Author Topic: MCE Gen. 1 Canyon Cage Group Buy Through July 19th!  (Read 103450 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: MCE Gen. 1 Canyon Cage Group Buy Through July 19th!
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2012, 05:07:07 PM »
Should I start pulling out the quotations from people about how the gen 1 would sell so many more than the gen 2???  I feel the laughing coming on now :) :)

<evil smile>

The Gen 1 owners are busy riding, while the Gen 2 owners just look at their slower bikes and talk about how superior it is compared to the faster Gen 1 bikes..
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2012, 05:11:32 PM »
Should I start pulling out the quotations from people about how the gen 1 would sell so many more than the gen 2???  I feel the laughing coming on now :) :)

<evil smile>
Maybe you should instead ask why the gen 1 folks aren't buying. I'll start. I don't care for the way they look. I think the development process was handicapped by time constraints on the loaner bike which I understand. I also think also think a better looking and possibly better working product could have been developed if the drill option could have been explored. These comments are not a negative criticism of Ryan or MCE who I believe have been one of the most customer oriented companies I have had the pleasure of doing business with. I have the small rear bars from the earlier buy and was hoping for a product that was more to my taste. As always JMHO.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2012, 05:17:36 PM »
The Gen 1 owners are busy riding, while the Gen 2 owners just look at their slower bikes and talk about how superior it is compared to the faster Gen 1 bikes..

HA!

But I ain't riding today- no way.  It is 7:17pm.  When I checked an hour ago, it was still 101.6F with 60% humidity.  Barf!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2012, 06:44:10 PM »
Maybe you should instead ask why the gen 1 folks aren't buying. I'll start. I don't care for the way they look. I think the development process was handicapped by time constraints on the loaner bike which I understand. I also think also think a better looking and possibly better working product could have been developed if the drill option could have been explored. These comments are not a negative criticism of Ryan or MCE who I believe have been one of the most customer oriented companies I have had the pleasure of doing business with. I have the small rear bars from the earlier buy and was hoping for a product that was more to my taste. As always JMHO.

I understand and respect your opinion.  With that in mind for the money these will provide the best protection that I can afford.  The Top Blocks are by far the best looking and would have worked with my pegs (Ronnies) but at 700.00 there was just no way.  I had the GSG sliders and they looked fine but would doubtfully compare in protection.  Projektd, well I just don't like them.  So with all this in mind I decided the Canyons were the best option.  Sure they may have looked better if the plastic was drilled but I think that may have scared more people off.  There is another option in the works but that product is 6 months out and not for me to share at this time.   

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2012, 07:24:54 PM »
I think there are a few reasons that the 2008-2009 Canyon Cage won't outsell the Canyon Cage for the 2010-2012 Connie. That's not to say it isn't a great product though. I truly believe it is in both looks and functionality, especially for the price! The 2010-2012 has an extra model year worth of bikes out on the road and possibly two once the 2013 Connie comes out. Aside from that, most people with a 2008-2009 have had their bikes for quite some time so the people who wanted tip-over protection have already purchased a set from another company. Generally, people with the 2010-2012's have purchased their bikes more recently and haven't had as much time to find and/or purchase suitable tip-over protection. This makes the production of the Canyon Cage more opportune for the owners of the newer bikes which is going to lead to more sales.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2012, 07:37:47 PM »
Sounds logical to me, I will be happy with 20%    :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2012, 09:40:31 PM »
Maybe you should instead ask why the gen 1 folks aren't buying. I'll start. I don't care for the way they look. I think the development process was handicapped by time constraints on the loaner bike which I understand. I also think also think a better looking and possibly better working product could have been developed if the drill option could have been explored. These comments are not a negative criticism of Ryan or MCE who I believe have been one of the most customer oriented companies I have had the pleasure of doing business with.

:goodpost:      I agree...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2012, 06:37:38 AM »
HA!

But I ain't riding today- no way.  It is 7:17pm.  When I checked an hour ago, it was still 101.6F with 60% humidity.  Barf!

What a baby!    ;)  On Thursday when I rode home it was 114 with the heat index. Ok, it wasn't fun, but I rode, in full gear too.    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2012, 06:39:20 AM »

+1!

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2012, 06:43:28 AM »

<evil smile>

Please do, only if it's not too much trouble?

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2012, 09:17:53 AM »

More than anything, I think we were spoiled by all the time and interaction on the first build.  Who really does that?  After that experience, MC probably just wanted to get this done.   It still beats the hell out of bathroom bars.......:)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2012, 10:09:18 AM »
I think the biggest reason is that most of us have some sort of protection by now.  I already had the short bars on the back and have the GSG sliders in the center.  I'm going to remove those and get the Canyon Cages, though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2012, 08:15:14 AM »
While I certainly do not want to dispute those that stated less of a design time, but inspite of that it would have been impractical to believe that MCE would have sold 2008-2009 bars more than 2010-2012. Even if they come out with a drilled option, that would be a higher risk of not getting the return of investment on the earlier models. This is apart from the fact they had limited availability of a bike. You have to realize that they are in business for profit and have to count their beans. I think they are correct in the assumption that the later model bikes outnumber the earlier model and that a good % of earlier model bikes already have some sort of protection. Some people may not want to toss that investment - unlike Jim. So, considering the constraints, I appreciate that come up with a good design that most people like AND giving us a good discount. Needless to say, it is going to be hard to please everyone.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2012, 09:54:29 AM »
More than anything, I think we were spoiled by all the time and interaction on the first build.  Who really does that?  After that experience, MC probably just wanted to get this done.   It still beats the hell out of bathroom bars.......:)

I'm beginning to wonder if I've set a dangerous precedent...

