Author Topic: wix 24941 - too high between o-rings  (Read 3887 times)

Offline julianop

wix 24941 - too high between o-rings
« on: August 24, 2014, 08:50:08 PM »
I'm doing an oil change, and bought a WIX 24941, which I read all over to be a valid replacement for the Kawi stock unit, but had problems getting the cover screwed on.
Pulled it apart again and measured, and found that the height between the top and bottom o-rings - or seals - is too large.
Do I got a bum unit, or do I just crush the bugger till it fits?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:36:14 PM by julianop »
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline Summit670

Re: wix 24941 - too high between o-rings
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 09:10:21 PM »
Seems to be the right part number, at least for my 87.

make sure all the parts are where they are supposed to be.
Make sure the cover o-ring is in the cover groove.
Make sure the bolt o-ring is seating into the cover.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline julianop

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 09:34:05 PM »
Seems to be the right part number, at least for my 87.

Yes, I've seen that number all over the place - in this forum and elsewhere. I got the WIX from one of my local car parts stores.

make sure all the parts are where they are supposed to be.
Make sure the cover o-ring is in the cover groove.
Make sure the bolt o-ring is seating into the cover.

Yep, thanks for the suggestions, I've checked all that.

When I look at the top and bottom metal end caps, they are the same distance apart as the on previous one (a Kawi) but the stamped recesses in the center are not as deep. Also the rubber seals are slightly thicker, adding insult to injury. There's a good 3/16ths difference in the height between the seal faces - about 3/32 each side, as far as I can measure.

Oh well, I suppose it's off to Walmart to see if I can find something else. I gotta get the bike back on the road tomorrow to take me back down to Rockford (where it will sit, probably, till I can sell it.)

Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline JDM

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 07:00:34 AM »
I have used them before and have not noticed any problems. HTH
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline julianop

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 08:55:19 AM »
I have used them before and have not noticed any problems. HTH

I'm sure many people have.
In desperation I bought a ... choke ... Fram, and checked: sure enough, the dimensions of the WIX I bought are wrong. Must be a bad manufacture.

It has the correct P/N inked on one of the two end caps; very strange.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:51:58 AM by julianop »
Julian.
Elk River, MN.

Offline julianop

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 01:48:51 PM »
Yup, confirmed. My auto parts place (O'Reilly) brough in a Fram and another WIX. He compared them: definitely the WIX had incorrect dimensions. So a Fram it is, for now.
Julian.
Elk River, MN.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 06:15:00 AM »
In desperation I bought a ... choke ... Fram

Considerably more important to the brand of filter used is the fact that you changed the oil.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline julianop

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 06:43:34 AM »
Considerably more important to the brand of filter used is the fact that you changed the oil.

Yup, 10-4 to that :-)

Well I am actually quite religious about it, even though it's a royal pain doing it. I've been a relatively high mileage rider for the three years I've owned this bike, so I've had to be: when I put 720 miles on in one weekend, things could get a way from me really quickly. Still, lumpy shifts are always the indicator that a change is due. I put that ridiculously expensive Mobil 1 in this time - a gift to the next owner.
Julian.
Elk River, MN.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 12:05:57 PM »
Speaking of that, I hear some of you change filters every other oil change. Is that OK? And if I were to do that should I open and drain the oil from the filter housing and if not how much oil should I deduct from the 3 QT I normally pour in there.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 12:24:45 PM »
I do that.  I take out both drain plugs and don't mess with the oil filter plate.  I then just pour in 3 quarts (or is liters?).  Yes, I know, maybe its a little overfilled.  I have never foamed it or noticed any in the breather box, nor have I seen any smoke.  If I remember right, an "empty" engine holds 3.3 liters but an oil change is only about 3 liters because you can never get all of the oil out.  I think the filter area holds maybe 4 to 6 ounces if you don't remove it.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington