Author Topic: Got snow!  (Read 10761 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Got snow!
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2018, 03:40:35 PM »
Got an inch of snow here- it is a non- event. Temps. so high (36F) that all the snow is melting off everything but the driveway and an inch of snow is not worth bothering with.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2018, 04:20:08 PM »
Dec 2016 I drove around Detroit for a work project, and then thru Sarnia into Canada and all over that farmland area north side of Lake Erie ... from Sarnia to Chatham-Kent, Leamington, Lakeshore ... wind mill country, flat and windy ... and cold. Well I'm from FL, and had no experience driving in snow/ice. One evening on a long, straight, flat road where I could see for miles ahead since no trees, as I approached the stop sign at a tee, I pressed the brakes in my Titan .. and nothing. What the?? Are they frozen? Are the completely gone?? I got absolutely nothing, and my ABS didn't chatter either. Pumped the brakes and still no response at all. I was able to steer every so slightly to get the right side tires off the road and into the snow beside the pavement ... and ended up stopping with my front bumper exactly over top of the white line of the crossing road ... right as a car whizzed by. YIKES. Panic. Heart racing. PHEW. OK ... WHAT THE?? I opened my door, put a foot down, and my foot immediately shot out from under me and I banged my elbow on the truck and my other knee on the ice covered pavement. OUCH. OK, so then I knew I was sliding on ice so smooth it didn't even trigger my ABS.

I drove a loooooooooot slower after that  :-\

Now I have experience driving on ice. I do not recommend it  :-[

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2018, 04:42:11 PM »
Dec 2016 I drove around Detroit for a work project, and then thru Sarnia into Canada and all over that farmland area north side of Lake Erie ... from Sarnia to Chatham-Kent, Leamington, Lakeshore ... wind mill country, flat and windy ... and cold. Well I'm from FL, and had no experience driving in snow/ice. One evening on a long, straight, flat road where I could see for miles ahead since no trees, as I approached the stop sign at a tee, I pressed the brakes in my Titan .. and nothing. What the?? Are they frozen? Are the completely gone?? I got absolutely nothing, and my ABS didn't chatter either. Pumped the brakes and still no response at all. I was able to steer every so slightly to get the right side tires off the road and into the snow beside the pavement ... and ended up stopping with my front bumper exactly over top of the white line of the crossing road ... right as a car whizzed by. YIKES. Panic. Heart racing. PHEW. OK ... WHAT THE?? I opened my door, put a foot down, and my foot immediately shot out from under me and I banged my elbow on the truck and my other knee on the ice covered pavement. OUCH. OK, so then I knew I was sliding on ice so smooth it didn't even trigger my ABS.

I drove a loooooooooot slower after that  :-\

Now I have experience driving on ice. I do not recommend it  :-[

Me and a friend in high school use to make extra money during christmas break pulling people that were visiting from down south for the holidays out of the ditches. I grew up in Illinois farm country where the closest major town was about 35 miles away. Tow trucks were not something you would see in that area. We never charged anyone, but they would always pay us something for helping them.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2018, 04:45:24 PM »
as I approached the stop sign at a tee, I pressed the brakes in my Titan .. and nothing. What the?? Are they frozen? Are the completely gone?? I got absolutely nothing, and my ABS didn't chatter either. Pumped the brakes and still no response at all. I was able to steer every so slightly to get the right side tires off the road and into the snow beside the pavement ... and ended up stopping with my front bumper exactly over top of the white line of the crossing road ... right as a car whizzed by. YIKES. Panic. Heart racing. PHEW. OK ... WHAT THE?? I opened my door, put a foot down, and my foot immediately shot out from under me and I banged my elbow on the truck and my other knee on the ice covered pavement. OUCH. OK, so then I knew I was sliding on ice so smooth it didn't even trigger my ABS.

That is strange, I would think it should have triggered your ABS unless it was just broken!  Or is it somehow possible to fool it by locking all 4 wheels at exactly the same time (so it doesn't know you are actually moving anymore)?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2018, 04:51:58 PM »
That is strange, I would think it should have triggered your ABS unless it was just broken!  Or is it somehow possible to fool it by locking all 4 wheels at exactly the same time (so it doesn't know you are actually moving anymore)?

Normally the tires regain traction when the abs pulses off. If there is no traction to be had, I imagine the tires would not rotate, therefore, you wouldn't feel the pulsing of the ABS. The wheel has to turn for it to work. 
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2018, 05:25:38 PM »
We've gotten 2-3 inches of snow here. Just enough for them to make a total mess of the roads with salt and sand again. I'll be glad when winter is finally over!!! Here are a couple pictures my wife took this afternoon of our side and front yard.

2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2018, 06:58:09 PM »
Further south near the NC border, they got 7 inches..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2018, 09:38:57 PM »
Further south near the NC border, they got 7 inches..

Almost midnight and still snowing... but not much.  I think we have maybe 2" now.  Friend in Chesapeake said they are at about 3.5" now.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2018, 12:01:45 PM »
53 degrees and sunny! They are calling for it to hit 60 degrees this weekend. Beautiful riding weather... but everything is covered in salt and sand.  :banghead:
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline Conrad

« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2018, 08:03:27 AM »
Winter storm warning in place starting tonight @6 through tomorrow night @6 with additional amounts on Sat and Sun.

100% chance of snow, 6" to 14" with local heavier amounts possible plus whatever comes down over the weekend. This is on top of the 6 to 8" already on the ground.    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2018, 08:26:51 AM »
Supposed to be 45 and sunny today. Be glad to be rid of this 1/16 inch of ice from Tuesdays freezing rain.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2018, 09:47:04 AM »
We got lucky, no freezing rain or snow or sleet...just rain.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2018, 06:18:57 AM »
Not much new snow lately other than the occasional dusting of nusience (?) snow now and then, but it's continued cold.
-18F this morning. Again. I actually usually like winter, but it's been a cold one up here this year.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.