Author Topic: New Black 2015 in Cali  (Read 9543 times)

Offline Wandrng

• Wandering the back roads of the USA & life
    • Wandering Back Roads
New Black 2015 in Cali
« on: August 12, 2015, 01:08:36 PM »
Hello all!

I rented a 2009 in 2010 for a 4 day adventure. Decided I wanted one, big time. 5 years pass...

On June 13th of 2015, a gorgeous Saturday, I rolled out of the dealers directly into a 200 mile ride into the foothills at the base of California's central valley section of the Sierras with my new and long dreamed of Kawasaki Concours 14. The 2015 black version. I had the 600 mile break in covered in 4 days. As she sits in the garage today, there are 6920 miles on the ODO - including a 4842.3 mile trip to Texas and back (from central Cali).

I found a bunch of valuable info on the forum while prepping for the trip(s) - Thanks all for the great info. And now I've joined the forum and can hopefully contribute some back. I've been riding for 20 years, been away for a year, and am back with a vengeance.  I got the Concours to wander the US visiting people and places.

From that very first 200 mile ride on pickup day. The Concours saw the old buildings in Coulterville and the meadows and hills of Greely Hill before it ever saw it's new home.

Still on the break in - I rode over to the the delta area where it was a little cooler

I finished the break in with a favorite trip of mine - east on Hwy 108 over Sonora Pass and return west over Hwy 120 Tioga Pass with the views in Yosemite. I stopped for the obligatory photo of Halfdome.

Finally! Break in complete!! I headed off for the foothills again, this time aimed right at Highway 49 from Coulterville to Mariposa - an awesome piece of asphalt I am lucky to live near. Sweet twists and sweepers.

And with one full speed ride under my belt. I headed off to Texas. It was a blast. Learned a lot about the Connie. I'm much more familiar with the bike and more confident now. Saw a lot of different roads and countryside. Lots of great people. And plenty of south west rain and thunderstorms! 4842.3 miles of bliss - mostly. (hope to do a ride report soon, before I forget details)

Since my return from Texas I've been back to the Sierras. Riding the back roads that weave between the pines and the oaks - passing ranches and tiny towns - skirting the farm animals and the wild ones alike. Deer make me nervous. Confident enough with the Concours's weight and slow speed handling to ride some iffier roads.

And that about covers it. My Concours adventures and wandering since the June 13th pickup day. 6920 miles of fun, adventure and excitement. Looking forward to many more.

Thanks again for all the help for a past lurker and a new contributor.

Keith
"Wandrng"
Life is too short to live the same day twice.
2015 Concours 14 -- 2007 Kawasaki KLR650 --  2003 Honda Magna 750 -- 2 V65 Magnas
Wandering Back Roads:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: New Black 2015 in Cali
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 02:14:44 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Keith. Nice intro.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 03:12:56 PM »
Welcome!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 03:14:29 PM »
Now THAT's an intro!

I see one of your stops was at a place with gold paint  8) ... and possibly some masking tape.

Offline Wandrng

• Wandering the back roads of the USA & life
    • Wandering Back Roads
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 06:23:16 PM »
Thanks all. Glad to be here.

Now THAT's an intro!

I see one of your stops was at a place with gold paint  8) ... and possibly some masking tape.

It was just feeling too black and looked just like all the other black ones, so I wanted to add some color. My girlfriend said I should make it like her hair - brunette with sun catching copper highlights. And here you have it.
Life is too short to live the same day twice.
2015 Concours 14 -- 2007 Kawasaki KLR650 --  2003 Honda Magna 750 -- 2 V65 Magnas
Wandering Back Roads:

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 09:50:20 PM »
Thanks all. Glad to be here.

It was just feeling too black and looked just like all the other black ones, so I wanted to add some color. My girlfriend said I should make it like her hair - brunette with sun catching copper highlights. And here you have it.

If you like the bike now, wait until you replace the Crapstone 021 tires- you'll be amazed how much better it performs.

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 02:18:27 AM »
Welcome Keith, very nice intro!  :)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 06:15:09 AM »
wow beautiful bike, congrats !
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine