Author Topic: ADV riding the Everglades, my take on it  (Read 6466 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
ADV riding the Everglades, my take on it
« on: January 19, 2014, 12:05:49 PM »
Incredible ride in the Everglades with 3 new friends. Alligators, wild turkeys,  deer, hawks, etc were amazing when we came up on them out of nowhere on their natural environment. Rode through hundreds of acres of tall dry salt grass fields, endless miles of single track, dirt roads, sugar sand, rocks,  mud, logging truck routes and the Everglades are none other than amazing. I'll be back, not soon enough but soon. The KTM bike took a beating and performed flawlessly. Hoped to see some wild panthers, but maybe next ride!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

Re: ADV riding the Everglades, my take on it
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 12:14:46 PM »
Almost jealous!!
Planning my AZ trip, looks like we will also be doing parts of the UTBDR.  Super stoked to say the least ;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 05:04:49 PM »
Just curious, and forgive an ignorant Yankee, but are alligators ever aggressive to humans in the wild? I understand that most everything around would just as soon go the other way when humans are around (Kodiak bears and the occasional Moose excepted!) and mostly alligators probably leave also but do they ever turn and get aggressive? I know they can be a problem with small children but I am taking about full sized, adult humans here..... I mean people bigger than Jay?

(the alligator part is serious, the Jay part is  :rotflmao:)

Brian

Incredible ride in the Everglades with 3 new friends. Alligators, wild turkeys,  deer, hawks, etc were amazing when we came up on them out of nowhere on their natural environment. Rode through hundreds of acres of tall dry salt grass fields, endless miles of single track, dirt roads, sugar sand, rocks,  mud, logging truck routes and the Everglades are none other than amazing. I'll be back, not soon enough but soon. The KTM bike took a beating and performed flawlessly. Hoped to see some wild panthers, but maybe next ride!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 01:18:15 PM »
Almost jealous!!
Planning my AZ trip, looks like we will also be doing parts of the UTBDR.  Super stoked to say the least ;D

No I'm jealous!

Just curious, and forgive an ignorant Yankee, but are alligators ever aggressive to humans in the wild? I understand that most everything around would just as soon go the other way when humans are around (Kodiak bears and the occasional Moose excepted!) and mostly alligators probably leave also but do they ever turn and get aggressive? I know they can be a problem with small children but I am taking about full sized, adult humans here..... I mean people bigger than Jay?

(the alligator part is serious, the Jay part is  :rotflmao:)

Brian

Never heard of a gator bothering a human. They are as skiddish as deer or worse. We got close only because we came up on them so friggin' fast they didn;t have time to react from a distance hehe

But countless cases of missing small pouch dogs and kitties that have went near the water. In our wildlife areas that people walk through there are tons of gators and they ask people not to feed them.

Also people are asked when they get in our FL swimming pools (common) please call animal control instead of clubbing or shooting them for the gator tail meat. Native Floridians love 'em!

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 02:26:56 PM »
I mean people bigger than Jay?

(the alligator part is serious, the Jay part is  :rotflmao: )

Brian

:o    :-[

Offline jayke

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 02:29:22 PM »
Alligators............nope not doing it.

I hate those things .. they scare the hell out of me.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 02:51:59 PM »
Alligators............nope not doing it.

I hate those things .. they scare the hell out of me.

They won't let you get close enough to scare you 

Off-roading in the desert was a fear for me being an out of towner'....damn diamondbacks   Florida boys know the gators and panthers in the wild aren't a threat....  but geez those rattlers!  SIDI mx boots for the win  ;D

Guy out west explained to me if I hear 'em rattling they're "just letting you know that you and he are sharing the same piece of real estate"

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 05:48:30 AM »
I've been neck deep through Florida swamps - literally. Don't be fooled on the gator's. While they won't just chase you down the interstate, when you're in their world you better watch you a$$. Honestly, the worst issue though is the cottonmouths. They are aggressive and will chase you. And yes, I am being serious. I've belly crawled through impenetrable vegetation after hogs I'd arrowed from one side of a bayhead to the other in mud, hog crap and spiders with nothing but a knife; all the while waiting to be attacked by a hog or a cottonmouth or pygmy rattler. Fortunately  it ain't happened - yet. Steve

