Author Topic: Bike question??  (Read 4103 times)

Offline snarf

• Arena
Bike question??
« on: June 15, 2011, 09:41:51 AM »
The gentleman that I bought my house from shows up and asks me if I wanted to take a look at his sons bike.  His son is over-seas; so he has little to no idea what the bike is (other than a honda). 
There are no markings on the bike.  Best i can tell is it is somewhere along the lines of a CR125 or a CRF150.
Will the vin give me any info i.e. year, make, model?
I need to order some parts and all this would be very handy to know.  I will post some pics later this evening
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: Bike question??
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 10:51:13 AM »
Well after a little more searching I definitely think it is a CR125.  Will the VIN tell me what year it is?
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:57:20 AM »
Unless it's extremely old, there should be a plate on the steering head that lists the year.

Or post a photo. I know all the CR years. If it has an aluminum frame, it's at least a '97. Give me some details and I can probably figure it out without seeing a photo.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 03:15:48 PM »
Its not old, a little beat up.  It looks like this picture.  I believe it has all aftermarket panels though.
It has a Boyeson factory Racing clutch cover. I will look for the year again, all I could find was the VIN stamped into the column.  It need a clutch cable and a few other small bits and pieces.  I am sure i will have to yank the carbs, it has been sitting for a few years :-\

2002 Conc

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 03:28:53 PM »
While you're at it, clean the reeds as well, may not hurt to just replace them, not expensive at all.  Soak the carb for some time, the 2 stroke mix tends to seperate then solidify everywhere you need fuel to flow.  Drain and clean the tank really good, it will save you some grief later.  Probably wont hurt to put in a new plug and check the rats nest AKA air filter.  One last thing, check the rubber boot and carb to engine gasket, a vacuum leak sinks these things.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 03:33:31 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Just what I needed; one more bike to play with :banghead:
2002 Conc

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 05:14:20 PM »
 well that worked from my new phone, lets try another pic

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:59:50 PM by snarf »
2002 Conc

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 08:00:07 AM »
Looks like 97-99 CR125. There should be a plate on the steering stem that lists the year. Can't imagine why it wouldn't be there.

PM me for help. I race these things (well, the bigger ones) so I know what it needs. "Soaking the reeds" is not something you do. They don't accumulate old gas, aren't part of the carb. You replace reeds as they get worn or chipped.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 12:47:45 PM »
Thanks...I sent ya pm
2002 Conc

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 07:00:25 PM »
What happens if you google the VIN? Usually works with parts numbers because Google bots record everything on websites and archive it. Parts numbers are just like word descriptions to Google.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 07:51:06 AM »
I found the year, I just wasnt looking hard enough.
2002 Conc