Author Topic: If your bars won't turn, you will fall.  (Read 5000 times)

Offline ForkedUp

If your bars won't turn, you will fall.
« on: August 03, 2014, 10:39:03 PM »
So I woke up this morning in Parkersburg WV, rode some of the well known twisties in South East Ohio, then started making my way east on the slab as part of my trip from Alberta to NYC. Both bags full of clothes/gear with a soft case on the luggage rack.

The morning was great (I can't believe how hilly and curvy the highways are there, pretty country), got rained on in the afternoon in PA, what else is new.

Pulling into my room in Hagerstown, Maryland tonight, there's a little right turn into the Lobby area. I take the right at a slow, normal speed (5mph? 10?) and I lowside immediately. Bike turns itself off, I stand it back up, put it on the kickstand and I notice that the fork won't turn right. It won't go past a quarter of the way to full right turn. It feels like a sharp cutoff, not one with any give. It was dark out and I need to sleep so I'll go take a thorough look in the morning, but have any of you ever experienced this?

I didn't notice anything unusual beforehand. Had turned it off maybe 10 minutes before that, but I had taken right turns between then and when it locked up, so something happened when I was riding. Turns all the way to the left, the fork lock turns on and off normally, and it doesn't feel like any cables caught (I'll look) but son of a b*tch that could have been disastrous if it happened at 70mph on the 536 and not 7mph at the inn.

Things to look for tomorrow morning? Similar experiences?

This is the CDA, so before you ask yes I did scrape the fairing and bag, no cage/top block etc. Peg pinned my foot into the ground but it feels fine 2 hours later. Haven't had a getoff since my 250 at 16 in gravel, also a slow speed lowside

Offline Stasch

Re: If your bars won't turn, you will fall.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 02:30:09 AM »
Sorry to hear of the mishap.  You'll should be able to see whatever is blocking things once its light out.

Did you perhaps have your left fairing pocket open and get it caught on your handlebar?

Also check by the steering lock, cables in the way / binding etc.

I'm sure it will be something obvious that once removed / handled will put your mind at ease.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 08:33:53 AM »
There was another thread about this yesterday.  Same exact experiences for the rider.  He found some bolts had loosened around the triple clamp area.  I need to remember to go check mine.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 09:36:17 AM »
He found some bolts had loosened around the triple clamp area.  I need to remember to go check mine.
:o

Is this on a 10 or a 14?

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 07:53:21 AM »
The 14 mate!!