Author Topic: wont start - fuel bars flashing!  (Read 2466 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
wont start - fuel bars flashing!
« on: December 16, 2016, 10:49:37 AM »
Keypass operating, cranking healthily but will not fire. Just finished reinstalling my battery and also had my tank off, running some acc. wires under tank.

When I hit the start button, engine cranks and the fuel gauge bars flash and go up and down. I have never seen this before, anybody ?
Going out to raise tank and look for problem. Any ideas welcomed.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: wont start - fuel bars flashing!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 11:24:24 AM »
If it was fine before you worked on it....you done something to it.  Go back and check everything again.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 12:34:03 PM »
If it was fine before you worked on it....you done something to it.  Go back and check everything again.
I did, the fuel range mod had come disconnected. All is well now!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 12:49:48 PM »
Too bad I did not see this earlier.

Yep, when you disconnect the fuel pump harness and turn the ignition on, what you get is the top three bars and then the bottom three bars of the fuel gauge flash on and off in turn. That is how the ECU tells you it cannot sense the fuel pump out there. The other thing that goes along with this is that you will not hear the fuel pump run when you turn on the ignition (it runs for three seconds before shutting off) but most people are not really paying much attention to that, and you cannot hear it with a helmet or helmet and hearing protection anyway.... at least I cannot.

BTW- nothing to do with the L.F.W.E., the bike will do the same thing with my harness in place or not. In fact, that is one of the tests I do to all of my circuits before sending them out (though not in the bike, I do it on the bench).

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 12:58:38 PM »

Excellent! 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 04:01:47 PM »
The other thing that goes along with this is that you will not hear the fuel pump run when you turn on the ignition (it runs for three seconds before shutting off) but most people are not really paying much attention to that, and you cannot hear it with a helmet or helmet and hearing protection anyway.... at least I cannot.

It is pretty loud- I can and do hear and notice it every time I turn on the ignition, even with helmet and hearing protection.  And I am usually sitting on bike so I can feel it, too.  I always wait until the pump is done before trying to start the bike.  Not sure if that is required or expected or if it even matters, it just seems like the right thing to do.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 05:00:36 PM »
When I saw the wacko behavior of the fuel bars I figured it was trying to tell me something, either that or I had fried the sucker. I had managed to mangle the clip that holds the diabolical connectors together when I installed Brian's module and it was just held together by the snug fit. Raising the tank to access the accessory wires pulled it apart.  I have it taped together now.