Author Topic: My mini Dachshund was attacked by a Rottweiler  (Read 21982 times)

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
Re: My mini Dachshund was attacked by a Rottweiler
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2012, 12:03:20 PM »
Glad to hear Bosco is recovering nicely.  It's sad the Rott had to pay for the owner's sins.  A well socialized dog typically won't act that way without some provocation.
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline Karl

« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2012, 02:29:49 PM »
  Sorry to hear about your trouble.

I had a mini- dachshund too.   It about killed me when she passed, just due to old age.

As some other posters already said, its a good idea to carry=all the time.  Preferably something that starts with .4
"did you check them points?"

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2012, 02:37:04 PM »
Bosco had her 10 day exam over the weekend and she's doing great. The vet is very surprised at her progress. She goes back next week to have her stitches removed.

She's even feeling well enough to take the chew bones away from our other two dogs.    :D

:thumbs: :thumbs:     :chugbeer:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2012, 02:39:39 PM »
I took the other two dogs for a walk over the weekend, Bosco can't go yet but she sure wanted to!

I can't (legally) carry my pistol but I had a baseball bat with me. I got some strange looks from the folks along the way. I ordered one of these from Amazon and it was just delivered. I'll at least have this and my cell for all future walks.

I also ordered an 'assisted opening' knife. I know that switchblades are illegal but dang, you press a button on this knife and the blade springs out in a big hurry. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2012, 02:43:48 PM »
I was hoping you'd get that 5 million volt stun baton and find a reason to test it on a cat or something.  :popcorn:
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2012, 02:54:01 PM »
Conrad,
  Pepper spray works well on aggressive dogs. I know from experience that it works on 200+lb men.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2012, 04:09:55 PM »
I was hoping you'd get that 5 million volt stun baton and find a reason to test it on a cat or something.  :popcorn:
Did someone say shocked cat?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2012, 11:43:48 PM »
Conrad,
  Pepper spray works well on aggressive dogs. I know from experience that it works on 200+lb men.
My Aussie hates men in uniform ever since a young cop sprayed him.  I was frikin ticked off.  200 yard private driveway, at the door, dog is barking and showing pearlie whites.  Obvious the kid (criminal) he was looking for wasn't there, he sprayed anyway.  He did leave a note.  Mailmen drop stuff out the window knowadays.

FWIW, get OC, stay away from the cheaper maces.  Think hot day, hand to hand techniques, cuffing techniques, ASP training and a conclusion of a shot accross the brow.  I wish I had gills, my face would still be buried in that bucket.  Worse part?  Sunburned ears, yeooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!  We don't shoot officers to demonstrate the efficiency, why do we spray em?  A sniff in a bucket is bad enough.  And a huge word of caution during shower time, all that water is moving south, if you get my drift.  Be sane, get a tazer or Steves idea.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2012, 04:49:42 AM »
Hey Jim!

Bosco wants me to thank you VERY much for the get well card that you sent to her! She didn't like the song as well as she liked the pictures! You're a good knight sir.

:chugbeer:

[smg id=240]

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2012, 04:58:35 AM »

I'm still looking into that. I've found out that Illinois won't let you carry one of those around but any county law pertaining to this supersedes the state law. I'm having a hard time getting the scoop on what the county will allow.

I'd never try one of these out on a cat but there was a bad driver the other day I'd like to demonstrate the efficiency of one of these on.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2012, 05:03:16 AM »
My Aussie hates men in uniform ever since a young cop sprayed him.  I was frikin ticked off.  200 yard private driveway, at the door, dog is barking and showing pearlie whites.  Obvious the kid (criminal) he was looking for wasn't there, he sprayed anyway.  He did leave a note.  Mailmen drop stuff out the window knowadays.

FWIW, get OC, stay away from the cheaper maces.  Think hot day, hand to hand techniques, cuffing techniques, ASP training and a conclusion of a shot accross the brow.  I wish I had gills, my face would still be buried in that bucket.  Worse part?  Sunburned ears, yeooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!  We don't shoot officers to demonstrate the efficiency, why do we spray em?  A sniff in a bucket is bad enough.  And a huge word of caution during shower time, all that water is moving south, if you get my drift.  Be sane, get a tazer or Steves idea.

I don't know about the new stuff but I have less than fond memories of basic training at Ft Knox and having to take my gas mask off inside the CS chamber.    :o

I tried to hold my breath, the DIs are wise to that trick.    :'(

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2012, 05:09:37 AM »
I'm still looking into that. I've found out that Illinois won't let you carry one of those around but any county law pertaining to this supersedes the state law. I'm having a hard time getting the scoop on what the county will allow.

I'd never try one of these out on a cat but there was a bad driver the other day I'd like to demonstrate the efficiency of one of these on.
don't ask don't tell

Offline Conrad

« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2012, 08:51:32 AM »
Bosco got all of her stitches out on Saturday and the vet gave her a clean bill of health.

I took Bosco out for a short walk yesterday, her first since the attack. She was VERY happy to be outside. She has a noticeable limp but she didn't seem to mind too much, she was just happy to be out and about.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2012, 08:54:24 AM »

I spoke at length with a Sgt of our county's Sheriffs Police and according to him it is legal to carry a stun baton as a defensive weapon while I'm walking the dogs. So there you have it.

Offline seajay

« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2012, 09:12:49 AM »
Bosco got all of her stitches out on Saturday and the vet gave her a clean bill of health.

I took Bosco out for a short walk yesterday, her first since the attack. She was VERY happy to be outside. She has a noticeable limp but she didn't seem to mind too much, she was just happy to be out and about.

That is fantastic news, glad to hear that she is recovering as well as she is!
09 C14 ABS, Black

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2012, 08:01:01 PM »

:thumbs: :chugbeer:

Taff

« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2012, 09:05:48 PM »
I just got a call from the owner of the Rottie, they had the dog euthanized this morning. More bad news, it didn't make me feel any better, just the opposite...

Conrad that is sad to hear considering that the Rott was probably with the wrong people in the first place.
Glad Bosco is all raring to go. :thumbs:

Jon.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2012, 04:32:51 AM »
Conrad that is sad to hear considering that the Rott was probably with the wrong people in the first place.

Jon.

That's exactly right Jon.    :(

Offline Timalan

• www.thismotorcyclelife.net
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2012, 07:45:09 AM »
picture of your Dog is awesome! So glad it recovered. A repaired dog is just as good as a new one. Did she calm down the weiner dog instinct to act like a large attack dog since the attack?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2012, 09:26:21 AM »
picture of your Dog is awesome! So glad it recovered. A repaired dog is just as good as a new one. Did she calm down the weiner dog instinct to act like a large attack dog since the attack?

Are you kidding? Of course not! She's still as feisty as ever.

Pics from our short walk yesterday.

[smg id=244]

[smg id=245]

resting a bit in the cool grass
[smg id=246]