they gave a good thrust to make the cellphones become a commodity giving easy acces to smart functions.
I credit Apple for this, but now Android is as "smart" as they are, if not smarter... ;9

To make a comparison with bikes, it's like explaining the commercial success of BMW: not better bikes but people think they are!

Perception is what counts...
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 05:34:48 AM »
The Mac IS a PC.
The Mac WILL run Windows and boot from Windoze.
BTW if you didn't notice a few years ago Intel began making their processors.
And I will again repeat-the Mac IS a PC.
There are a few OSes that will run on the Mac.

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 06:04:50 AM »
The Mac IS a PC.
The Mac WILL run Windows and boot from Windoze.
BTW if you didn't notice a few years ago Intel began making their processors.
And I will again repeat-the Mac IS a PC.
There are a few OSes that will run on the Mac.

Nope.  Not as a single boot.

Try this--put new blank hard drive into a mac.

Then insert Windoze or Linux distro disc of your choice.

See if it boots.

Protip:  It won't.

rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 08:39:25 AM »
From what I have heard it can be done. Doesn't mean the Mac isn't a PC.

Offline Lone-Rider

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 09:18:34 AM »
I have a hard time believing that Windows run better on MAC hardware. Obviously you are talking about the intel chip MACs. If you have some benchmark links, it will be interesting to see.

I have no idea why you are upgrading PC in 4 - 6 months! If you are an enthusiast, you will be sticking to PC. I built my PC last Feb and it is running just fine and I do not plan to upgrade for at least one more year. And my PC never shuts down unless it is required after an update.

I do not have idea about upgrading MACs, but I will take your word for it that it is cheap. As for Windows upgrade, you do know there are family packs out there. I bought 3 licenses of Windows  7 for $124 when I upgraded from XP to Win 7.

First off, what you are referring here is akin to Harley Davidson versus our very own C14. Which do you think has better resale value? And would that by any means attribute it to be technologically superior? Its the cool-aid factor. This is not even considering the factor, IMO, that Gateway is not the greatest brand out there. There are far better brands.

Yes, Intel chip Macs. I did my own simple test on my computers using a free benchmark program and the built in "Windows Experience" score.

I don't upgrade in 4-6 months, what I was talking about is the product cycle. The Asus laptop you spec'd isn't likely to be on the market in 4-6 months. It will be a discontinued model and a new model with some minor change will have taken its place.

There are different "enthusiasts", not all stick to Windows machines. It depends on what they do and what they are enthused about. I will agree that if you are a hardcore gamer, Windows is the better platform. Games aren't my thing, so that didnt have anything to do with my choice.

Sometimes they have the "family" pack OS upgrade for three licenses. When they do, it is for a brief introductory time, it still costs 4 times what the Mac OS does, is two licenses less, and is not the "full" OS (Home premium vs. Professional vs Ultimate).

As to resale value, I did not say it had anything to do with performance. My point was that if you do upgrade, the retained value helps to mitigate the higher cost. Gateway was a better brand 6 years ago, but that isn't the point. All brands of Windows suffer similarly. Home built boxes generally are the worst for resale unless you build a top notch box make the right component choices, AND just happen to find the right buyer. I have been there and done that. Built probably 12-15 computers from scratch over the years for myself, friends, or family. I don't miss it.

I was lead to believe that you can only purchase from iTues. So do you have to transfer it to MP4 (or whatever their audio protocol is) before you play? Or can it play MP3?

iTunes handles MP3 format with no problems, issues, or complexities whatsoever.

I really don't care about the EULA stuff as it doesn't affect me. I use Kindle software for my e-book reading (what little I do), even on the iPad and Mac.

I agree Macs ain't for everyone and like you say folks should choose based on their uses and needs (true of just about anything from computers to motorcycles to women!). Problem is that a lot of folks get bad info and make decisions based on rumor and falsehoods.

Look at your own original post regarding memory upgrades and MP3 compatibility, you put that out as fact when it was absolutely not the case. Was it a lie, ignorance, or just repeating something you heard? Regardless, it was erroneous info that is now "out there". There are some folks who will see a first post or hear something, never follow up or look for confirmation, and start the "I heard that..." chain and pass it on.

I just wanted to put out another perspective from someone who did the Windows thing from 3.0 all the way to 7 (and DOS before that), spent many years questioning - and bad mouthing - Macs, but then was won over after giving them a closer look.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 09:25:46 AM »
Memory updrage and MP3 compatibility - that is why we are having this discussion here.

As for people being misinformed, it goes both ways. Maybe you should wander around the apple booth to see the misinformation the spout out - of course, that will be termed as sales pitch. So, yes, it can go both ways.

Cholla, if I am understanding AZBiker correctly, what he is saying is that you can dual boot a MAC to have windows there. But you cannot uninstall OS10 and install just windows or Linux as the only OS. AZBiker can correct me if I misstated.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Lone-Rider

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 09:32:53 AM »
From what I have heard it can be done. Doesn't mean the Mac isn't a PC.

Yes, strictly speaking, the Mac is a "PC" since PC=Personal Computer.

Generally when people refer to a "PC" they are using it as a generic term for any box using the Windows OS, it is semantics.