Author Topic: Secondary Butterflies  (Read 69406 times)

Offline kjk concours

Re: Secondary Butterflies
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 07:11:34 PM »
If I just remove the flies will it hurt anything, or do I need a reflash or powercammder.

Offline koskn8r

• Scott Koskey in Omaha, NE
    • Koskey.net Web Page
Re: Flies are gone-What a bike
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2014, 07:58:13 PM »
I'm learning soooooo much on this forum...   :-*

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Flies are gone-What a bike
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 11:22:10 PM »
If I just remove the flies will it hurt anything,

Yes, it will reduce the effectiveness of the traction control system.  Does that matter?  Maybe

or do I need a reflash or powercammder.

That depends on your objectives.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 07:46:29 AM »
I don't think anyone knows, or at least they have not reported the longer term effects.

It will absolutely work for the short term and apparently the bike will run very well that way. It might be a bit lean in some engine speed / RPM combinations but again, it has not been actually measured and those who did remove the 'flies and do nothing else never came back and gave any reports after the bike had a bunch of miles on it. ??

Brian

If I just remove the flies will it hurt anything, or do I need a reflash or powercammder.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 08:03:06 AM »
Only way to tell for sure would be dyno time or installing an O2 sensor and a/f meter. As Brian said, no one has reported any burnt valves from a too lean mixture.

Offline kjk concours

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 08:49:46 AM »
It's a 2008 no traction control.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 09:28:15 AM »
It's a 2008 no traction control.

In that case, I would say you have little to lose (except time) and a lot to gain.  Most of us seriously doubt it will affect anything else negatively.  Presumably the main purpose of the secondary butterflies was to "tame" the bike, making it less aggressive at lower RPM's... I suppose because Kawasaki believed touring types would be scared of 1400cc's.  It probably also helps some with emissions and mileage (by forcing a lighter initial throttle).  Using it for traction control came later.... and that function is in additional to ignition control (which is probably just as or perhaps more important).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2014, 09:36:42 AM »
I suppose because Kawasaki believed touring types would be scared of 1400cc's.

Don't forget, the ZX14 rocketship also has secondary butterflies.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2014, 09:57:26 AM »
Yep, and the come out the exact same way- but they are bigger. This is a set of those pesky ZX flies caught on flypaper....

The bike ran OK without them but throttle response fell off quite a bit and low and mid- range power were lacking. The bike's owner had a custom PC III map made for the bike on a dyno and that brought it to life.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2014, 12:49:59 PM »

Yes, probably for similar reasons, but they are also programmed differently; I suspect with more power in mind.  Lots of bikes have secondary butterflies.  It is the pre-cursor to throttle-by wire.  Truly modern tech won't need them, because when you disconnect the throttle from the [primary] butterflies, the computer then has full control.

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 05:25:47 AM »

I removed the flies on mine and rode it that way with just a slip on exhaust for almost 2 years,about 40K km's before going the PCV route with dyno time,full exhaust and ZX throttle bodies. No hassles whatsoever!!  :)

Offline pasini510

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2015, 01:54:21 PM »
Thanks to all the info that I gain on this forum ,I finally pulled my flies. Wow , it pulls from get go and even feels more responsive at higher crusing RPM.

[removed info duplicated into a new thread]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 04:39:11 PM by maxtog »
Andre

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2015, 02:59:55 PM »
Thanks to all the info that I gain on this forum ,I finally pulled my flies. Wow , it pulls from get go and even feels more responsive at higher crusing RPM.

Congratulations!

Amazing isn't it?  It is the single best performance mod you can make (removing secondary butterflies or zapping them with an ECU reflash)- nothing else will even come close.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2015, 06:52:10 AM »
Congratulations!

Amazing isn't it?  It is the single best performance mod you can make (removing secondary butterflies or zapping them with an ECU reflash)- nothing else will even come close.

Kawa might disagree. The single best performance mod is bolting on a supercharger  ;D
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2015, 03:47:07 PM »
Kawa might disagree. The single best performance mod is bolting on a supercharger  ;D

Well, it would be hard to compete with that.  Oh, and DO let us know when they make that mod available for our bike :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2015, 04:22:16 AM »
I thing someone did do that in the past.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2015, 05:28:23 AM »
wasn't it a Turbo? I think it was that guy with the dog, quite a character. Not like the rest of us  ;)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2015, 05:40:49 AM »
There's been three turbos here that I can think of. Two of which didn't end well.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2015, 07:05:43 AM »
wasn't it a Turbo? I think it was that guy with the dog, quite a character. Not like the rest of us  ;)

Could have been..I get the two confused.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2015, 06:28:32 AM »
News flash: most tuners including Ivan from NY produced more power with the flies in.

Even Area P received 20 hp gains with flies in.

Ivan tuned my 2013 ZX14-R. . .fastest bike on the planet
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:58:07 AM by Gigantor »

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4