I think the biggest reason is that most of us have some sort of protection by now.  I already had the short bars on the back and have the GSG sliders in the center.  I'm going to remove those and get the Canyon Cages, though.

Thanks, Jim! To me, that really says something about what the community thinks about our new Canyon Cages! People are willing to replace current protection in order to use our guards.  ;D I'd be lying if I said that didn't make me feel good!

While I certainly do not want to dispute those that stated less of a design time, but inspite of that it would have been impractical to believe that MCE would have sold 2008-2009 bars more than 2010-2012. Even if they come out with a drilled option, that would be a higher risk of not getting the return of investment on the earlier models. This is apart from the fact they had limited availability of a bike. You have to realize that they are in business for profit and have to count their beans. I think they are correct in the assumption that the later model bikes outnumber the earlier model and that a good % of earlier model bikes already have some sort of protection. Some people may not want to toss that investment - unlike Jim. So, considering the constraints, I appreciate that come up with a good design that most people like AND giving us a good discount. Needless to say, it is going to be hard to please everyone.

It is definitely difficult to please everyone. All you can do is your absolute best and hope people realize and appreciate it. There's always going to be someone out there with something negative to say, unfortunately. I think we've done a good job in listening to the community and creating a product that most of you like and that protects the bike well at a very reasonable cost, especially compared to protection offered by other companies. Thank you for being one of the people who realize and appreciate the hard work we've put in to making a product specifically for YOU guys!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Slideways

« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2012, 03:57:47 PM »
Total newbie blunder, this was posted on the Gen 2 Group Buy thread 'cause I wasn't paying attention. Sigh. Posted it originally on 6/26/12. So now it is here where it should be...

MC Enterprises is just a few miles from where I live so I rode over today and plunked down money for Canyon Cages. Got to meet Ryan, the one who watches and interacts with the forum, sets up these group buys, etc. Also got the cooks tour from Mike, the CEO and janitor. Some interesting equipment in the manufacturing area. I was a machinist and manufacturing engineer for years before I opened up my bicycle shop (don't tell my mom, she still thinks I'm playin' piano down at the cat house). The machine that twists the square stock is a homemade job. The motor started out life as the power to open concrete doors to missile silos and the rest was a threading machine. Several screw machines from the 1940s. A very clean and very big polishing room that was in full swing, hard to keep the walls white in a polishing room but theirs were. Several older bikes in the lobby from the 1960s and 1970s. My favorite was a Kawasaki H2 Mack IV, that one took me back. All in all a very nice facility and a great crew.

Ryan thinks our group buy will reach the 25% discount level. Way to go all you 2008 & 2009 owners.

Ryan also responded and was nice enough not to call me out on being a dummy:

"Thanks for the kind words, slideways! I apologize I didn't have more time to speak with you since I was trying to close out my responsibilities for the day but I'm glad you enjoyed stopping by! Thanks for your order and I hope you enjoy the Canyon Cages once you pick them up!"
If it can't be fixed with a hammer you can sure as hell teach it a lesson.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2012, 09:54:27 AM »
Thanks again for the compliments, Slideways! Just to update everyone, we're currently at 28 orders so we're really close to the maximum discount!

UPDATE: 29 orders!

Offline leyenda30

« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2012, 12:54:03 PM »
I think the reason for the slow orders on Gen1 bars is due to the group buy of the bathroom bars just prior to the canyon cages coming on the scene. The numbers for bathroom bars which Ryan has probably tells the story best.  JP
08 Kawasaki Concours
05 Honda VTX
07 Husky SM610 sold

Offline davidnixon

« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2012, 05:45:04 PM »
Can someone provide the approximate weight of the front bars?  rear bars?  does the discount apply to front and rear?

thanks,

dave
'09 CONC
'98 CONC (sold)
'98 CR 250

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2012, 06:58:05 PM »
Quote from: davidnixon link=to[move
[/move]pic=9386.msg117287#msg117287 date=1341531904]
Can someone provide the approximate weight of the front bars?  rear bars?  does the discount apply to front and rear?

thanks,

dave

Awww, man! I would have been able to answer that if this was posted a bit earlier and I was still in the office. If someone else hasn't mounted their bars and can weigh them, that'd be awesome. Otherwise we'll have to wait til Monday when I have a chance to weigh the Canyon Cage and Saddle Bag Guards at work. I want to say the Canyon Cage is probably 12-14lbs total whereas the Saddle Bag Guards are probably 5-7lbs total. These are just my guesstimations, though. I can tell you for sure, though, that the discount does apply to both the front and rear guards if you purchase them during the group buy.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2012, 09:10:40 PM »
Can someone provide the approximate weight of the front bars?

I can say that the box my gen2 front canyons came in said they were 20 pounds.  I did not weight them.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc