Author Topic: Fork leak?  (Read 11362 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Fork leak?
« on: May 29, 2012, 01:30:19 PM »
I see a small streak of oil path down my left fork. No dripping yet, but that side is moist with oil. What is the urgency factor to get this fixed? I have not called the dealer yet. And would love to have a recommendation for a good dealer around central illinois or St Louis area.

The one in Sprigfield, IL is closest, but not sure how good they are.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
Re: Fork leak?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 01:51:06 PM »
I would spend $5 and clean it with a SealMate before taking it to the dealer. 
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 02:09:52 PM »
Seal Mate the Tool that Fixes Leaking Fork Seals

Interesting.  Never knew something like that existed.  Thanks, Clyde.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 02:33:39 PM »
that is awesome. its worth a try for sure if you have a leak cuz theres nothing to lose!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 02:35:04 PM »
I don't have a leak but I've got about 48k on the fluid and seals.  Think it's probably time to change them out.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 04:51:37 PM »
I've fixed leaks on 3 bikes w/ the SealMate.  As noted, if the fork oil is old or the leak has been going on a while, a fork oil change is still a good idea.  Seals can last a long time if they are not actually damaged.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 07:09:50 PM »
It is a must to keep bugs off your forks, I am beyond anal retentive about that. The guards do help allot, but bugs and road grime can cause leaks for sure "but can be fixed" as you have seen. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline JeffM

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 07:19:43 PM »
That's really slick. Great info.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 08:03:29 PM »
I'm at 53,000 on my '10, if I see my seals appear to be leaking I'm changing to a fresh battery in my KiPass
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline strester

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 02:52:54 PM »
If you have OLD film roll, it also works great. What ever you use no sharp points. The seals are not hard to do. If you take your time and clean them well you may not have to. Also if you do the job yourself be sure to set up a clean area and take care not damage or scratch the tubes.
All that is needed for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing....Edmund Burke
(2008 c14 silver)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 01:27:26 PM »
Well, looks like it happened to me.  I started noticing what I thought was a spot on the left side ground near the front weel a few weeks ago.  I had been mostly riding at night, so I didn't see much with a flashlight.  The spot was oily, but mixed with other stuff and impossible to identify.  So I cleaned it well and waited.  Noticed it again last night, so today I went in for a good look.  BOTH forks are leaking (32,600 miles, never touched).  I took photos first, then I cleaned them lightly with paper towels and reassessed (and took another photo).  At the front bottom of both tubes, it was not smooth.  So I removed the reflectors and the bolts that held the fender for better access.  I was unable to remove the stupid brake line retainer clips so I couldn't get the fender all the way off.  I then moved to bug/tar remover spray on the towels and worked on it.  Then I moved to a sharp piece of soft wood to try and scrape.  And I soaked the wood in bug cleaner and scraped and scraped and worked on it until I finally gave up (then removed the bug cleaner and cleaned up everywhere the oil had leaked).

There are still some rough areas that feel like perhaps scratches or pits in the metal, only at the bottom inch or so of the front of each tube).  Not willing to try anything more drastic at this point.  Put fender back.  Then started the bike and ran forward and stopped hard, several times.  Each time, the top few inches of the tubes were coated in a very thin layer of clean fork oil.   This is probably my fault for not realizing how important it must be to keep the tubes clean, ESPECIALLY in the barely accessible areas at the front near the bottom.

I am not sure how much oil I have lost.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 09:59:29 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 09:00:27 PM »
I am not sure how much oil I have lost.

Yep, rode twice tonight and stopped at 30 miles each and they are still weeping.  Ordering the Seal Mate.  But checked the factory manual and I don't see any way to check level or add oil/fluid without totally removing the fork tubes.  :(
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 09:05:25 AM »
Just had mine redone.  Going to start installing them back this afternoon.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 09:36:32 AM »
Are they still in the Dodge?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 10:15:26 AM »
Nope.  Leaning against the work bench at the moment and not on the shelf.

Offline tjhess74

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 08:56:50 PM »
I had a leaky left fork too. I replaced the seals twice before I realized something else was wrong. Upon closer inspection, I saw I had a super small vertical scratch in the tube that was allowing fluid bypass. I used some fine emory cloth and got her back to normal.  There have been no leaks since!
'08 C14 Steve's Flash Rocks!!!

The 'other' forum evicted me!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 10:03:01 PM »
I had a leaky left fork too. I replaced the seals twice before I realized something else was wrong. Upon closer inspection, I saw I had a super small vertical scratch in the tube that was allowing fluid bypass. I used some fine emory cloth and got her back to normal.  There have been no leaks since!

That is one of my concerns about that rough area I discovered that would not clean.  I hadn't researched polishing the area yet- my initial thought would be I could do more damage than just leaving it alone.  My "Sealmate" should arrive tomorrow and I will attempt to clean the seals as soon as possible, if I can figure out how to remove the damn "brake hose clamps" on the fender.  The factory manual is utterly unhelpful, it just says "remove" them with no indication as to how.  I pulled and pulled and twisted and rocked and pulled and gave up, convinced I would break them.  A mechanic, I am not.

Offline bowtie39

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 06:35:31 AM »
That is one of my concerns about that rough area I discovered that would not clean.  I hadn't researched polishing the area yet- my initial thought would be I could do more damage than just leaving it alone.  My "Sealmate" should arrive tomorrow and I will attempt to clean the seals as soon as possible, if I can figure out how to remove the damn "brake hose clamps" on the fender.  The factory manual is utterly unhelpful, it just says "remove" them with no indication as to how.  I pulled and pulled and twisted and rocked and pulled and gave up, convinced I would break them.  A mechanic, I am not.
IIRC....got behind it (tire side) with a needle nose.  Have to squeeze it together to slip it thru hole.  Also why I cut them off afterwards and use black zip ties to hold hose now.  Or....after you commit to taking the things off your bike, just cut them where they hold the hose so they no longer are holding the hose.  Then you are able to get fender off and you can deal with a suitable replacement. 
'16 Moondust Gray....gone  2001....the keeper

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 06:50:50 AM »
I cut mine off (easy boys) and left them off. Hoses don't flop around. If you're anal and have to have them you can always buy a bag of spares.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 10:41:53 AM »
I broke off my hose retaining clips as well. I just got mad at them and yanked 'em off. IIRC the "best" way to remove them is to (remove the wheel?), then place a socket (5mm???) over the nubs that stick through while pulling from the outside. The "better" way (my way  :) ) is to just break them off and then drill another hole about 1/4 inch lower than the clip hole and run a cable tie through both holes and cinch it down and trim. Now you'll have a vertical band that you can easily slip a new cable tie through and around the hose (not cinched down tight) when ever you need to remove the fender.  gPink's way might just be good enough, but I have two sets of wires going down each side that need to be secured as well so I like having an attach point there.

Yeah, my right seal is leaking too now at 75+k. Are seals considered wear items like brake pads?...or are they covered under warranty?