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 09:15:02 AM »
I've been neck deep through Florida swamps - literally. Don't be fooled on the gator's. While they won't just chase you down the interstate, when you're in their world you better watch you a$$. Honestly, the worst issue though is the cottonmouths. They are aggressive and will chase you. And yes, I am being serious. I've belly crawled through impenetrable vegetation after hogs I'd arrowed from one side of a bayhead to the other in mud, hog crap and spiders with nothing but a knife; all the while waiting to be attacked by a hog or a cottonmouth or pygmy rattler. Fortunately  it ain't happened - yet. Steve

We were miles and miles from any interstate, or even a decent road in most places.  But he sound of the bikes skeered the 'gators off long before we were close.  Except when we came up on them out of nowhere fast, and still we were a bit distant. Amazing how fast they can stand up on all fours and at the same time shoot off like a bullet  ;D

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 09:47:24 AM »
I'm so jealous of you and SOP! I am ready for some adventure riding. It'll be at least another 3 months before I can venture into the mountains on a bike.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 02:45:01 PM »
I'm so jealous of you and SOP! I am ready for some adventure riding. It'll be at least another 3 months before I can venture into the mountains on a bike.
Come join us in AZ this March!!  45ish days away ;D

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 03:08:26 PM »
Come join us in AZ this March!!  45ish days away ;D

If I'm still unemployed then, I might take you up on that!  8)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 03:24:10 PM »
If I'm still unemployed then, I might take you up on that!  8)

Thats my attitude if I get layyyyd off!

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 04:30:52 PM »
Steve, a whole bunch of us Coggers are doing this ride.
Are you coming?
http://forum.dixiedualsport.com/post/cfl-2014-the-everglades-edition-6700425
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 05:15:40 PM »
Steve, your experience with alligators is a little different than mine, but I got close and personal with them when I worked in the Lakes Department at the City of Winter Park, FL.

Glad you all didn't come across any Meth labs out there in the swamps, or jettisoned cargo.  Carrying isn't going to help much against the weapons they carry.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 10:12:02 PM »
Steve, a whole bunch of us Coggers are doing this ride.
Are you coming?
http://forum.dixiedualsport.com/post/cfl-2014-the-everglades-edition-6700425

I my be in Baja during this event, not sure yet. Which ride are you all doing of the two options?

1. Adventure: Paved/Dirt Roads Route
2. All Paved Sport-Touring Route

Steve, your experience with alligators is a little different than mine, but I got close and personal with them when I worked in the Lakes Department at the City of Winter Park, FL.

Glad you all didn't come across any Meth labs out there in the swamps, or jettisoned cargo.  Carrying isn't going to help much against the weapons they carry.

We came across all kinds of suspect stuff when we were out there on bikes, part of the adventure.  Same when we're in the most rural parts of Death Valley/CA/AZ out west and such. We didn't bother them, they didn't bother us.  The pack of mexicans on one of the canopy thick trails acting like they were spraying weeds really blew my mind, but they didn't bother us either.  Maybe everyone suspected our crowd was packing but either way no one wanted trouble out there. Same with out west, no one wanted or even hinted at trouble for no reason with crazy motorcyclists doing what we do.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 09:07:47 AM »
I my be in Baja during this event, not sure yet. Which ride are you all doing of the two options?

We came across all kinds of suspect stuff when we were out there on bikes, part of the adventure.  Same when we're in the most rural parts of Death Valley/CA/AZ out west and such. We didn't bother them, they didn't bother us.  The pack of mexicans on one of the canopy thick trails acting like they were spraying weeds really blew my mind, but they didn't bother us either.  Maybe everyone suspected our crowd was packing but either way no one wanted trouble out there. Same with out west, no one wanted or even hinted at trouble for no reason with crazy motorcyclists doing what we do.

Can't do that in Baja. 20 years in the worst kind of prison just for possession.

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 07:49:36 AM »
I'd worry more about those everglades mosquitos than the gators.  Sure, Alaska skeeters are bigger, but the glades ones are more aggressive.  They will bite you right through your clothes.  Damn blood suckers

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 04:40:43 PM »

Please come with us. We are going to have a lot of fun.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 07:15:56 PM »
I'd worry more about those everglades mosquitos than the gators.  Sure, Alaska skeeters are bigger, but the glades ones are more aggressive.  They will bite you right through your clothes.  Damn blood suckers

They weren't an issue this time of year